Man of the House Troubleshooting Help

mr2748

Sep 3, 2018
I know this might have already been answered but i could not find it anywhere. I am having trouble seeing the animation. All i see is a black screen with zoom in - zoom out buttons. I have windows 10, drivers are up to date and i have recently downloaded all available updates as well as re booting my pc. Still no luck, is there a patch or something else i am missing?

64bit OS
Windows 10
Updated drivers and pc + reboot

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
I know this might have already been answered but i could not find it anywhere. I am having trouble seeing the animation. All i see is a black screen with zoom in - zoom out buttons. I have windows 10, drivers are up to date and i have recently downloaded all available updates as well as re booting my pc. Still no luck, is there a patch or something else i am missing?

64bit OS
Windows 10
Updated drivers and pc + reboot
Are you using the cheat mod from the game thread? If so, you'll need to backup your saves and mapping file, delete the game folder, re-extract the game and restore your saves and mapping file. If you're using an older mapping file, use this one instead.

Additionally, go here: and download the DirectX 12 offline installer.

See if these suggestions help resolve your video issue.

mr2748

Sep 3, 2018
Are you using the cheat mod from the game thread? If so, you'll need to backup your saves and mapping file, delete the game folder, re-extract the game and restore your saves and mapping file. If you're using an older mapping file, use this one instead.

Additionally, go here: and download the DirectX 12 offline installer.

See if these suggestions help resolve your video issue.
Im currently using Man of the House v0.8.2 (extra) from the thread. Mega link but didnt download the Mod version. Just the version where cheats are allowed thru phone. (Max Stats/max character hearts)

I downloaded Direct X12 and Mapping (size 4KB) and would still not play the animation. I was getting an error while installing. S1013 so i had to uninstall Microsoft visual C+ 2010 so i can install Direct X12

Still no animation and i reinstalled 2010 visual and still the same. I tried looking for the K lite pack and webm codes but the mega link had no files to download.

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
Im currently using Man of the House v0.8.2 (extra) from the thread. Mega link but didnt download the Mod version. Just the version where cheats are allowed thru phone. (Max Stats/max character hearts)

I downloaded Direct X12 and Mapping (size 4KB) and would still not play the animation. I was getting an error while installing. S1013 so i had to uninstall Microsoft visual C+ 2010 so i can install Direct X12

Still no animation and i reinstalled 2010 visual and still the same. I tried looking for the K lite pack and webm codes but the mega link had no files to download.
K-Lite codec pack can be downloaded here:
Webm codecs can be downloaded here:

I don't think they will help, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

mr2748

Sep 3, 2018
K-Lite codec pack can be downloaded here:
Webm codecs can be downloaded here:

I don't think they will help, but it wouldn't hurt to try.
Nope it made no difference but i appreciate you trying.

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
Nope it made no difference but i appreciate you trying.
I didn't think it would. When I extracted MotH on a Windows 10 VM in VMware, the only thing I installed was the necessary updates (including the “updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows”) for the OS. Once that was done, the game ran perfectly (though slow in a VM).

Here's another suggestion that you might want to try. Disable Full Screen Optimization:
  1. Right click on Man of the house.exe and select properties.
  2. Click on compatibility.
  3. Disable full screen optimization.
  4. Click apply and ok.
One last option would be to click the gear icon in the phone (from in the game) and put a check in the box marked "Limit frame rate (30fps)".

mr2748

Sep 3, 2018
I didn't think it would. When I extracted MotH on a Windows 10 VM in VMware, the only thing I installed was the necessary updates (including the “updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows”) for the OS. Once that was done, the game ran perfectly (though slow in a VM).

Here's another suggestion that you might want to try. Disable Full Screen Optimization:
  1. Right click on Man of the house.exe and select properties.
  2. Click on compatibility.
  3. Disable full screen optimization.
  4. Click apply and ok.
One last option would be to click the gear icon in the phone (from in the game) and put a check in the box marked "Limit frame rate (30fps)".
I had tried 30fps before with no luck and even with FSO disabled it the same.

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
I had tried 30fps before with no luck and even with FSO disabled it the same.
Aside from the OS itself, I'm completely out of ideas and suggestions. Did you run into these problems with any of the earlier versions?

mr2748

Sep 3, 2018
Aside from the OS itself, I'm completely out of ideas and suggestions. Did you run into these problems with any of the earlier versions?
This is my 1st time playing so i never tried any other versions. Everything else in the game runs perfectly just the animation shows nothing. Once i skip it the story continues.

Simon Jester

Aug 14, 2018
Ok, so in the previous version I couldn't give the milk to mom. So I decided to wait for a new version. So Now I have the new version and I still can't give milk to the mom (on the intro level). So I go to the kitchen with the milk in the bag. I click on the bag, I see the milk. The mom and the rest of the kitchen goes dark. The milk is bright in the bag. I click on the milk. Nothing happens. I try to click on the mom and nothing happens. I'm running win 7 and the latest directx. Any clues or help? This is the only game from the popular games that I can't get to work. All the Ren'py games I try have worked flawlessly. I'm beginning to think that for whatever reason UNITY games just don't work (although this is the only UNITY game I've tried).

I post the above in the faq and questions thread and it was recommended to upgrade win 7 with the optional upgrades, upgrade 7zip, and upgrade the driver for graphics. I did steps 1 and 2, and 3 had no driver updates.

ꜱᴛᴀɢᴡᴏᴏᴅ

Bush Rustler
Donor
Aug 23, 2018
I've fixed my problem with the game locking up when a video was supposed to load.
I've learned to never trust automatic updates. How did I figure this out? Well, I haven't opened Photoshop for a while and when I did tonight it informed me of some strange stuff going on with my graphics drivers.
I think automatic updates got a bit confused. My system was running the old AMD suite (Catalyst) but apparently the auto updates was trying to use the newer suite's drivers (Crimson). So I manually installed the Crimson suite and problem solved!
I'd recommend anyone having trouble with the game just freezing up without displaying the animations when the speed controls appear at the side to check the version of their graphics suite if they're running AMD graphics.

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
Ok, so in the previous version I couldn't give the milk to mom. So I decided to wait for a new version. So Now I have the new version and I still can't give milk to the mom (on the intro level). So I go to the kitchen with the milk in the bag. I click on the bag, I see the milk. The mom and the rest of the kitchen goes dark. The milk is bright in the bag. I click on the milk. Nothing happens. I try to click on the mom and nothing happens. I'm running win 7 and the latest directx. Any clues or help? This is the only game from the popular games that I can't get to work. All the Ren'py games I try have worked flawlessly. I'm beginning to think that for whatever reason UNITY games just don't work (although this is the only UNITY game I've tried).

I post the above in the faq and questions thread and it was recommended to upgrade win 7 with the optional upgrades, upgrade 7zip, and upgrade the driver for graphics. I did steps 1 and 2, and 3 had no driver updates.
If you're able to get the game to play, then you've installed DirectX (and the platform update for Windows 7).. which is good because that's required to play the game. What I'm trying to determine is why the screen goes dark when you click on the inventory. The only things I can think of that would be causing this is either one or both of the following:
  1. Using the cheat mod from the OP's first page of the game thread.
  2. Using an outdated incest patch (mapping.xml).
For that scene to progress further, you'd need to click on the backpack, click on the milk carton and then click on mom to give her the carton of milk. Then join them for dinner at the table.

ꜱᴛᴀɢᴡᴏᴏᴅ

Bush Rustler
Donor
Aug 23, 2018
If you're able to get the game to play, then you've installed DirectX (and the platform update for Windows 7).. which is good because that's required to play the game. What I'm trying to determine is why the screen goes dark when you click on the inventory. The only things I can think of that would be causing this is either one or both of the following:
For that scene to progress further, you'd need to click on the backpack, click on the milk carton and then click on mom to give her the carton of milk. Then join them for dinner at the table.
I'd just like to add that if you cannot click on the milk at all that you check your resolution settings. I noticed that clickable areas didn't always line up correctly to the object they were supposed to be assigned to if I had my resolution set to one of the higher options. I had to click an area below the milk carton for it to actually select it before I realised it was the resolution causing the issue.
I'm not sure if any of this applies to the rest of the screen going dark though.

Reactions: Sycho

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
I've fixed my problem with the game locking up when a video was supposed to load.
I've learned to never trust automatic updates. How did I figure this out? Well, I haven't opened Photoshop for a while and when I did tonight it informed me of some strange stuff going on with my graphics drivers.
I think automatic updates got a bit confused. My system was running the old AMD suite (Catalyst) but apparently the auto updates was trying to use the newer suite's drivers (Crimson). So I manually installed the Crimson suite and problem solved!
I'd recommend anyone having trouble with the game just freezing up without displaying the animations when the speed controls appear at the side to check the version of their graphics suite if they're running AMD graphics.
I've ran into some crazy issues with the Catalyst suite in the past myself. For instance, my display going black at random intervals. I found a workaround for that, but after a while, the problem got progressively worse to where I had to uninstall the driver and download the Crimson suite.. like you, that too solved my problem (and that was well before I even started playing MotH). So it's great to hear that installing a different AMD suite solved your dilemma. I've read nothing but bad things about Catalyst and I'm curious to know why it's still available for download.

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
I'd just like to add that if you cannot click on the milk at all that you check your resolution settings. I noticed that clickable areas didn't always line up correctly to the object they were supposed to be assigned to if I had my resolution set to one of the higher options. I had to click an area below the milk carton for it to actually select it before I realised it was the resolution causing the issue.
I'm not sure if any of this applies to the rest of the screen going dark though.
Yep, same for me when I first began playing MotH months ago. I typically use 1024 x 768 for day-to-day activities, but when I play MotH, I change my res to 1920 x 1080 and that solved the orientation issue.

Simon Jester

Aug 14, 2018

Well it doesn't go completely black, it just goes dark. I can still see the kitchen and the mom character. I just can't click on her. Not running either of those. I redownloaded the 8.2 release and just unpacked it from the rar. Now I have previously installed both of the mods to see if that would fix it.

Simon Jester

Aug 14, 2018
You should update your windows go to settings check for update or update your graphic card driver.
or try extracting it with 7z latest version
If didn't work go here
OK my system is set to 1920x1200. Which is the only option on the startup screen (MOTH configuration). When I click on the screen resolution drop down box all I get is 1920x1200. The windowed check is unchecked. If I check it then MOTH comes up in a window frame. But it will not resize. So how do I change the resolution it comes up in?

===================== Edit =========================

I just reread what people said. Are you guys saying I need to change my system resolution? I usually play the f95zone games in a windowed window so I can have the walkthrough up to reference if I see a question I have no idea how to answer. MOTH doesn't seem to allow that behavior. But if I should change the system resolution any guidelines on what to change it to?

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
OK my system is set to 1920x1200. Which is the only option on the startup screen (MOTH configuration). When I click on the screen resolution drop down box all I get is 1920x1200. The windowed check is unchecked. If I check it then MOTH comes up in a window frame. But it will not resize. So how do I change the resolution it comes up in?

===================== Edit =========================

I just reread what people said. Are you guys saying I need to change my system resolution? I usually play the f95zone games in a windowed window so I can have the walkthrough up to reference if I see a question I have no idea how to answer. MOTH doesn't seem to allow that behavior. But if I should change the system resolution any guidelines on what to change it to?
I've never needed the "Windowed" mode as I play it in full screen with the highest resolution my monitor supports (1920 x 1080) and match that with the game resolution (see attached screenshot). You can use either or, really. So it doesn't matter; just what your personal preference is. Mind you, I'm using a 24" HD monitor.

Simon Jester

Aug 14, 2018
I've never needed the "Windowed" mode as I play it in full screen with the highest resolution my monitor supports (1920 x 1080) and match that with the game resolution (see attached screenshot). You can use either or, really. So it doesn't matter; just what your personal preference is. Mind you, I'm using a 24" HD monitor.
1920x1200 is the max on the system I run these games on. So I can go lower, but not up.

============== Edit ====================

So I lowered the screen resolution and the configuration had the lower resolution on the drop down box. But when I started the game it went off the screen (about half the upper right widgets were off the screen). if anyone has other ideas, I 'd like to hear them. I sorta want to try this game (I like the image of the little sister and am going through the game set for games that include that model/image). :) But I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that Unity games aren't worth it, even when they are free.

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
1920x1200 is the max on the system I run these games son. So I can go lower, but not up.
Don't use the lower resolutions. You'll lose a lot of the right and left edges of the game screen and won't be able to access most of the functions in the game. So if your max res for your monitor is 1920 x 1200, set the game to the same settings, and when you go into the game, click on the gear icon and set the game at full screen. Also, try lowering the frame rate to 30FPS (by default, MotH uses 60FPS). I honestly don't know if that will help, but it's worth a shot.