Man of the House Troubleshooting Help

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Bug - Game freezes.
Playing the latest test version testing the Veronica path from a new start. (have used cheats)
Veronica completed all three chores and I bought the maid outfit, about to enter her room as hinted to give her the outfit to see her checking herself out in the mirror. Get to the line (Damn, she is so hot!) and the game locks every time. Attached save.
This "bug" has been reported several times already, so nothing to worry about. Just wait for the next update or go back to v0.8.2 with the old UI and no "bug".

Reactions: flinger

chinaxx

May 13, 2018
i have a problem, i can't open the game it say's "couldn't switch to requested monitor resolution". and i can't update my drivers i already tried uninstall and reinstalling my drivers and also i can't update windows, if anyone can help me i'll be thankful.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
i have a problem, i can't open the game it say's "couldn't switch to requested monitor resolution". and i can't update my drivers i already tried uninstall and reinstalling my drivers and also i can't update windows, if anyone can help me i'll be thankful.
If you are on Win7, did you try this update? I can't remember, was that the fix for that problem?

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
That looks like a resolution issue. If you change your monitor's resolution to its highest setting, match that with the game's resolution size and that should, theoretically, fix the overlapping images issue.

Also, the game supports a ratio of 16:9. So that would need to be considered as well.

Gilbals

Jan 25, 2018
Having a small problem with the latest version. A few character interactions are just white screens, otherwise the game runs fine. I don't know if the zip was corrupted or what. Game runs perfect beyond just giving me a white scene for certain interactions. For example Saturday Breakfast: Veronica is a white screen. Debbie is a white screen when I go there, etc. etc.

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
Having a small problem with the latest version. A few character interactions are just white screens, otherwise the game runs fine. I don't know if the zip was corrupted or what. Game runs perfect beyond just giving me a white scene for certain interactions. For example Saturday Breakfast: Veronica is a white screen. Debbie is a white screen when I go there, etc. etc.
If you're playing version 0.8.3, that's to be expected as the other girls and shared events aren't working yet in this version. Right now, in 0.8.3, only content for Veronica is working (up to taking Veronica on a date). The other girls are being added and tested for problems as we speak. So expect a lot of bugs right now with the most recent version.

If this is your first time playing MotH, or haven't played it in a while, I would recommend playing 0.8.2 for now until the update is ready to go live which should be available by the 9th.. Barring any unforeseen circumstances.

Thermophob

Apr 10, 2018
Not working for me (tested with Ubuntu 16.04). @Thermophob does it work in Debian?
Ok, I think I found out what was problem here. You must turn off window decoration. Run winecfg gui with:
alt+f2 and then then type
Code:
winecfg-gui
Then under graphics comment out option: Allow theme to decorate windows...

Reactions: cold_arctus

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Ok, I think I found out what was problem here. You must turn off window decoration. Run winecfg gui with:
Code:
winecfg-gui
You, my friend, might have found the holy grail for all MotH players on Wine!

I did some tests wrth the latest version of wine-staging (3.19) and somehow made the animation work in fullscreen mode (animation were working, but couldn't do anything else)! I will try to replicate it in a fresh prefix and report back later.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Code:
winecfg-gui
As it looks like quartz and devenum are no longer necessary to install... Also as it seems does the latest version of K-Lite Codecs Pack 14.5.3 fix the animation playback. Fullscreen mode and K-lite Codecs (using Lan Decoder) are still not working, but I think this is a matter of configuration with Codec Tweak Tools.

At least deactivating window decoration (I also unmarked the option under window decoration) + windowed mode + klite codec are working great! Wine does not freeze anymore , when switch to your desktop and back!

Reactions: Thermophob

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
@Thermophob does MotH v.0.8.3 animation works for you with Windows 10 selected in wincfg? So far only Windows 7 works for me (Tested on wine-staging (3.19) 32bit and 64bit prefix).

@Sycho fyi:

For Wine-user on Linux or Mac:
Quartz is needed to be installed via Winetricks. Devenum has no fact neither for render nor for animations!

(Animations are working in window-mode only!)

You can chose between two options for animation playback:

Option 1: Install ffdshow via winetricks and deactivate winegstreamer in winecfg,
or
Option 2: Install K-Lite Codec (Mega Pack) and leave winegstreamer activated.

(for window-mode) window freeze stops after disabling window decoration in winecfg (wait for a few sec. and the game will continue).

Deactivating window-manager to control window (option under window decoration) will disable the skip function via ctrl and space. (not recommend!)

Enjoy the game!

Reactions: Sycho

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
@Sycho some updates for the install guide:

Animations work with Wine Staging 3.19. Get the Mac version here:

As @cold_arctus said, devenum is not needed, so the line that says "You need to install more things to get animations to run. sh winetricks devenum ffdshow quartz" can be changed to "You need to install more things to get animations to run. sh winetricks ffdshow quartz"

Disabling window decoration in winecfg did not stop the freezing. But you can un-freeze the window by grabbing the title bar and moving the window a little bit.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Disabling window decoration in winecfg did not stop the freezing. But you can un-freeze the window by grabbing the title bar and moving the window a little bit.
Strange! On Linux disabling window decoration works... Maybe it is a Mac specific problem. :hushedface:

olemumsen

Mar 1, 2018
I have some problems with the animations, and somewhat hoped they would be fixed with the new release, though with no luck.
The problem is that I get no animations, just a black screen, sometimes some arrows and the +/-. Tried the fixes (e.g. k-lite), but none have worked so far. Any help?
I'm on windows 10 btw

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
@cold_arctus @goobdoob Thank you guys for that info! I'll start making changes to the installation guide now to address this problem. I understand this change reflects on Mac or is there a change for installing in Wine in Linux as well?

Tagging @Faerin so he can see this as well. Looks like a revision is in order for the install guide, my friend. I'll get on it right away.

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
I have some problems with the animations, and somewhat hoped they would be fixed with the new release, though with no luck.
The problem is that I get no animations, just a black screen, sometimes some arrows and the +/-. Tried the fixes (e.g. k-lite), but none have worked so far. Any help?
I'm on windows 10 btw
The codec packs listed in the game thread's OP aren't necessary. Usually the black screen is a result of using a cheat mod, an outdated mapping file, older version of DirectX or outdated drivers for your video card. Sadly it's a process of elimination to determine which of the four is causing the problem.

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
@cold_arctus @goobdoob Thank you guys for that info! I'll start making changes to the installation guide now to address this problem. I understand this change reflects on Mac or is there a change for installing in Wine in Linux as well?

Tagging @Faerin so he can see this as well. Looks like a revision is in order for the install guide, my friend. I'll get on it right away.
@cold_arctus ran under Wine Staging 3.19 under Linux, which is what prompted me to check it out on the Mac. That part is the same for both. As is dropping devenum.

Where we differ is stopping a freeze if you're in windowed mode and switch to another window. His instructions:
(for window-mode) window freeze stops after disabling window decoration in winecfg (wait for a few sec. and the game will continue).
work on Linux, but not on MacOS. On the Mac moving the window fixes the freeze.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
I'm on windows 10 btw
The codec packs listed in the game thread's OP aren't necessary. Usually the black screen is a result of using a cheat mod, an outdated mapping file, older version of DirectX or outdated drivers for your video card. Sadly it's a process of elimination to determine which of the four is causing the problem.
Pls. check if you have Windows Media Feature Pack installed! For some reason Europeans and South-Koreans are using a Windows N (Europa) an KN (South-Korea) version. The Windows Media Pack is missing in this versions.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
@cold_arctus ran under Wine Staging 3.19 under Linux, which is what prompted me to check it out on the Mac. That part is the same for both. As is dropping devenum.

Where we differ is stopping a freeze if you're in windowed mode and switch to another window. His instructions:

Does the game crash on Mac, if you change the setting to Windows 10 in wincfg? Because it does for me.