3D-Daz Big Brother: Art Assets

DukeOfBourbon

Jan 17, 2018
Nice! Thanks for the link, I now have the only "clothing" i need for her :p

By the way, I was wondering, since pretty much all the resources are available to make the characters look like the game, isn't it easier to save the base model with all the morphs and shaders correctly applied in a scene duf and share it? Are some of the properties lost from saving and sharing here? I can share my progress on Lisa if you guys want. I'm not very experienced in Daz but i'm acquiring the taste for it

KingBel

Nov 12, 2017
Hi All.. Been lurking for a long time.. but very keen to try my hand at developing my own game.

Quick Question though.. I have an i7 3.4Ghz with 64Gb RAM... and a ASUS ROG HD7970.. unfortunately it's not a Nvidia card so it does not get picked up by DAZ. I can only use CPU Rendering. My question is ... how long would it take to do one render to the quality level of Big Brother assets?

Thanks in advance.

celtic1138

Game Developer
Apr 22, 2017
Nice! Thanks for the link, I now have the only "clothing" i need for her :p

By the way, I was wondering, since pretty much all the resources are available to make the characters look like the game, isn't it easier to save the base model with all the morphs and shaders correctly applied in a scene duf and share it? Are some of the properties lost from saving and sharing here? I can share my progress on Lisa if you guys want. I'm not very experienced in Daz but i'm acquiring the taste for it
You need the character morphs and the skin textures to be saved in the correct place in order for a duf with a character to load properly. When you save the morph and the texture data it links to the file system of the computer it's saved on. So it's not as simple as just sharing the duf.

It is possible to save it correctly and package it, but it's not the simplest think to do, it takes a shit load of time and testing to make sure it's right.

Reactions: aeonium

celtic1138

Game Developer
Apr 22, 2017
Hi All.. Been lurking for a long time.. but very keen to try my hand at developing my own game.

Quick Question though.. I have an i7 3.4Ghz with 64Gb RAM... and a ASUS ROG HD7970.. unfortunately it's not a Nvidia card so it does not get picked up by DAZ. I can only use CPU Rendering. My question is ... how long would it take to do one render to the quality level of Big Brother assets?

Thanks in advance.
For someone experienced in lighting Daz scenes, the rendering time alone would be at the very least 4 hours. (I'm being very conservative).

Reactions: aeonium

KingBel

Nov 12, 2017
For someone experienced in lighting Daz scenes, the rendering time alone would be at the very least 4 hours. (I'm being very conservative).
Thanks very much for the response. Big fan of your work by the way :)
I think I will flesh out my storyline first, work on the branching and begin the planning around the coding... hopefully by then I can get myself a new GPU. And possibly just select a few models and settings for my characters in the meantime.

DukeOfBourbon

Jan 17, 2018
You need the character morphs and the skin textures to be saved in the correct place in order for a duf with a character to load properly. When you save the morph and the texture data it links to the file system of the computer it's saved on. So it's not as simple as just sharing the duf.

It is possible to save it correctly and package it, but it's not the simplest think to do, it takes a shit load of time and testing to make sure it's right.
I see, that's what I thought would happen at some point...Well we can always resort to the recepies you guys share here so no problem there. Thanks for the info.

lancelot0501

Jun 2, 2017
Hello guys!
I'd like to thank you all for collecting stuff for us with my first render. Hope you like it! Turns out properly lighting a scene is a pain in the ass. Not to mention the render time without an nVidia GPU.
lisa_photo_studio.png

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Turns out properly lighting a scene is a pain in the ass.
...something photographers and film directors have known for a LONG time. LOL. This is the downside of using a Physically Based Renderer like IRay - you have to deal with all the "real world" issues of getting scenes lit.

(Not that there aren't tricks - @celtic1138 is a master of "Ghost Lighting")

DukeOfBourbon

Jan 17, 2018
Having some knowledge about aperture, shutter speed and exposure will help you get good results using the Tone Mapping tab on the Render Settings. Like Rich said, in Daz these concepts are applied just like in real life. I always think about taking a picture is like filling a glass of water, the analogy might not be the best but it can help understand said concepts.

Aperture - Is how much you turn the faucet, the more you open it the less time you need to have it open.
Shutter speed - The time you have the faucet open.
Exposure - The imaginary line where the glass is full enough.
Sensor format - Diameter of the glass, bigger the sensor, bigger the glass.
ISO - Height of the glass, in this case the higher the iso value the lower the glass is.

And that's basically it, these concepts are all connected, to adjust one you'll have to think about the other and taking a good picture is the dance between increasing some values and decreasing the others. This probably will confuse you even more but it makes some sense (I think) ahah, just imagine that light is like water running really fast lol.

Also there are some lighting sets available for Daz to get you started. Usually in a photography studio you'll have the basic set up. Here you have a bright Key light in front or a bit to the side to give most of the lighting to the subject, a more dim Fill light by the other side to ease the harsh shadows cast by the Key light and then there is the Rim light behind the subject usually opposed to the Key light, this light is very bright and its purpose is to create a very thin line around the model to better define her/his/it's silhouette. I've used a similar setup on my render I posted a few posts back, you can even notice the shadows on the ground and see where the lights are and their intensity.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Wow, @DukeOfBourbon, I really like that analogy. I would have phrased ISO as "higher ISO is a narrower glass, so it takes less total water to get up to the imaginary exposure line" and I'm not exactly sure how "sensor format" plays in, but still VERY understandable. I'm going to plagiarize that when and if I need to explain this to somebody.

But the bottom line is that if you're going to use IRay effectively, you have to know how light works in the real world, because that's what it's trying to simulate, and the techniques for lighting scenes well have been pretty well worked out in the photography and film areas, so tutorials abound if you go a'looking...

DukeOfBourbon

Jan 17, 2018
Yes, the narrower glass is a better term for it, for instance an ISO 1200 or higher is like a shot glass while ISO 100 is like a big wine glass where you can almost take a bath in lol. I've worked at a local photography studio retouching photos in photoshop/lightroom for print, so photography is kind of an hobbie to me and it is really amazing how well modern software can replicate real life conditions, you can almost use it as a guide for your photo shoot sessions. Iray is really an awesome renderer. Octane and RedShift look nice too but for my needs they get a bit expensive so I never tried those.

Thundorn

Dec 31, 2017
If you really want to get a handle on these things just watch literally any video on the exposure triangle. Although daz's attempts to simulate camera settings are flawed at best.

ttll

Game Developer
Jan 20, 2018
Why does anyone can't give a save scene with each of characters, like did this guy in DoD?

I load all 16GB, i read the tutorial, but on the step "In the Morph Loader hit the Button "Choose Morph Files" and browse to the location of your character morphs and choose the one you like"
Morph Files - .obj Where obj files in this great pack?
Feel stuped...
And in pack absent Caitlin files... Or i didn't find them...
God, u upload so great pic here, can u just give "save files"?

Excuse me, with great respect to all.

Reactions: Mickaveli

WBWB

Jul 8, 2017
Here are mine, with stock skins. You'll have to replace them with the latest improved versions in this thread. I believe I got all of the morphs correct.

They are saved as Scene Subsets, just merge them into your scene.

DukeOfBourbon

Jan 17, 2018
You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Thanks a lot for the duf's, this saves a lot of time fiddling around with morphs and searching for the right ones. By the way, I tried Ann's scene and there were 2 chars missing, don't really know if i've missed them on the mega download or they aren't available there yet so here they are in case anyone wants them too: and . I'll check later if more resources are missing.

Reactions: Mickaveli