VN Ren'Py Mythos: Book One [v5.0.1 Hotfix] [Nine of Swords]

4.80 star(s) 63 Votes

Hullahopp

Dec 26, 2018
Just a couple quick comments on the poll:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I agree with the quantity vs quality thing, what makes an LI interesting is his personality. If there are too many, there is no screen time to get to know them (or the plot gets bogged down).

However, there is no tabula rasa character, even in a tabletop RPG. I mean, you can make up a character who is a British aristocratic fire mage, but then you have to act like a British aristocrat (and a fire mage).

Kylie/Kyle's role was to allow the player to explore this strange new world with/through them. We have to move on from there, not start from scratch with another average person.

Decisions can only affect the fate of the character, not his or her personality, otherwise they will ruin the narrative.
With my earlier example, for table-top role-playing: If the aristocratic fire mage decides to spit on the table in company, or breaks one of the basic rules of wizardry, the storyteller warns the player that this is not appropriate for the role. If he persists in his stupidity despite this, the storyteller will improvise some punishment.
The more bound format of the VN doesn't allow this, but I think it's more interesting to tell a story with gods/wizards than with civilians who accidentally get involved. (Yes, it depends on the skills of the writer, but I trust Nine.)

At least for me, it's more challenging to play with Sofia/Rami/Desmond, whose decisions can cause a world catastrophe, than with John Smith. A little man can have great story (Frodo, Lord of the Rings), it just gets annoying after a while that they need help all the time.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Nine of Swords

Brandu33

Apr 11, 2022
While I agree with the breaking character. The mundane person discovering the world of magic and semi gods is easier, to implement. If the character is already a mage or a godlike creature, you've to give him or her so much background to begin with.
Plus, a little someone stepping in the wrong path and fighting against impossible odds, discovering the gods' world, etc. is a very old story.
Such a simple person, could be invisible or dismissed as being of no import by powerful being, he could manage to acquire knowledge and act, like in the tv series the boys, or be chosen by some being to become an agent, or being given a glimpse so as to act as the "voice" of normies...
As usual, it all depend on the skill and inspiration of the story teller.
I just hope that this story teller, will continue to sew using the same thread, using the characters we know to create something knew, either the same heroine, and a new story or one of the other characters. Building a tapestry made of several books, games.

damnedfrog

Nov 11, 2020
Woke up to the news about the Francis Scott Key Bridge. I hope that you and all yours are okay, Nine.
Same, for me, listen to the radio this morning, and my attention was caught by the mention of Baltimore.
I know it's happen in the middle of the night, but I hope Nine of Swords that you, Morgana, your relatives and friends are alright.

Nine of Swords

Keeping the Legends Alive
Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Woke up to the news about the Francis Scott Key Bridge. I hope that you and all yours are okay, Nine.
Same, for me, listen to the radio this morning, and my attention was caught by the mention of Baltimore.
I know it's happen in the middle of the night, but I hope Nine of Swords that you, Morgana, your relatives and friends are alright.
Morgana and I are fine, as we were quite asleep when it happened. However we ARE shaken by the news, and it's caused something of a tizzy in my office.

damnedfrog

Nov 11, 2020

Hullahopp

Dec 26, 2018
View attachment 3481833

Ask the Dev - Nine Answers!

First of all, thank you for your replies. (I had a lot of questions, e.g. the very imaginative "How are you" came from me.)

I was, who asking about how much work you do on the game per day, as many people complained about the small size of the last update. Three hours a day (I guessed two hours a day) over 5 months is 420 hours of work.
Compare that to the size/quality. For those who still don't get what I'm talking about, I saw the following inscription on a war veteran's T-shirt, "If you weren't there, shut the fuck up".

Nine of Swords

Keeping the Legends Alive
Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Wait wait wait just a second. WTF? There is a Mythos Novel? Why has no on told me? Where can I find it?
It was just something I did for myself. I never sought to get it published or anything. :x It was quite different from the game, though. The main character (Jodi) was asexual, Sophia was a stoner, Rain was a visibly old woman, and Tara practically didn't exist.

Udayana

Oct 19, 2021
Norwegian Reggaeton, sure!

The girls are sexy indeed but the words are rather terrifying. Since there's a musical allusion to Ireland, it reminded me of what an Irish poet wrote around the 9th century.

"I bring you news
the stag bellows
winter snow
summer past

a high cold wind
low the sun
short its course
seas run strong

russet bracken
shape awry
wild goose raises
with a cry

cold lays hold
on wings of bird
an icy time
that is my news"

Which means: for now there's nothing to fear from Norsemen. Would some nostalgia of those blessed times remain?

Reactions: Hullahopp

Udayana

Oct 19, 2021
After the cheese theme week, no the weird norweigian-cubano music week. You're back in business Nine.
So I'm going to play too, even if mine is neither norweigian nor cuban;
Interesting, and much more peaceful, to say the least.

Reactions: Brandu33
4.80 star(s) 63 Votes