Man of the House Troubleshooting Help

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
Pls. check if you have Windows Media Feature Pack installed! For some reason Europeans and South-Koreans are using a Windows N (Europa) an KN (South-Korea) version. The Windows Media Pack is missing in this versions.
I'll dig up a link to that right now. Thanks for the find! Is this for a specific version of Windows (ie: Win7, 8.1, 10)? Or will this work in all versions?

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
Does the game crash on Mac, if you change the setting to Windows 10 in wincfg? Because it does for me.
Yes, when I try to look at a video:

Backtrace:
=>0 0x7b42c029 RaiseException+0x79() in kernel32 (0x0032ef6c)
1 0x07c6dc95 in avprovideo (+0x3dc94) (0x0032efc8)
2 0x07c6d733 in avprovideo (+0x3d732) (0x0032f028)

Specifically, Sophia and the MC in the Sauna.

It doesn't crash when I switch the setting back to Windows 7.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Yes, when I try to look at a video:

Backtrace:
=>0 0x7b42c029 RaiseException+0x79() in kernel32 (0x0032ef6c)
1 0x07c6dc95 in avprovideo (+0x3dc94) (0x0032efc8)
2 0x07c6d733 in avprovideo (+0x3d732) (0x0032f028)

Specifically, Sophia and the MC in the Sauna.

It doesn't crash when I switch the setting back to Windows 7.
The same for me! @Sycho: all wine-user need to swtich their wincfg setting to Windows 7! Otherwise the game will crash during the animation!

I'll dig up a link to that right now. Thanks for the find! Is this for a specific version of Windows (ie: Win7, 8.1, 10)? Or will this work in all versions?
Let all user re-install the Media Pack (it also called Microsoft Foundation or similar - it is linked to the mfplat.dll error)

Edit: Yeah, it is the same for all Windows Distros (7, 8, 10)

Reactions: Sycho

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
The same for me! @Sycho: all wine-user need to swtich their wincfg setting to Windows 7! Otherwise the game will crash during the animation!

Let all user re-install the Media Pack (it also called Microsoft Foundation or similar - it is linked to the mfplat.dll error)
Ok, thanks! You would think Micro$oft would make things so much easier, but *sigh* this is Micro$oft we're talking about. Like they're going to make anything easy. lol

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Ok, thanks! You would think Micro$oft would make things so much easier, but *sigh* this is Micro$oft we're talking about. Like they're going to make anything easy. lol
I would never knew about Windows N and KN, if not for Unity and their stupid build-in VideoPlayer. For each native port they use different transcoding library. The native windows version use Microsoft Foundation, on MacOS they use AVPro and on Linux something different. The biggest problem for wine-user is, that Microsoft Foundation is not support on wine (yet - they are working on it! Stupid .msu format!:mad:)

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
I would never knew about Windows N and KN, if not for Unity and their stupid build-in VideoPlayer. For each native port they use different transcoding library. The native windows version use Microsoft Foundation, on MacOS they use AVPro and on Linux something different. The biggest problem for wine-user is, that Microsoft Foundation is not support on wine (yet - they are working on it! Stupid .msu format!:mad:)
This is precisely why I want to eventually migrate to Linux after 2020 when Win7 will not longer receive updates to the OS. Everything Microsoft touches turns to crap.

Reactions: Thermophob

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
This is precisely why I want to eventually migrate to Linux after 2020 when Win7 will not longer receive updates to the OS. Everything Microsoft touches turns to crap.
You will be surprised, but Windows will become the biggest Linux Distro in the future! Redmond already works on a plan to integrate Linux into Windows. This is one of the reasons, why they become Premium Partner of Linux Foundation.

Reactions: Sycho

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
You will be surprised, but Windows will become the biggest Linux Distro in the future! Redmond already works on a plan to integrate Linux into Windows. This is one of the reasons, why they become Premium Partner of Linux Foundation.
Oh wonderful! So now they're going to screw up Linux. I think I'll do email the old fashioned way.. by carrier pigeon. x'D

Thermophob

Apr 10, 2018
Emh, actually, they donated few thousands of lines of code to kernel. Oh, surprise, that was about connecting Linux and Windows machines...
Either way, not really large stuff. Most of server stations are on Linux... so this was necessity.
By the way, of course that switching window decoration won't work on Mac. It's workaround for window managers like compiz, kwin, openbox etc... they can be run on Mac, that's true... :D But they can't be run alongside Cocoa and default MAC gui...

Reactions: cold_arctus

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Emh, actually, they donated few thousands of lines of code to kernel. Oh, surprise, that was about connecting Linux and Windows machines...
Either way, not really large stuff. Most of server stations are on Linux... so this was necessity.
By the way, of course that switching window decoration won't work on Mac. It's workaround for window managers like compiz, kwin, openbox etc... they can be run on Mac, that's true... :D But they can't be run alongside Cocoa...
Well, I should have state my post as (my personal) speculation...sorry! :oops: *duck and run*:ForeverAlone:

olemumsen

Mar 1, 2018
The codec packs listed in the game thread's OP aren't necessary. Usually the black screen is a result of using a cheat mod, an outdated mapping file, older version of DirectX or outdated drivers for your video card. Sadly it's a process of elimination to determine which of the four is causing the problem.
I might have used the cheat mod way back (v. 0.5), but that shouldn't be the problem? Got the mapping file from lewdpatcher, and DirectX is v. 12. As for video card, it should be updated. I tried the game on a different pc (and old laptop) that aren't up to date for all drivers and it worked, so I'm kind of confused tbh.

Pls. check if you have Windows Media Feature Pack installed! For some reason Europeans and South-Koreans are using a Windows N (Europa) an KN (South-Korea) version. The Windows Media Pack is missing in this versions.
I checked, and I should have it installed already.

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
I might have used the cheat mod way back (v. 0.5), but that shouldn't be the problem? Got the mapping file from lewdpatcher, and DirectX is v. 12. As for video card, it should be updated. I tried the game on a different pc (and old laptop) that aren't up to date for all drivers and it worked, so I'm kind of confused tbh.

I checked, and I should have it installed already.
The cheats mod would definitely break the game if you are using it in the latest version.

Reactions: Thermophob

olemumsen

Mar 1, 2018
Old save files in hidden folders and changed registerkeys??!!!
Edit: It was mentioned once in the main thread. But I'm not sure.
There were a folder in locallow, but removing it did nothing, sadly. As for registry keys, I have no idea what to look for. Couldn't find it in the main thread, but I might not have searched correctly.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
There were a folder in locallow, but removing it did nothing, sadly. As for registry keys, I have no idea what to look for. Couldn't find it in the main thread, but I might not have searched correctly.
Does the game crash during animation or do you only get a black screen, and the game continue?
Did you try the animation in compatibility mode (set to Windows 7)?

olemumsen

Mar 1, 2018
Does the game crash during animation or do you only get a black screen, and the game continue?
Did you try the animation in compatibility mode (set to Windows 7)?
It doesn't crash, I can exit the black screen, and press the arrows and +/- (nothing happens, but still). Tried to run it in compatibility mode and deactivated the full-screen optimization, but it's still just a black screen.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
It doesn't crash, I can exit the black screen, and press the arrows and +/- (nothing happens, but still). Tried to run it in compatibility mode and deactivated the full-screen optimization, but it's still just a black screen.
By using wine you get a similar problem. The solution there was to install DirectX and Codecs (ffdshow or K-Lite). Normally a windows update, driver update or codec update fixed most of all problems posted here.

olemumsen

Mar 1, 2018
By using wine you get a similar problem. The solution there was to install DirectX and Codecs (ffdshow or K-Lite). Normally a windows update, driver update or codec update fixed most of all problems posted here.
So I actually had an update, but it didn't change anything :( As for the codecs, I have already tried installing the K-lite one, found in the thread. My DirectX version is 12, but Idk if that can complicate anything.
Anyway, thank you for the help so far!