Baal7734

Game Developer
Sep 21, 2016
I wrote this timeline with each update representing a little over a month. I was also more conservative with this timeframe, because I expect some stuff to get bundled earlier than the timeframe, but I don't know exactly how early. Measuring work in weeks can be tricky when it comes to rendering since some render locations are very quick renders(5 minutes) and some are lengthy (30-45 mins) and doing a single scene that takes place in a 5 minute render location may take a day, while doing a scene in a 30-45 minute location may take a week.

Reactions: T.Geiger

Jed

Feb 28, 2017
That schedule was intended to be for the rest of 2019, as I understand it. Going by the 'one month per update' and including the fact he's intending to work on his new game at the given times, 0.39.00 is scheduled to come out in December.

EDIT: I will say that I am really looking forward to the end of the whole School thing and the fleshing out of non-School locations. I think the game will *really* start getting interesting once those things come together, but that's more than a year in the future.

I do hope Baal is able to find some way to stay sane; the churn of schoolgirl after schoolgirl after schoolgirl seems like it'd be right awful after a while.

Reactions: Rakja

Baal7734

Game Developer
Sep 21, 2016
I should also add, that my time on the new game will be limited to no more than 4 weeks during those months that I'm working on it. That's specifically because I'm also working on it intermittenly in my spare time. Hell, even right now, I'm programming a new button behavior on the new project after spending most of the day writing for SP.

Tehemai

Oct 9, 2017
Imo it really doesn't seem wise to work on another game when even NPCs you meet in the opening scenes do not even have barebone implementation. The scope of a project like SP is almost unfeasibly huge enough as it is without dividing time to another game, which will also be barebones for years at this rate of progression.

Baal7734

Game Developer
Sep 21, 2016
Imo it really doesn't seem wise to work on another game when even NPCs you meet in the opening scenes do not even have barebone implementation. The scope of a project like SP is almost unfeasibly huge enough as it is without dividing time to another game, which will also be barebones for years at this rate of progression.
Sooo...it's wiser for me to burnout and possibly not finish the project at all....I get the feeling you didn't read the roadmap, but somehow have an opinion on it.

Notretsam

Game Developer
Nov 1, 2017
Sooo...it's wiser for me to burnout and possibly not finish the project at all....I get the feeling you didn't read the roadmap, but somehow have an opinion on it.
at the risk of interfering when it nothing to do with me really, but I don't think its a case of Tehemai didn't read roadmap, I think he did read roadmap and like myself and probably others, we are disappointed to see how long it take for the school side to be done.

If you think about it Baal, even in the roadmap you mention doing a happy dance that the school update is finished, we all want to see that done and do a happy dance as well. So Tehemai post is fair, as a second game will slow down releases of SP.

However as a programmer myself, I get what you mean by burnout, I hate working on same project over and over again, I need variety in projects am working on, or I end up burned out and hating what am working on. So I get that but others may not understand that, therefore they just see SP being slowed down due to another game being started and be disappointed about that.

Anyway, nothing to do with me but just offering a 3rd party view.

Reactions: Levant and Tehemai

Regardie

Jul 27, 2017
So instead of working on a second game, maybe @Baal7734 should spend time working on parts of this game that are outside of school in those take a break periods because I'm sure he has lots of ideas for the town and the lab and the other superheroes. It doesn't even need to be released in that break time, but it would make rolling out expansions easier later.

Reactions: Tehemai

Notretsam

Game Developer
Nov 1, 2017
it doesn't matter if he works on a different part of game, it still the same game, same thought process , same structure, same story, same characters, same everything. otherwise, working on different area does nothing, know this from experience as pretty much all areas of a game are linked together, so you can't do one area without thinking of another area.

end of day, its up to Baal what he does, in my last post, I was just offering a different view point on each of the posts I quoted.

Baal7734

Game Developer
Sep 21, 2016
^ There's a reason why my second project is being developed in unity, rather than Ren'py/python. Same reason why I'm rendering the new project in 16:9 rather than 4:3. Nothing about my new project reminds me of SP, which means I get to stretch my creative legs a bit. Besides, I didn't just make this decision at the drop of a hat. I put it up to vote to the people that pay me. One of those options was to keep all of my time foocused on SP. The "Primary focus on SP" option won the vote by a significant amount.

dragoon93041

Jul 22, 2017
I'm fine with whatever Baal wants to do. I just want the game to be finished and I'll have to have patience. It's just like watching all the other games I'm waiting for release.

gestved

Engaged Member
Aug 18, 2017
I don't mind at all a new game, the school part is finally almost done (which for me was always the most important), and I can imagine how tiring it must be to work in a project for more than two years without stop, superpowered is a very ambitious project and it take a lot of time to fully realize it alone, it's a slow process

Tehemai

Oct 9, 2017
I did read it, my opinion was based specifically on that roadmap. But I see that you are resolved and are not in the mindset to entertain any opposing opinions, so I will hold my tongue on elaborating as to prevent any further hostility. Good luck with your projects!

Jul 30, 2018
I did read it, my opinion was based specifically on that roadmap. But I see that you are resolved and are not in the mindset to entertain any opposing opinions, so I will hold my tongue on elaborating as to prevent any further hostility. Good luck with your projects!
if you want to complain about how the dev of this game deals with his programming of the game then GO MAKE YOUR OWN GAME. This game is awesome and if the dev wishes to work on another game then so be it

Baal7734

Game Developer
Sep 21, 2016
Well, I just assumed they didn't read the roadmap, because thier arguement didn't address the reasons why I decided to work on another game intermittenly. For example:
ME "Sorry boss, I can't work today I'm sick."
BOSS "Yeah, that's not gonna work for us. We're gonna need you to stop being sick and come in anyway."

Tehemai

Oct 9, 2017
Well, I just assumed they didn't read the roadmap, because thier arguement didn't address the reasons why I decided to work on another game intermittenly. For example:
ME "Sorry boss, I can't work today I'm sick."
BOSS "Yeah, that's not gonna work for us. We're gonna need you to stop being sick and come in anyway."
At the risk of interjecting again to speak in my defense, it's because I was addressing the roadmap itself. I mistakenly thought that alternative solutions to the cause were simply common knowledge. Burnout is a well known phenomenon which the typical solutions are usually just taking a break/vacation. Not really committing a third of foreseeable development time to something else entirely.

That said, it may be just me but personally committing a third of my time to a fresh new project would only just aggravate the situation. I would keep having to return from the fresh new project to the old project I'm already burnt out on. That would only slowly breed resentment given that I've already given myself a fresh new alternative. Kinda like starting a hype new rpg in the middle of an old rpg which you're starting to lose interest in. Chances are it's not gonna help the situation.

if you want to complain about how the dev of this game deals with his programming of the game then GO MAKE YOUR OWN GAME. This game is awesome and if the dev wishes to work on another game then so be it
That "why don't you make it" argument is a common fallacious line of argumention. People can and do have valid opinions on all manner of things they don't make. You don't need to get agitated, I'm just giving polite feedback. And I definitely think he should in the end do whatever he thinks is best.

3.20 star(s) 139 Votes