Man of the House Troubleshooting Help

kevinlecker

Apr 10, 2018
Guys, I need your help!!
Why did the game always shut down immediately everytime there's an option to zoom in/out (scene Ashley's reward for making homework and also on the beach when ashley sucks the dick) ??

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
Guys, I need your help!!
Why did the game always shut down immediately everytime there's an option to zoom in/out (scene Ashley's reward for making homework and also on the beach when ashley sucks the dick) ??
The only things I can think of that may be causing that problem are missing files during the extraction process. Or there's a file/folder with non-standard ASCII characters.

Scottx40

Sep 21, 2018
I am having trouble getting past the intro day (select yes or no) selection screen. Nothing happens after i select yes or no.

Windows 7 (x64), v8.2 with patch, played other titles with out any issues.

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
I am having trouble getting past the intro day (select yes or no) selection screen. Nothing happens after i select yes or no.

Windows 7 (x64), v8.2 with patch, played other titles with out any issues.
Check your PM, please..

kevinlecker

Apr 10, 2018
The only things I can think of that may be causing that problem are missing files during the extraction process. Or there's a file/folder with non-standard ASCII characters.
How could I fix that?

I'm using newest patch but to make sure i downloaded it once again from your link. Still getting crashes at same point.

Windows 10.

Its when those + / - are popping up (probably to zoom? dunno) on right side of screen when sex scene is ongoing.

@@@EDIT!

So I'v just found a reason for this... Its because of my native language (polish). When i changed game to english it worked just fine so...
I think, that I have the same problem like him...but the language is not the problem.. everytime those +/- popping out in every scene
Windows 10

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
How could I fix that?

I think, that I have the same problem like him...but the language is not the problem.. everytime those +/- popping out in every scene
Windows 10
1.) If you saw any errors during the extraction process, you could be missing some files. Instead of using WinRAR or WinZip to extract the game, use instead. Read post if you've never used 7-Zip before; it's a bit different than using the other two archivers.

2.) Look at the files and folders in Man of the House. Check to make sure none of the file names have unusual looking characters in the file/folder names and if so, rename them.

3.) One other possibility is the directory or disk drive drive the game is in. If it's on another disk drive other than C: you'll run into problems with the animation.. I ran into this same problem with another user on Discord. After he moved the files to his C drive everything worked perfectly.

kevinlecker

Apr 10, 2018
1.) If you saw any errors during the extraction process, you could be missing some files. Instead of using WinRAR or WinZip to extract the game, use instead. Read post if you've never used 7-Zip before; it's a bit different than using the other two archivers.

2.) Look at the files and folders in Man of the House. Check to make sure none of the file names have unusual looking characters in the file/folder names and if so, rename them.

3.) One other possibility is the directory or disk drive drive the game is in. If it's on another disk drive other than C: you'll run into problems with the animation.. I ran into this same problem with another user on Discord. After he moved the files to his C drive everything worked perfectly.
Finally it works!! I have updated the graphic card and then installed it again and it works! Thank you very much! :D

Reactions: Sycho

Thermophob

Apr 10, 2018
These instructions are for installing and running MotH on on Linux with Wine. Tested on Debian 9.5.

Any version of Wine should work.

From my experience and experience of others, WINEPREFIX doesn't matter.

• Install Wine.
• Install winetricks. Your Distro repository should have it.
• Install cabextract. For Debian and derived systems (Ubuntu, Mint etc): sudo apt-get isntall cabextract.
• Open console and type winetricks corefonts
• After that's finished winetricks devenum ffdshow quartz
• Select defaults for the install
• When you get "Completing the ffdshow Setup Wizard", select "Run video decoder
configuration" and "Finish" (I am not acctually sure if ffdshow means anything, but I left it. This was adapted from manual fro running of game under MacOSX, and ffdshow was there. So just in case).
• Click "Tray, dialog & paths", then "Tray icons:" "None", "OK"
• Run winecfg from console. Under tab Librraries make sure to have devenum and quartz as native (use edit option in menu). Also, disable winegstreamer, if it doesn't show up, add it and disable from edit option).

Beware for windowed-mode: As soon as you move your mouse between your desktop and the game, the game will freeze!
Big thanks @

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
These instructions are for installing and running MotH on on Linux with Wine. Tested on Debian 9.5.

• Install Wine.
• Install cabextract. For Debian and derived systems (Ubuntu, Mint etc): sudo apt-get isntall cabextract.
configuration" and "Finish" (I am not acctually sure if ffdshow means anything, but I left it. This was adapted from manual fro running of game under MacOSX, and ffdshow was there. So just in case).
• Run winecfg from console. Under tab Librraries make sure to have devenum and quartz as native (use edit option in menu). Also, disable winegstreamer, if it doesn't show up, add it and disable from edit option).

Beware for windowed-mode: As soon as you move your mouse between your desktop and the game, the game will freeze!
Big thanks @
Awesome discovery! Thank you. I've seen a few Mac users get pissy about not being able to natively run MotH on Mac. So this, along with the included installation guide should be a huge help.

Thermophob

Apr 10, 2018
Awesome discovery! Thank you. I've seen a few Mac users get pissy about not being able to natively run MotH on Mac. So this, along with the included installation guide should be a huge help.
It wasn't mine. All glories should go @cold_arctus who mentioned disabling winegstreamer on main thread. :)

Reactions: Sycho

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018

• Install Wine.

Big thanks @
Glad I was of help! But I have to ask, why do you need cabextract? I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 here and didn't install it.

And to at an other thing: Using wine and high resolution (+ fullscreen mode) may cause high CPU temperature (depends on your hardware; and could be a problem for some Ultrabooks/MacBooks).

Fyi: There is a thread for Linux-Users now!

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
When animations play, a small window will pop up unless you do the ffdshow steps. The small window is the windows system tray icon popping to the forefront.

Big thanks @
Move the window and it will un-freeze. It's not really frozen; it stops updating the image until you move the window. Some odd interaction between the new unity and wine.

Not sure how this will help pissy Mac users, when you already posted my Mac run steps .

Reactions: Thermophob

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
When animations play, a small window will pop up unless you do the ffdshow steps. The small window is the windows system tray icon popping to the forefront.

Move the window and it will un-freeze. It's not really frozen; it stops updating the image until you move the window. Some odd interaction between the new unity and wine.

Not sure how this will help pissy Mac users, when you already posted my Mac run steps .
I've noticed that most don't bother reading the guide and still get snarky when they can't play it. I've also had a couple ask for a video guide on the installation process on Mac. It really can't be that hard, can it? Can it?? lol

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
I've noticed that most don't bother reading the guide and still get snarky when they can't play it. I've also had a couple ask for a video guide on the installation process on Mac. It really can't be that hard, can it? Can it?? lol
No, it's not that hard, but following a step-by-step guide can be hard, I've found. Because it's not like I actually did what I was writing while I was writing it, to make sure I captured everything and it actually worked... :p

flinger

May 3, 2017
Bug - Game freezes.
Playing the latest test version testing the Veronica path from a new start. (have used cheats)
Veronica completed all three chores and I bought the maid outfit, about to enter her room as hinted to give her the outfit to see her checking herself out in the mirror. Get to the line (Damn, she is so hot!) and the game locks every time. Attached save.