Shadowstar2k

Nov 23, 2018
The tutorial probably needs to be redone. I think at some point it ended up getting circumvented and I never bothered to update it because I was trying to stabilize other parts of the game. At the moment, all the documentation is in fairly large text walls in the PDA. There is also a text file in the root folder that lists the key bindings.

For now, here is a quick combat tutorial:
You start with at least one combat ability. You can bind it to a number key by going into your actions menu, selecting the skill (it'll be grayed out here, but don't worry about that). Then hit a number from 1 to 9. 9 doesn't actually show up on the hotbar but I will fix that at some point. You can use that ability by hitting the number key it's bound to. Ranged attacks work the same.

As you acquire new skills and collect weapons, new combat abilities will appear in your actions menu, and you can bind them the same way. After acquiring a new weapon, you may need to walk around a bit for the new actions to appear. This seems to have been a side effect of a recent optimization I did. I will be looking into ways to improve that in the future.

Also, actions that require energy or ammo to use won't work if you don't have the energy or ammo needed.

Last edited:

Ashenbones

Jun 13, 2017
Tried to complete my first mission, put an emitter into the sewers, game crashed immediately upon completion with a "get item" error. Fun.

mrme

Nov 8, 2017
@Shadowstar2k
Hello Shadow, I noticed on your patreon some guy called Robert Urban claiming the menu screen art as his.
The actual artist is , who has their own patreon and writes in a completely different style to Robert. I suspect Robert is just a random white knight DMCA troll, and suggest you contact the actual artist.

Btw, thanks for finally adding tights so I can finally make that batgirl character I've wanted to do since the Toonpimp's Palace days :)

Anon21

Mar 29, 2017
@Shadowstar2k
There's a post up on your patreon saying hotfix 47 has been released, but I can only see hotfix 41 in the freebie folder?

I tried playing the full download from the freebie folder without any hotfixes, but I can't get through the new character screen. It says I have to choose a power before choosing a start - even if I have chosen a power.

[EDIT] Edited for correctness.

Last edited:

slitherhence

Sep 24, 2017
@Shadowstar2k
There's a post up on your patreon saying hotfix 47 has been released, but I can only see hotfix 41 in the freebie folder?

I tried playing the full download from the freebie folder without any hotfixes, but I can't get through the new character screen. It says I have to choose a power before choosing a start - even if I have chosen a power.
I believe Shadowstar2k gave explicit permission to download and share Girl Power 2 regardless of version. So you could simply download it from this thread. In addition you can find it publicly downloadable on his patreon. Hopy that clears up any confusion. :)

Last edited:

Anon21

Mar 29, 2017
I believe Shadowstar2k gave explicit permission to download and share Girl Power 2 regardless of version. So you could simply download it from this thread. In addition you can find it publicly downloadable on his patreon. Hopy that clears up any confusion. :)
Not really? Well, sort of.

It turns out that I misread his post and what I have _is_ V47. Which leaves me with the question, how can I get out of the new character generation screen? :p

I know there are various save games for testing purposes but I'd prefer to start a new character if at all possible.

Menome

Jul 17, 2017
I got through character creation, picked the 'suburban home' start and went to the Grrl HQ. I get told by NPCs there to go down the corridor to the left and talk to the trainers, but I've spoken to everyone that isn't behind a closed door and there's no-one else left with to talk to. Am I missing a not-so-obvious door texture to walk through/interact with or something?

slitherhence

Sep 24, 2017
I got through character creation, picked the 'suburban home' start and went to the Grrl HQ. I get told by NPCs there to go down the corridor to the left and talk to the trainers, but I've spoken to everyone that isn't behind a closed door and there's no-one else left with to talk to. Am I missing a not-so-obvious door texture to walk through/interact with or something?
The only "trainer" is in the first room on the north side of the west hallway. The hologram lets you test out your skills and such. And you should have the option to train skill using skill points according to your character archetype here (for me there is a pentagram on the floor that I can use). How you gain skills very much depends on archetype. Some characters (naturals) need only sleep when they have enough skill points and they will get the option to learn new skills.

Not really? Well, sort of.

It turns out that I misread his post and what I have _is_ V47. Which leaves me with the question, how can I get out of the new character generation screen? :p

I know there are various save games for testing purposes but I'd prefer to start a new character if at all possible.
I had no problem starting a game. Make sure you have set your character background, archetype, AND persona (on the east side of the map... teddy bear, cloud, body icon respectively) and then use one of the four icons at the south end of the character-creation map. (I advise against the mercenary scenario, there is no way to advance it).

Last edited:

Anon21

Mar 29, 2017
I had no problem starting a game. Make sure you have set your character background, archetype, AND persona (on the east side of the map... teddy bear, cloud, body icon respectively) and then use one of the four icons at the south end of the character-creation map.
It was the archetype I was missing, so the warning message "You must choose a power before you can leave!" is wrong. :/

It lets you start without persona, btw (bug, intended?).

slitherhence

Sep 24, 2017
It was the archetype I was missing, so the warning message "You must choose a power before you can leave!" is wrong. :/

Yeah, the game treats "power" and "archetype" as interchangeable but is unclear that it's doing so. As Shadowstar2k said, this is a very very rough game in need of a lot of TLC to be considered ready for actual play. IE He mostly uses it as a testbed for new ideas these days. It should probably be treated as more of a tech demo.

Last edited:

Anon21

Mar 29, 2017
It should probably be treated as more of a tech demo.
Fair enough, but do you know if the missions work? I've been hunting for this slimefungus farm (or something) all over the 'mission' level.

[EDIT] Nevermind, it looks like I had managed to wander off the level without noticing it??

Last edited:

WildCookie

Sep 2, 2017
"Equip" has a specific, known meaning in RPGM games... so anyone (who's reasonable) would have interpreted what you said the way I did. And you don't hotkey weapons. So no, you don't "equip" them that way either. You hotkey actions... as I said in the very text you quoted. And which I have done and does work. You simply select the action in question in the menu and press the hotkey you want to assign it to.

Seriously, I don't get your hostility. I was trying to help you. The game, as is, has a lot of problems. I've said so myself. There's no need to claim it has problems it doesn't actually have.
You are right, I was rude in my post and I apologize for that. Getting annoyed halfway through the PDA and not being able to fight got the best out of me.

Anon21

Mar 29, 2017
Fo... four GB?? WoW.... I missed a lot of things...
I think there's a whole lot of video content, but for the rest it looks to me like the previous Grrl Power! had more finished.

I fully intend to check this out again, in like six months, but I've had enough of it for now.

Shadowstar2k

Nov 23, 2018
Right now, the only thing at GPHQ is a few NPC's and the Training hologram. You can only use that if you have skill points, but it's universal for all archetypes. Otherwise, archetypes train in different ways. The descriptions will tell you how. I have plans to eventually add more to the HQ, but for now it mainly serves as a place to train skill points, a store, and a crafting area. Crafting has not yet been implemented. You can do a few things, but there's not much point at the moment.

I thought I'd fixed that. I'll add it to the bug list.

Yeah, the game treats "power" and "archetype" as interchangeable but is unclear that it's doing so. As Shadowstar2k said, this is a very very rough game in need of a lot of TLC to be considered ready for actual play. IE He mostly uses it as a testbed for new ideas these days. It should probably be treated as more of a tech demo.
Some time ago I tried to clear that up, but maybe there are still a few places where it's ambiguous. The way it's supposed to work is that powers are special abilities. They are optional. Archetypes are a character's source of strength, so Natural, Lucky, Mutant, etc. On the right side of character creation are the three areas where you set Background, Archetype, and Persona. Those are technically the only required bits, and actually Persona isn't required exactly. You can randomize the rest and go without choosing any skills if you want. Void persona components are technically allowed, and I have plans to have a secret thing that uses void personas in some special way, but for now it's best to set those.

Also, while the game doesn't yet have much content in it, the most "complete" starts are the Everyday Girl, Spacer, and Victim start. I don't recommend Victim unless you have a combat-focused set of starting skills or you just like a really hard/rng scenario. It's possible to luck out and escape pretty easily, but I've had some Victim runs that are just rapefests.

For the other two scenarios, right now the main gameplay is just taking missions off the internet, doing them, and making money. Remember to pick up your rewards (packages delivered to your house or Spaceport customs) after finishing each.

Last edited:

CreepyGhost

May 4, 2017
I think there's a whole lot of video content, but for the rest it looks to me like the previous Grrl Power! had more finished.

I fully intend to check this out again, in like six months, but I've had enough of it for now.
I got it today, I will check soon. I don't expect much even if I loved this game back then. Was quite broken tho.

Anon21

Mar 29, 2017
I don't recommend Victim unless you have a combat-focused set of starting skills or you just like a really hard/rng scenario. It's possible to luck out and escape pretty easily, but I've had some Victim runs that are just rapefests.
I found victim pretty easy once you get used to the combat system and the starting area. Just sling stones against all the melee guys.

slitherhence

Sep 24, 2017
Some time ago I tried to clear that up, but maybe there are still a few places where it's ambiguous. The way it's supposed to work is that powers are special abilities. They are optional. Archetypes are a character's source of strength, so Natural, Lucky, Mutant, etc.
The question mark next to the background/archetype/persona selection describes them as background/power/persona. And when trying to select a scenario while not having selected an archetype it complains about not having selected a power. But I get what you're going for now, so I'll keep an eye out for any more such inconsistencies.

On the right side of character creation are the three areas where you set Background, Archetype, and Persona. Those are technically the only required bits, and actually Persona isn't required exactly. You can randomize the rest and go without choosing any skills if you want. Void persona components are technically allowed, and I have plans to have a secret thing that uses void personas in some special way, but for now it's best to set those.
Huh, neat. I'll keep that in mind.

Actually, it was mostly uncompressed or only lightly-compressed audio. And a lot of it. I made a "compressed audio" repack of the game that can be downloaded or from the OP. I was able to cut the download size in half.

Last edited:

CreepyGhost

May 4, 2017
Still one of the most broken games I ever played.. Still, the dev spend many hours and I will be glad to check the final result (in the next life)