Mod Ren'Py Harem Hotel: Expanded Mod / Lain's Walkthrough Mod [v0.17.2] [Maid Lain]

5.00 star(s) 16 Votes

Zenithtb

Oct 21, 2017
I never compared my mod to either of those. You're complaining about things that I never even said lol.
And I'm not sure if you're aware, but those mods are for the Sims and aren't even remotely related to any kinds of mods that I make.
Although I too would like your 0.5 mod to 'float freely on da interwebz', I can't help but think that people are just piling on you for no reason.

I have checked this thread, and the main one, several times to see if it has leaked, but no point did it occur to me to blatantly insult you and your choices. OK, so you're charging for something you made. Considering the site we're on, yeah, I'm kinda expecting it to become 'available'.

But! It takes a different kind of individual to come to the thread of the mod maker, and insult them because the mod hasn't leaked. That takes some balls, and not a little bit of cheek!

Please, people. If you want something that's being charged for, for free, have some class and just wait it out! Demanding that thing and insulting the person for not giving you that thing they're charging for, for free, well, it makes you look like a douche. Or a 6-year-old. Whichever you prefer.

Now I've got that off my chest, I thankyouverymuch!

RedPyrate

Oct 11, 2017
Although I too would like your 0.5 mod to 'float freely on da interwebz', I can't help but think that people are just piling on you for no reason.

I have checked this thread, and the main one, several times to see if it has leaked, but no point did it occur to me to blatantly insult you and your choices. OK, so you're charging for something you made. Considering the site we're on, yeah, I'm kinda expecting it to become 'available'.

But! It takes a different kind of individual to come to the thread of the mod maker, and insult them because the mod hasn't leaked. That takes some balls, and not a little bit of cheek!

Please, people. If you want something that's being charged for, for free, have some class and just wait it out! Demanding that thing and insulting the person for not giving you that thing they're charging for, for free, well, it makes you look like a douche. Or a 6-year-old. Whichever you prefer.

Now I've got that off my chest, I thankyouverymuch!
Exactly, How can people ever complain about something that was done for free.
This is a file sharing site, but the guy has the right to request payment for his efforts. All those guys on Patreon do, and they ask for money long before they have produced anything worthwhile.
I bet none of the critics are willing to go to work for free.
So basically if you are complaining about someone else's gift to you so you can indulge in your erotic fantasies, can you really do that with a straight face?
I'm just gonna say Thanks, Lain.
Captain Red

D

Deleted member 418221

Not able to see current day inside the mod menu, which is annoying because if you don't make it a point to memorize what day it is before entering the menu, you only realize after 4 clicks in, when you're at the specific girl's guide, which means you have to do 4 clicks out and then another 4 in just to check again with the new info.

Overall I can't say I'm a fan of the trend towards making all your walkthroughs a separate screen as opposed to native context clues, like the dialogue ones for DMD. If you had, for example, a toggle-able list on the side of the screen which processed day number, available girls and levels and just gave me a list of locations to visit, that would be amazing. Even better if you could do the dialogue highlighting.

Maid Lain

Modder
Game Developer
Apr 4, 2018
Not able to see current day inside the mod menu, which is annoying because if you don't make it a point to memorize what day it is before entering the menu, you only realize after 4 clicks in, when you're at the specific girl's guide, which means you have to do 4 clicks out and then another 4 in just to check again with the new info.

Overall I can't say I'm a fan of the trend towards making all your walkthroughs a separate screen as opposed to native context clues, like the dialogue ones for DMD. If you had, for example, a toggle-able list on the side of the screen which processed day number, available girls and levels and just gave me a list of locations to visit, that would be amazing. Even better if you could do the dialogue highlighting.
Ah, adding the current day was something I was going to do for v0.5 but I guess I just forgot to add it lol, I'll do it the next time I update the mod. But doing the dialogue choice highlighting sadly isn't possible with Harem Hotel because of how Runey programmed the game.

And yeah, maybe something like this would be nice. I could look into trying to reduce the number of clicks required to see stuff.

test.png

Zenithtb

Oct 21, 2017
I'm sure someone's already mentioned this, but is a "Where the fuck is everybody" button possible?

Instead of having to check their schedules, just tell me. I mean, for example, on Tuesday Afternoon, Lin's supposed to be in the kitchen, but I rarely find her there.

One button and get
  • Lin is: In the kitchen
  • XX is: In the sauna
  • XY is: At work
or something?

Or a "What can I do now?" button, where your current stats are checked, and the mod tells me where/when I should be to trigger each girl's next event, and if I need to obtain anything (item/money) beforehand?

Kind regards!

D

Deleted member 418221

Ah, adding the current day was something I was going to do for v0.5 but I guess I just forgot to add it lol, I'll do it the next time I update the mod. But doing the dialogue choice highlighting sadly isn't possible with Harem Hotel because of how Runey programmed the game.

And yeah, maybe something like this would be nice. I could look into trying to reduce the number of clicks required to see stuff.

View attachment 201892
Yeah that's pretty much it. I'd go even further and just list locations. If someone wants to know why they're visiting those locations, or focus on a specific girl, they can read the guides in detail. Otherwise as a user your focus is on experiencing all the content.

I would encourage you to try this sort of modding with the other mods you have. Think of it like banner ads vs native ads. Both work, but one annoys you while it works, so you're less receptive to the message and more focused on the delivery.

Wrt the dialogue highlighting, that's unfortunate, but I also realize, largely irrelevant to this game, because outside of a few choices (freeing or keeping Lin enslaved, etc.) most of them don't matter. The ones that do at best reduce affection by one, and can easily be fixed by just rolling back and picking another choice. Not like DMD where it's a straight game over.

D

Deleted member 418221

I'm sure someone's already mentioned this, but is a "Where the fuck is everybody" button possible?

Instead of having to check their schedules, just tell me. I mean, for example, on Tuesday Afternoon, Lin's supposed to be in the kitchen, but I rarely find her there.

One button and get
  • Lin is: In the kitchen
  • XX is: In the sauna
  • XY is: At work
or something?

Or a "What can I do now?" button, where your current stats are checked, and the mod tells me where/when I should be to trigger each girl's next event, and if I need to obtain anything (item/money) beforehand?

Kind regards!
What you're describing is basically what I tried to do here: . The problem is that I don't have the time or energy to do it native to the game itself, so it sits outside it in an excel sheet, and you need to tab out and fill the levels manually. But it's entirely dynamic and handles everything else.

Reactions: Maid Lain

Maid Lain

Modder
Game Developer
Apr 4, 2018

I actually did used to have a "Where is everyone right now?" button when you talked to Ellen. But since Runey added the feature where girls hang out in the lobby it became too inaccurate. The schedule tells you where the girls normally are, but things like showers, hanging out at the utility room, and hanging out in the lobby, or specific friendship events all can affect where a girl is.

So normally Lin will be in the place the schedule says, however these things can all make her not be there:

Sunday noon & afternoon -> She hangs out in the lobby
Tuesday morning -> She's in the shower
Wednesday -> She stays in her room all day
Friday afternoon -> She hangs out in the utility room
Special friendship event -> Might be in the spa, laundry room, etc

So keeping track of all those things for all the characters to make a system that tells you where the girls are would be a lot of work.

Warsteel

May 26, 2017
Just a note on modding and how it has changed in the past few years. Author charges money for the mod because he put "over 50 hours" into it. I authored a full model/texture/script and more functionality mod for Fallout: New Vegas (has 20k endorsements on Nexus) with well over 1000 hours of work in it. Absolutely free of charge to this day. Modding used to be a passion, a gift from those who loved something to others who did as well. Now it's a business.

Maid Lain

Modder
Game Developer
Apr 4, 2018
Just a note on modding and how it has changed in the past few years. Author charges money for the mod because he put "over 50 hours" into it. I authored a full model/texture/script and more functionality mod for Fallout: New Vegas (has 20k endorsements on Nexus) with well over 1000 hours of work in it. Absolutely free of charge to this day. Modding used to be a passion, a gift from those who loved something to others who did as well. Now it's a business.
Well I've spent double that amount of time on it since two months ago when I said that, and writing the walkthrough for Runey probably took the same amount of time as well. But anyways personally I disagree with you and don't think modding is a only a business, because there will always be people like you and me who still release mods for free as a gift and don't expect anything for them. I've definitely spent over 1000 hours working on mods and walkthroughs that I've released for free so I can empathize with making something just because you're passionate about it and want others to enjoy it.

But your attitude of "since I spent longer than you on a mod and gained nothing from it that means I'm a real modder and anyone else who spent less time on a mod than me or gained anything from making a mod isn't a true modder" is a bit idiotic. Modding isn't a contest to see who can spend the longest making something while benefiting the least from it.

Warsteel

May 26, 2017
Well I've spent double that amount of time on it since two months ago when I said that, and writing the walkthrough for Runey probably took the same amount of time as well. But anyways personally I disagree with you and don't think modding is a only a business, because there will always be people like you and me who still release mods for free as a gift and don't expect anything for them. I've definitely spent over 1000 hours working on mods and walkthroughs that I've released for free so I can empathize with making something just because you're passionate about it and want others to enjoy it.

But your attitude of "since I spent longer than you on a mod and gained nothing from it that means I'm a real modder and anyone else who spent less time on a mod than me or gained anything from making a mod isn't a true modder" is a bit idiotic. Modding isn't a contest to see who can spend the longest making something while benefiting the least from it.
You assume much. I was speaking of the contrast between the modding scene a few years ago to now, not measuring epeens. Either you're a modder or not, there are no "real" modders just because of whether they charge or not. It's not like it's uncommon these days. Hell even the Nexus was forced to add a donation functionality to the site because so many do it now.

Maid Lain

Modder
Game Developer
Apr 4, 2018
You assume much. I was speaking of the contrast between the modding scene a few years ago to now, not measuring epeens. It's not like it's uncommon these days. Hell even the Nexus was forced to add a donation functionality to the site because so many do it now.
If that was your intention then I don't understand why you would specifically talk about me and my mod and directly compare it to you and your mod. But anways, yeah I'd agree the scene has changed but I don't think for the worse. I don't understand why you would say Nexus was "forced" to add an optional donation feature though since I can't think of any logical reason why someone would think that optionally giving people money for work that they've done is a bad thing. Nexus wasn't forced to do anything.

Warsteel

May 26, 2017
If that was your intention then I don't understand why you would specifically talk about me and my mod and directly compare it to you and your mod. But anways, yeah I'd agree the scene has changed but I don't think for the worse. I don't understand why you would say Nexus was "forced" to add an optional donation feature though since I can't think of any logical reason why someone would think that optionally giving people money for work that they've done is a bad thing. Nexus wasn't forced to do anything.
Again you assume. It's like you're looking for insults where none are given. I didn't say it was bad. It's simply a sign of the changing times. The feature was added because it was being requested by so many mod authors and having to deal with more and more external links embedded in the mod pages or otherwise popping up in descriptions that it became easier to code a new feature into the site than deal with the way things were going so yes, they were forced to out of necessity. When I was doing my mod not a single mod on the site had any such links. It simply was unheard of for authors to receive money for what they did.

Jeno

Donor
Aug 27, 2017
I'm gonna be "that guy"
Full version v0.5:
Thank you :)

It's cheeky to post it in this very thread and I mean no disrespect to Lain at all but... yeah we all know what we come to F95zone for, we don't really want to pay 5$ for a mod, sorry.

5.00 star(s) 16 Votes