Man of the House Troubleshooting Help

43pass

Nov 18, 2017
So I actually had an update, but it didn't change anything :( As for the codecs, I have already tried installing the K-lite one, found in the thread. My DirectX version is 12, but Idk if that can complicate anything.
Anyway, thank you for the help so far!
i am getting the same problem, i have my windows 10 up to date, my drivers, DirectX are all up to date and i evened moved the file location and still get the black screen

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
So I actually had an update, but it didn't change anything :( As for the codecs, I have already tried installing the K-lite one, found in the thread. My DirectX version is 12, but Idk if that can complicate anything.
Anyway, thank you for the help so far!
i am getting the same problem, i have my windows 10 up to date, my drivers, DirectX are all up to date and i evened moved the file location and still get the black screen
Did you guys checked, if your event viewer has some entry after the animation?

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
i got it to work i had to turn the graphic quality all the way to beautiful
Glad to hear this! Now I wonder why 'Fantastic' - setting dosen't work? Even on my low-end laptop (using Intel HD 4600) I can choose Fantastic (tested on a vm win 10 32 & 64 bit).

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Yeah, tried all the settings, but no luck
As it looks for now, you are the only one, where the animation problem persist. So, it is clearly a problem with your setting.

Try all of this including reinstalling Windows Media Feature Pack.

To eliminate - a possible - hardware failure, you would have to reinstall Windows 10 and try the game on a fresh/clean environment. (Sorry, Mate!)

Not to sure about your problem but have you tried

- Reloading the game.
-Changeing the graphics quality.
- Moveing the game to another location (preferably with write permission).
- Running as administrator (to force those permissions).
- Make sure your anti-virus software is not blocking it.
- Excluding the whole game folder and subfolders in your Antivirus
-Changing your monitor's resolution and the resolution in the drop down menu of the game to match.

Ex: If your monitor's resolution is 1920 x 1080, you should set the game's resolution to the same setting.
For everyone having the resolution error at startup, these steps might help:

1 Reinstalling your graphics drivers.
2 Disabling Full Screen Optimization:
2.1 Right click on Man of the house.exe and select properties.
2.2 Click on compatibility.
2.3 Disable fullscreen optimization.
2.4 Click apply and ok.

ananditha

May 17, 2018
maybe for users windows 10 ver 1809 like me, it can't be played because there none installer Windows Media Feature Pack, so i just give up for playing video in this game, even though it make me sad.
(sorry for my bad english)

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
maybe for users windows 10 ver 1809 like me, it can't be played because there none installer Windows Media Feature Pack, so i just give up for playing video in this game, even though it make me sad.
(sorry for my bad english)
Try to downgrade your Windows version to 1803 and try the game again.

JakoCABJ

Feb 23, 2018
hello, the game is good for me, the only thing that makes it difficult for me to play is that I have the screen stretched and there are options that I can not click on, the same when I open the phone. Does anyone know if it can be solved?
Thank you

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
when i try to run it it says

"could not execute
Main_seduction-0.15a-pc\Main_seduction-0.15a-pc\lib\windows-i686\Main_seduction.exe. Is it missing?"

pls help
First, I'd suggest posting in the Main/Mother Seduction thread! :)
Second, I'd check your antivirus. It may have quarantined the .exe.

Last edited:

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
@goobdoob @cold_arctus Would either of you mind looking over the revised version of the installation guide just to make sure I didn't leave anything out for Linux/Mac users, please?

Thanks, you guys!

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
@goobdoob @cold_arctus Would either of you mind looking over the revised version of the installation guide just to make sure I didn't leave anything out for Linux/Mac users, please?
Thanks, you guys!

I would recommend some minor changes:
Red text: Things you can delete.
Green text: Something "new" to add.
Notes: Are just some background information and not for the installation guide.

"Animations work with Wine Staging (only in windowed-mode!) 3.19." -> Note: Wine-Staging is a "bleeding edge" version, updated every two weeks.
"Get the latest Mac version here:
" switch link to:
[Add: "Get the latest Linux version and install instruction here: ]

"For Linux users:
If you need to check to see which architecture your version of Wine is, please visit this link
for assistance:
If videos don’t play on Linux, try disabling winegstreamer.dll in Wine:
1. Start winecfg.
2. Add from library tab the winegstreamer.dll.

3. Choose winegstreamer.dll again from list and click EDIT -> Set to deactivate
Note:
1. Wine installs 64bit versions by default (you need to activate the 32bit architecture for 32bit packages). Starting Wine for the first time will always create a 64bit prefix/bottle, if not explicit changed by you. However, Man of the House runs on both 32bit and 64bit prefix.
2. Videos not playing part is already mentioned under "Troubleshooting/FAQ"

For Mac users:
You can download this Mac command script to launch MotH under wine: .
You will need to edit it with the location of Wine Staging, or use Wine Staging 3.19 and put it in /Applications (the default installation location). To Use, unzip and drop it into the MotH folder. Double click to launch.

(FAQ part)
The videos don’t play on Linux
Try disabling winegstreamer.dll and set quartz as native in Wine:
1. Start winecfg.
3. Choose winegstreamer.dll again from list and click EDIT -> Set to deactivate.
4. Choose *quartz from list and click EDIT -> Set to native.
5. Start MotH in windowed-mode.

[Add: Wine window doesn't respond/freeze after switching to Desktop
Try unmark window-decoration in Wine:
1. Start winecfg.
2. Switch to tab "Graphics".
3. Unmark "allow window-decoration".
]

Last edited:

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018

"Animations work with Wine Staging (only in windowed-mode!) 3.19." -> Note: Wine-Staging is a "bleeding edge" version, updated every two weeks.
" switch link to:

"For Linux users:
If you need to check to see which architecture your version of Wine is, please visit this link
for assistance:
1. Start winecfg.

Note:
1. Wine installs 64bit versions by default (you need to activate the 32bit architecture for 32bit packages). Starting Wine for the first time will always create a 64bit prefix/bottle, if not explicit changed by you. However, Man of the House runs on both 32bit and 64bit prefix.

For Mac users:
You will need to edit it with the location of Wine Staging, or use Wine Staging 3.19 and put it in /Applications (the default installation location). To Use, unzip and drop it into the MotH folder. Double click to launch.

(FAQ part)
1. Start winecfg.
3. Choose winegstreamer.dll again from list and click EDIT -> Set to deactivate.

1. Start winecfg.
]
I've added that to the revised installation guide and it's been submitted to Faerin for inclusion in the next update. You guys have been a huge help. So much thanks to the both of you.

Reactions: cold_arctus

Thermophob

Apr 10, 2018

" switch link to:

"For Linux users:
for assistance:
1. Start winecfg.

Note:

For Mac users:

(FAQ part)
1. Start winecfg.

1. Start winecfg.
Well, just to avoid confusion, we might need to separate installation instructions for Linux and Mac. While, in essence, we speak about same things (installing of wine, cabextract and winetricks), there are some differences due to, well we speak about different Operating systems.
First, Linux users use bash as default shell, so sh before commands is obsolete. Also, homebrew is not needed in Linux (it's system of porting Linux tools at MacOS, those tools are already included in Linux repos.
It would go like this:
  1. Install wine, cabextract and winetricks. Type in terminal:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install wine cabextract winetricks
    Important note: this command is Debian based systems, if you use other distributions, use their package managers instead (packman for Arch, zipper for Suse, dnf for Fedora etc...). If you don't have sudo enabled, just use root terminal, and type commands without sudo prefix.
  2. Install ms fonts, ffdshow devenum and quartz with winetricks
    Code:
    winetricks corefonts devenum quartz ffdshow
Also, with part about disabling winegstreamer, window decoration etc... winecfg is command line interface application. In order to use gui you must start app with winecfg --gui. (Launch it with Alt+F2, or from terminal).

Last edited: