Mod Wolf RPG Imouto! Life ~Fantasy~ FFFox Mod

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

aerith12138

May 9, 2021
Hi, I am a player from China, and I am very grateful for your excellent work on this mod.

I was thrilled to learn that the new version added multilingual support. However, I still have some questions to ask you.

When I tried to create the translation files for (mod)version 1.5, I used the software Translate++ to translate the WolfRPG game, and the process went smoothly without any issues.

However, in this version, it seems that you have added multilingual support for the texts in the MOD. Does this mean I need to first translate the original game text in the .dat(or .mps) file, and then use the [Chinese Folder] to translate the texts used in the MOD?

Since WolfRPG integrates the text into the .dat file, each version update will overwrite this file. Does this mean that if we want to translate, we need to translate the dat file for each version?

If not, I would like to know how you switch between Japanese and English Vanilla texts in the game. Since I have already created a translation file for the Vanilla game version 1.4.3, if it can be directly applied, the translation work would become very easy.

By the way:

Is the reason for using txt files to create localized texts due to the limitations of WolfRPG? If it is possible to use files like JSON to compile all the texts that need translation, it would be much more convenient.

Thank you for your answer, and once again, thank you for your work.

Attachment: I have already translated about 80% of the content for version 1.5.0 of the game. If I need to update the version, does this mean I have to use Translate++ to re-translate again? (Since it's not possible to import accurately, this would require a lot of effort to proofread the differences between them.)

20240411224036.png

Last edited:

BlueFireNick

Apr 14, 2019
It would be better to have Chinese
Hi, I am a player from China, and I am very grateful for your excellent work on this mod.

I was thrilled to learn that the new version added multilingual support. However, I still have some questions to ask you.

When I tried to create the translation files for (mod)version 1.5, I used the software Translate++ to translate the WolfRPG game, and the process went smoothly without any issues.

However, in this version, it seems that you have added multilingual support for the texts in the MOD. Does this mean I need to first translate the original game text in the .dat(or .mps) file, and then use the [Chinese Folder] to translate the texts used in the MOD?

Since WolfRPG integrates the text into the .dat file, each version update will overwrite this file. Does this mean that if we want to translate, we need to translate the dat file for each version?

If not, I would like to know how you switch between Japanese and English Vanilla texts in the game. Since I have already created a translation file for the Vanilla game version 1.4.3, if it can be directly applied, the translation work would become very easy.

By the way:

Is the reason for using txt files to create localized texts due to the limitations of WolfRPG? If it is possible to use files like JSON to compile all the texts that need translation, it would be much more convenient.

Attachment: I have already translated about 80% of the content for version 1.5.0 of the game. If I need to update the version, does this mean I have to use Translate++ to re-translate again? (Since it's not possible to import accurately, this would require a lot of effort to proofread the differences between them.)

View attachment 3532664
So, yes, the text files are a result of WolfRPG limitations. I do not know if WolfRPG can read and accurately use json files, but at the same point, I myself do not know how to read and use json files :ROFLMAO:. I've had to learn WolfRPG from the ground up without any previous engine coding knowledge, so... In any case, WolfRPG stores all of the text in the common events and map files, so it'd all have to be manually coded over anyway.

The multilingual support is not just for the mod's 'content', but for the entire game. Since the mod overwrites the files containing all the text in-game, I'm manually linking the text in-game to txt files in a folder, allowing the text to originate externally of the common events and map files so that they will not be affected by mod updates or game updates, such as the DLC. Basically, the game now manually loads the contents of each txt file when loading text in the game. Since the location of these files will stay the same, the translated txt files can carry over between updates now (and even when I addon the DLC).

It isn't finished yet, but I plan to do this to all the text in-game, not just what my mod mods onto the game, allowing people to now translate without having to worry about losing progress or giving up hope of translating future content. You'll no longer need Translator++ once I'm finished, as all you'll need to do is download the Modular Languageset, rename it to Chinese, and then translate the individual txt files. Afterward, just click the new 'Language Icon' in-game to switch to your new language addon.

Hopefully that clears up all your questions. (y)

Reactions: noodler1300

panladi

Apr 6, 2024

By the way:

View attachment 3532664

You can first use Translation++ to translate the text messages in the data file, then copy the text to the corresponding txt files. We'll wait for BlueFireNick to finish writing the program. After that, we can compare the text, which has been completely extracted, with the data file you've translated. Then, we can copy the remaining text to the txt file in the language module folder.

I think BlueFireNick's intention in doing this is to make it easier to translate any new text files for DLCs or fffox mod updates in the future, without having to translate the text in the data file again, since all the text is already directed to the txt file in the language module.

aerith12138

May 9, 2021
You can first use Translation++ to translate the text messages in the data file, then copy the text to the corresponding txt files. We'll wait for BlueFireNick to finish writing the program. After that, we can compare the text, which has been completely extracted, with the data file you've translated. Then, we can copy the remaining text to the txt file in the language module folder.

I think BlueFireNick's intention in doing this is to make it easier to translate any new text files for DLCs or fffox mod updates in the future, without having to translate the text in the data file again, since all the text is already directed to the txt file in the language module.
So, yes, the text files are a result of WolfRPG limitations. I do not know if WolfRPG can read and accurately use json files, but at the same point, I myself do not know how to read and use json files :ROFLMAO:. I've had to learn WolfRPG from the ground up without any previous engine coding knowledge, so... In any case, WolfRPG stores all of the text in the common events and map files, so it'd all have to be manually coded over anyway.

The multilingual support is not just for the mod's 'content', but for the entire game. Since the mod overwrites the files containing all the text in-game, I'm manually linking the text in-game to txt files in a folder, allowing the text to originate externally of the common events and map files so that they will not be affected by mod updates or game updates, such as the DLC. Basically, the game now manually loads the contents of each txt file when loading text in the game. Since the location of these files will stay the same, the translated txt files can carry over between updates now (and even when I addon the DLC).

It isn't finished yet, but I plan to do this to all the text in-game, not just what my mod mods onto the game, allowing people to now translate without having to worry about losing progress or giving up hope of translating future content. You'll no longer need Translator++ once I'm finished, as all you'll need to do is download the Modular Languageset, rename it to Chinese, and then translate the individual txt files. Afterward, just click the new 'Language Icon' in-game to switch to your new language addon.

Hopefully that clears up all your questions. (y)

Thank you for your response.

The main issue currently is that after updating the version (updating the .dat file), the key-value pairs in Translate++ for the translated text undergo some changes. This leads to many abnormalities when directly applying the translation file from the old version (most of which are misalignments, requiring manual proofreading of each text).

If you could also extract the texts from the vanilla game, it would be possible to apply the previous translation files when updating the version.
I look forward to your updates and improvements, and thank you once again for your dedication.(y)

Btw:

The .txt files are too scattered (it seems that each file currently contains only one piece of text), which may lead to some translation errors when trying to understand the context during translation.
If possible, I could write a App to parse .json files and split them into .txt files. This way, translators would only need to translate the .json file, and then use the App to package it into .txt files.

JSON:
{
    "translateVersion": "1.5.0",
    "language": [
        "English",
        "Japanese",
        "Chinese"
    ],
    "contents": [
        {
            "content_id": "1",
            "output": "language.txt",
            "info": [
                "English",
                "日本語",
                "中文"
            ]
        },
        {
            "content_id": "2",
            "output": "folderA/Imouto.txt",
                "Imouto",
                " 妹さん ",
                "妹妹"
            ]
        },
        {
            "content_id": "3",
            "output": "folderA/brother/Onichan.txt",
                "Onichan",
                "兄",
                "哥"
            ]
        }
    ]
}

You could use a JSON structure similar to the one mentioned above to consolidate all the translation texts (and of course, you could store each language separately). Then use software to parse and output them as txt files. This approach would help maintain the translation files, and translators could also use the context to provide accurate translations of the text.

You could also store the JSONs for each language separately, but if stored together, it allows for quick reference to other languages for texts that are ambiguous or difficult to translate. These are just some of my suggestions, and I hope they are helpful to you.

Last edited:

BlueFireNick

Apr 14, 2019
Thank you for your response.

The main issue currently is that after updating the version (updating the .dat file), the key-value pairs in Translate++ for the translated text undergo some changes. This leads to many abnormalities when directly applying the translation file from the old version (most of which are misalignments, requiring manual proofreading of each text).

If you could also extract the texts from the vanilla game, it would be possible to apply the previous translation files when updating the version.
I look forward to your updates and improvements, and thank you once again for your dedication.(y)

Btw:

The .txt files are too scattered (it seems that each file currently contains only one piece of text), which may lead to some translation errors when trying to understand the context during translation.
If possible, I could write a App to parse .json files and split them into .txt files. This way, translators would only need to translate the .json file, and then use the App to package it into .txt files.

JSON:
{
    "translateVersion": "1.5.0",
    "language": [
        "English",
        "Japanese",
        "Chinese"
    ],
    "contents": [
        {
            "content_id": "1",
            "output": "language.txt",
                "English",
                "日本語",
                "中文"
            ]
        },
        {
            "content_id": "2",
            "output": "folderA/Imouto.txt",
                "Imouto",
                " 妹さん ",
                "妹妹"
            ]
        },
        {
            "content_id": "3",
            "output": "folderA/brother/Onichan.txt",
                "Onichan",
                "兄",
                "哥"
            ]
        }
    ]
}

You could use a JSON structure similar to the one mentioned above to consolidate all the translation texts (and of course, you could store each language separately). Then use software to parse and output them as txt files. This approach would help maintain the translation files, and translators could also use the context to provide accurate translations of the text.

You could also store the JSONs for each language separately, but if stored together, it allows for quick reference to other languages for texts that are ambiguous or difficult to translate. These are just some of my suggestions, and I hope they are helpful to you.
Thanks. I have near zero knowledge of json files, though the branching tree seems simple enough. For context files, I've been attempting to know the files based on location as I go (so GuildCommand01, then GuildCommand02, etc) to try and help see what text is around the line they're translating, as well as the possibility of looking at the original JP file of the same name, but yes, I feel that context can get lost easily enough. It can be hard just translating from Japanese to English even with all the code in front of me to use as context. However, hopefully between the retranslated English, the surrounding txt files, and the original JP to look at people won't get too lost on the context.

The_Lemmings

Jul 17, 2019
Can anyone help with the secret code? I've tried a bunch of game references but I'm stumped as to what to write or where to write it!

Kkew

Jul 8, 2020
This mod lags the fuck out of WINLATOR... It can't handle text files for some reason. Base game plays with no issues.

BlueFireNick

Apr 14, 2019
This mod lags the fuck out of WINLATOR... It can't handle text files for some reason. Base game plays with no issues.
Most likely a loading issue from the newer system of loading text files to add multi-lingual support. If the lag is too much, I recommend ver 1.5.0, which is the most updated version before I started the multi-lingual support and should run as smoothly as the base game.

Red Guy

Jun 25, 2020
1713066988299.png 1713067006601.png

Okay newbie here. I tried copying the Ffox data into the game folder, but i cant find any difference beside the title screen only.
Did i do something wrong with this?
(I know the tutorial said something about .wolf file but i cant see any of those) 1713067118896.png 1713067132389.png

panladi

Apr 6, 2024
to BlueFireNick

In the 247 Communication project, the message on line 1028 in the Japanese version should be "What is this?" instead of "Thanks, Onii-chan." Can you fix it?

weggsg

Mar 28, 2024
Hi, I tried to translate it into Chinese, but I found that some of the options and dialogues don't have txt file counterparts, so there's no way for me to translate that part of the dialogues and options by modifying the text content in the txt file.
Here are some examples.
Dialogues that can find the corresponding txt file:
屏幕截图 2024-04-14 140154.png
Dialogues that can't find the corresponding txt file:
屏幕截图 2024-04-14 140904.png
So I can't translate dialogues that don't have txt files.

So I'm asking if this part is still incomplete? And look forward to subsequent updates

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes