3D-Daz Big Brother: Art Assets

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
You can organize stuff inside Daz studio by making custom categories (right click on "Categories" and "create sub-Category")
It just ads database extra entries without touching the original files.
This is how you're supposed to do it, but I find the interface a lot harder to work with than organizing physical files.

So if you still want to go the files route:
The actual assets (textures, geometries, etc) are placed inside the "Runtime" or the "data" directories.
I don't think it's a good idea to move them because it will break links.
But what you see inside Daz studio are just links to those assets, organized into "People", "Animals", "Props" etc.
I don't think there is any harm in copying or moving them to different directories.
Do NOT move anything in the Runtime or data directories - the system depends on the relative paths of those assets being unchanged. You CAN re-arrange the items in the People / Animals / Props folders - specifically anything that has a .DUF extension - those are "user-facing" files and aren't location-sensitive.

That being said, if you move them, the "Smart Content" feature won't work correctly unless you then rebuild the metadata database.

So categories are your better option if you want to "re-organize" things.

megadork

Dec 10, 2017
So I just unzip all the stuff from the mega on page 1 to the my Library then rebuild the database ?

Then try to categorize the stuff inside Daz ?

bubbas

Apr 26, 2017
Happy New Year everyone!

Check by techn0magier

jbnyc has made a pdf of it here

I'll quote a PM I've sent some time ago:

Here is my Library in the My Documents folder:

And here is my library in my other drive:

As you can see there is a TON of files inside! The important folders basically are 3:
  • Data (morphs, geomerty)
  • People (poses, characters, expressions, clothes, etc.)
  • Runtime (mostly textures)
When you load a character, daz studio loads up the files needed for that asset. If it does not find all the files it will give you an error. If a texture is missing you will get a white surface, if some geometry is missing you will get a square.

Next, I'll try to guide you manually installing a hair asset. I open up the zip file with winrar.

Inside the content folder there are 3 folders

Just copy the folders in your library, overwrite any files.

I hope this helps, if you have any trouble let me know

macadam

Chicken Bubble Butt
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2016
i dont think its on the Mega link at top OP soo i m gonna here ( just in case)

can somebody share the character save please ? i m pretty bad at recreating characters even with all the stuff ( that i probably already have because i have now shit-tons of stuff ^^ )
soo if someone can share the characters .duf saves for a quick load that will be awesome :D

megadork

Dec 10, 2017
Happy New Year everyone!

Check by techn0magier

jbnyc has made a pdf of it here

I'll quote a PM I've sent some time ago:

Here is my Library in the My Documents folder:

And here is my library in my other drive:

As you can see there is a TON of files inside! The important folders basically are 3:
  • Data (morphs, geomerty)
  • People (poses, characters, expressions, clothes, etc.)
  • Runtime (mostly textures)
When you load a character, daz studio loads up the files needed for that asset. If it does not find all the files it will give you an error. If a texture is missing you will get a white surface, if some geometry is missing you will get a square.

Next, I'll try to guide you manually installing a hair asset. I open up the zip file with winrar.

Inside the content folder there are 3 folders

Just copy the folders in your library, overwrite any files.

I hope this helps, if you have any trouble let me know

So I wont need the manifest or supplement files ?

bubbas

Apr 26, 2017
So I wont need the manifest or supplement files ?
If you install manually, no you don't need the manifest nor the supplement files. Personally, I install everything manually so I can have total control over the files being copied. The drawback is that I have to also manually delete the assets I don't use. I'd recommend using multiple libraries so everything is easier to backup and manage.

Some more food for thought:

Reactions: megadork

WBWB

Jul 8, 2017
Any suggestions for reducing the amount of system RAM (not video RAM) used when rendering? My Ivy Bridge PC is Mini-ITX so it has only 2 RAM slots and it's already maxed out at 16 GB. On some scenes, as it's preparing to render, it eats all 16 GB and begins hitting the virtual memory swap file, which slows it down and the entire system suffers even more because there is no unused RAM to serve as a disk cache. By the time it starts the actual render, the commit size for the whole system is 24+ GB and it stays that way until the render window is closed.

My next PC, whenever I build it in the nebulous future, will be maxed out on RAM, 32 GB minimum.

Techn0magier

Jul 2, 2017
If your GPU can handle it, set your rendersetting in the option instancing optimization from speed to memory. But be aware some geometry shells can fuck up, if your rig is too weak. I'm looking at you NGV8.

Deleted member 27575

Game Developer
May 7, 2017
I just downloaded the entire asset pack but everything is zipped/rared.

Do I manually have to unzip everything?! We are talking thousands of files (crazy amount of shaders)

megadork

Dec 10, 2017
I just downloaded the entire asset pack but everything is zipped/rared.

Do I manually have to unzip everything?! We are talking thousands of files (crazy amount of shaders)
Yeah.....unless it's a certain file zip name, the daz install manager wont see it.

Took me about an hour to do it manually for all of them awhile ago.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Is there a guide on how to install the assets using the DAZ Install Manager?
Any file that has the format IM000#####-0#_SomeName.zip (#=digits) you can simply copy into the folder that DAZ Install Manager (DIM) uses for downloads. If you're not sure where that is, you can click on the "gear" in DIM - the paths are listed on one of the tabs.

Once you've put the file(s) into the download area, start DIM. You don't have to log in with your DAZ ID - just work offline. DIM will sort through the files in the downloads area, figure out which ones haven't been installed and which have, and then give you a list. Check the boxes, and press "Install." It's up to you, but I usually have DAZ delete the zip files after installing (I keep copies elsewhere).

WBWB

Jul 8, 2017
My secret for working with premade poses of interacting figures (e.g. Xameva's series of sex poses): the poses are often intended for Victoria 7 and Michael 7 and will have gaps or clipping body parts if used with other figures. So I have in my scene subsets folder alternate versions of the Big Brother characters that have the correct textures and head morphs but pure V7 or M7 body morphs. (To make each one, I loaded the pure figure, then changed it's head morph to that of the character, then loaded the character's material.) It's not ideal but the poses tend to work perfectly so I don't have to spend time moving every goddamn fingertip to avoid clipping the tits and asses and other body parts.

Walt Dee

Apr 4, 2017
You guys and girls do such fantastic work in Daz3D. I'm constantly amazed.

If any of you are also fans of The Tyrant, would you mind figuring out what assets are used for it and post what you find in the created for it?

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
I'm doing up a new shader for Ann. She seems to have gained more colour in the game and I'm doing a shader to better match. Image 1 is the old version for comparison and Image 2 and Image 3 are options for the new one (Only minor variations):

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Very nice!

Max Headroom

pauper commilito CtSH
Sep 27, 2017
I'm doing up a new shader for Ann. She seems to have gained more colour in the game and I'm doing a shader to better match. Image 1 is the old version for comparison and Image 2 and Image 3 are options for the new one (Only minor variations):

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Very minor. :D but anyway I prefer Ann New 2