moonanon

Aug 17, 2016
He posted a 0.8.3 update yesterday. What's included? I hope the girl he just finished rendering somehow made it into the game... though in reality I shouldn't expect such a fast implementation since he just did the new are a week or so ago. 7351373340415582743.png

Thatguy

I exist.
Uploader
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
it was released today and I am currently in the process of uploading it. Wasn't sure If I'd be able to do another month around the end of the month but earned a little bit more than I thought i would last week and extending the pledge another month.

moonanon

Aug 17, 2016
I thank you in advance. I actually live outside of my home country which makes using online payment anything kind of annoying.... In the future I hope to sort it out so I can be a more useful contributor instead of just requesting things from others.

Thatguy

I exist.
Uploader
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
Also that image is Denise, she isn't even planned to be trainable till about version 11 or 12

Thatguy

I exist.
Uploader
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
And there is a problem... he added a second layer of security for the game to be able to play it that changes daily so SLDR or anyone that knows how to remove this, much appreciated. Will be pm'ing SLDR about removing it with a link. Yes I can give you the daily password but it only works for 3 days (unsure of how he did this)

moonanon

Aug 17, 2016
I found a post about that after uploading the picture.. He redone art is really nice in my opinion.... she maybe one of my favorites already.

By the way could you post the change log for 8.3? What got fixed or added?

Thatguy

I exist.
Uploader
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
New security Measure cause of people like myself who are sharing his content, New character intro scene, a tutorial and a skip into option.

moonanon

Aug 17, 2016
And there is a problem... he added a second layer of security for the game to be able to play it that changes daily so SLDR or anyone that knows how to remove this, much appreciated. Will be pm'ing SLDR about removing it with a link. Yes I can give you the daily password but it only works for 3 days (unsure of how he did this)
That is horrible. I wonder if it can be uncompiled and recompiled without the password requirements.

Thatguy

I exist.
Uploader
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
I posted the passwords for today and tomorrow, will try to get Saturday's asap but I have work Saturdays (till around midnight starting around 9-11am) usually and Sunday is last day of the year our family goes swimming at the lake and Monday is Memorial Day.

Tarasia

Satan's soul
Donor
Aug 11, 2016
quite happy everyone gets the same pass right? Imagine if every patron got his own

SLDR

Uploader
Modder
Aug 5, 2016
Took about thirty seconds to disable the password system

I get what they were going for, but there isn't much they can do - Renpy is trivially easy to break into. As far as I'm aware, if you employ any actual encryption methods, Renpy can't read the files any more and the game won't run. The best you can do in Renpy is to delete the .rpy files and leave only .rpyc files (which are encrypted; ) and then pack them into .rpa files ( ).

It sucks and I sympathize, but you really can't stop piracy from happening. We'll see what Night City decides to do next. Hopefully they'll ease up on these protection measures, but who knows?

And here's a fun fact: The way they implemented their date check to make sure the passwords weren't expired meant that the game had online DRM, which is just silly.

I'm working on the cheat and password-less build now, it'll be up in an hour or so.

EDIT: Did I say an hour? I guess I meant twenty minutes. Mod is uploaded to Mega, check my signature for the link! (And if someone can put a link to my Mega folder in the OP, that'd be great!)

Last edited:

Nootky

Respected User
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016
Took about thirty seconds to disable the password system

I get what they were going for, but there isn't much they can do - Renpy is trivially easy to break into. As far as I'm aware, if you employ any actual encryption methods, Renpy can't read the files any more and the game won't run. The best you can do in Renpy is to delete the .rpy files and leave only .rpyc files (which are encrypted; ) and then pack them into .rpa files ( ). This is what SadCrab did with Innocent Witches and Witch Trainer Russian Mod. It sucks and I sympathize, but you really can't stop piracy from happening.

And also, they implemented a time and date check to make sure the passwords hadn't expired, which means that the game technically had online DRM. :rolleyes:

I'm working on the cheat and password-less build now, it'll be up in an hour or so.
Renpy Devs themselves have stated that actual DRM is unsupported in almost any form. Even something has simple as Steam DRM would be far to much work, for little to no gain(specially since Steam DRM can be beaten easily). The time checks are decent start, but won't stop anyone for long. Probably should have gone with a different Engine if they wanted to protect the Patreon versions of the game for any amount of time.

For smaller Devs like this it's frustrating to have a game pirated from under your nose, but that's just how it works now. You make something that people want, they'll get it one way or another. Pirates may even eventually buy it if they like it, so it's not all bad. :p

SLDR

Uploader
Modder
Aug 5, 2016
I called it online DRM because if you're not online, then the game can't compare your system date with the date from and it'll return an error. So if you were a Patron and you downloaded the game, went offline, and tried to play it, it wouldn't let you.

By the way, I just found a comment at the bottom of the password script that says:

#TODO add call xword_verify at bottom of after_load
So they're planning on checking the password or date each time you load in the future. They haven't written the xword_verify function yet, so I don't know exactly what it'll be like but I imagine I can just comment out this stuff to break it.

Reactions: jackkane

Thatguy

I exist.
Uploader
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
I feel bad for the guy creating this. It's a great game and I was kinda iffy on even sharing the content as he's pretty straight forward and dedicated to getting stuff out. Oni on the other hand is 0 fucks given. Oni is creating the game as a side project to boost his cash flow while Night City is doing this as a job. Piracy will happen. Now I don't think we are the people that offend him the most as He specifically called the "shitty patrons that upload to sites like Uploaded to make money off his game" while no real mention of us who just throw it out for free. I do beleive in supporting him but I really like his stuff and I'm impatient. Besides, he's got $40-$60 (didn't pay attention if bank paid for July or not) out of me and the game isn't finished and that's more than most people sell games like this for.

Reactions: muttdoggy

Tarasia

Satan's soul
Donor
Aug 11, 2016
While i can agree with Night and others on vs piracy. I still am in opinion of the small knowledge of these games out there, piracy for smaller studios lead also to more players and potential supporters.

Reactions: The_Crop

SGrimmer

Aug 12, 2016
I gladly buy completed games but I just don't feel that guilty about pirating alphas and betas. Hypocritical sure but... eh.

Thatguy

I exist.
Uploader
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
I just noticed I had the wrong Link for SLDR on OP and updated to correct. It is just a link to his download folders. Thankfully I caught this and anyone who downloads it now will see the correct downloads.

Hyaenidaemax

Aug 12, 2016
Can we have sex with the protagonists' mom with her consent? I mean, without using powers.
If so, how?

3.20 star(s) 139 Votes