• Too hard to use.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • This thing ate my dog.

Votes: 20 17.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

derejericho

Oct 8, 2017
Hi. I've encountered another issue. Sorry. I tried to crunch some images and videos again which I've been crunched before, but it doesn't do anything. I put them in a folder or separately, nothing happens.

LightmanP

Modder
Game Developer
Oct 5, 2020
Hi. I've encountered another issue. Sorry. I tried to crunch some images and videos again which I've been crunched before, but it doesn't do anything. I put them in a folder or separately, nothing happens.
Try clearing compression history maybe?

estrada777

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Mar 22, 2020
Enhancement request: When it detects that a file has become zero size after the compression it currently gives you a y/n prompt as to whether you want to revert. Either make this always be a Yes or somehow make the window come to the front or show something in the parent command window. Often that prompt will be sitting, minimized in the background for a long time before I discover that it has stopped running.

FAP369ZONE

Aug 29, 2018
Is it possible to add a feature to custom option to change to a specific bitrate for video and audio (something like 1111kb/s and 128kb/s)?

hngg

Compress All The Things!
Modder
Game Compressor
Donor
May 26, 2019
Enhancement request: When it detects that a file has become zero size after the compression it currently gives you a y/n prompt as to whether you want to revert. Either make this always be a Yes or somehow make the window come to the front or show something in the parent command window. Often that prompt will be sitting, minimized in the background for a long time before I discover that it has stopped running.
It's never done that before; could you provide a screenshot or something? I haven't made any prompts like that.

Is it possible to add a feature to custom option to change to a specific bitrate for video and audio (something like 1111kb/s and 128kb/s)?
The custom audio option does that, though the max is currently 100kb/s.
As far as video, average and constant bit rate modes are not as efficient as the constant rate factor mode that is currently being used. There is no way to predict the bit rate of a constant rate factor encode. I can't provide a means of setting a specific bit rate for video.

Reactions: FAP369ZONE

estrada777

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Mar 22, 2020
It's never done that before; could you provide a screenshot or something? I haven't made any prompts like that.
It doesn't happen often, but next time it does I'll try to remember to come back and post here.

Reactions: hngg

estrada777

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Mar 22, 2020
Got one:

1637024482511.png

In this case it looks like the moron, ahem, dev put an exclamation mark in the file name: "Rabbit Vibrator at work! Rotating Thrusting Beads Multi Speed.mp3"

Maybe you need quotes around a filename somewhere?

Meushi

Aug 4, 2017
Is it possible to add a feature to custom option to change to a specific bitrate
As far as video, average and constant bit rate modes are not as efficient as the constant rate factor mode that is currently being used. There is no way to predict the bit rate of a constant rate factor encode. I can't provide a means of setting a specific bit rate for video.
That's true, but optionally setting -b:v to a non-zero value via a variable might be a useful compromise?
ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -c:v libvpx-vp9 -crf 30 -b:v 2000k output.webm

Should work exactly the same for easy clips, while limiting the bitrate & file size for hard clips.

- Constrained Quality.

FAP369ZONE

Aug 29, 2018
That's true, but optionally setting -b:v to a non-zero value via a variable might be a useful compromise?

Should work exactly the same for easy clips, while limiting the bitrate & file size for hard clips.

- Constrained Quality.
That is what i had in mind and this code also looks interesting (-minrate 500k -b:v 2000k -maxrate 2500k), you can set min and max bitrate. Thanks for posting this... need to study this a bit more!

Reactions: Meushi

hngg

Compress All The Things!
Modder
Game Compressor
Donor
May 26, 2019
Got one:

View attachment 1502265

In this case it looks like the moron, ahem, dev put an exclamation mark in the file name: "Rabbit Vibrator at work! Rotating Thrusting Beads Multi Speed.mp3"

Maybe you need quotes around a filename somewhere?
Thanks, I'll take a look at that over the weekend.

- Constrained Quality.
I used to use constrained quality(pre YAC 2.0) but it actually slows down encode time from what I tested. I didn't see much benefit in it either since you either set it too high and it does nothing, or too low and you've essentially made a single-pass average bitrate encode(just about the worst of all modes).
Constrained quality might make sense for streaming data when you don't want to exceed available bandwidth, but these games are all played with locally cached files so bandwidth is irrelevant. If files are too big, just drop the quality a bit.

• Thinking Face

Meushi

Aug 4, 2017
I used to use constrained quality(pre YAC 2.0) but it actually slows down encode time from what I tested. I didn't see much benefit in it either since you either set it too high and it does nothing, or too low and you've essentially made a single-pass average bitrate encode(just about the worst of all modes).
It would be slower where the bitrate limit kicked in, and the same speed where it didn't (so slower overall).
Constrained quality might make sense for streaming data when you don't want to exceed available bandwidth, but these games are all played with locally cached files so bandwidth is irrelevant. If files are too big, just drop the quality a bit.
The problem with that is, you're dropping the quality for everything, including the files which didn't hit whatever the desired bitrate limit is. Constrained only drops the quality further on videos which are harder to encode.

I often encounter game with huge variations in video bitrate (sometimes >100 MB/s). On my low-spec machine, vids with blu-ray esq bitrates run poorly (stutter etc.). Unnecessarily high bitrates also signifigantly increase the file size, which is a primary issue for this tool. Constrained knocks these high bitrate vids down without hammering those which had reasonable bitrates to start with.

These things are always a tradeoff, which is why I suggested using an optional variable. Most users can stick to your existing -b:v 0 as the default, while those who want constrained can set it to a desired value (and suffer the extra processing time).

Merely an idea to address FAPmasters369 request with minimal fuss. Depends how many other users might want it?

Last edited:

hngg

Compress All The Things!
Modder
Game Compressor
Donor
May 26, 2019
Translate this tool into Chinese
翻译成中文版
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Oh my god.
woah glasses.gif

"Inspired" has been misspelled this whole time? :HideThePain:

In all seriousness, that's cool! Thanks!

It would be slower where the bitrate limit kicked in, and the same speed where it didn't (so slower overall).

The problem with that is, you're dropping the quality for everything, including the files which didn't hit whatever the desired bitrate limit is. Constrained only drops the quality further on videos which are harder to encode.
Hmm, Okay I can add a bitrate limiter on next release. I just figured if people compressed a game and most of the videos looked fine but one or two random videos looked bad because of bitrate constraints, they'd blame it on the tool messing up. It'll only be in the custom mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meushi

V4mpire

Game Developer
Dec 20, 2020
Hi,

Not sure if anyone else had encounted this, but after using it several times before i've tried to use it today and fails to remain open, I opened a CMD and accessed it and got the the following:

1638715166719.png

this was the same with V3.1b which i was using then upgraded to 3.2 just to see if something was missing from the package to no avail, any ideas what this could be?

hngg

Compress All The Things!
Modder
Game Compressor
Donor
May 26, 2019
Hi,

Not sure if anyone else had encounted this, but after using it several times before i've tried to use it today and fails to remain open, I opened a CMD and accessed it and got the the following:

View attachment 1531371

this was the same with V3.1b which i was using then upgraded to 3.2 just to see if something was missing from the package to no avail, any ideas what this could be?
As soon as you double-click the .bat file you get that output? Can you try deleting the E:\yac folder?

V4mpire

Game Developer
Dec 20, 2020
As soon as you double-click the .bat file you get that output? Can you try deleting the E:\yac folder?
Actually as soon as i double-click the .bat file it doesn't give chance to display anything and quickly closes, i opened CMD then ran the .bat file to get that, deleting the folder doesn't work as i tried extracting to a new folder aswell to get the same result.

I even tried cruncher from bas which this is based off and got the same result, it's like my system is now missing a file it's expecting and then failing, which I have no clue what file this is.

V4mpire

Game Developer
Dec 20, 2020
hngg do you have an idea what file it could be looking for on my system that it can no longer find? as i can't see anything it would look for on start which would cause it to fail

hngg

Compress All The Things!
Modder
Game Compressor
Donor
May 26, 2019
hngg do you have an idea what file it could be looking for on my system that it can no longer find? as i can't see anything it would look for on start which would cause it to fail
Please try replacing the main bat file with the one I've attached to this post. Then, try running with the CMD window again. It won't fix anything, but it won't hide as much stuff and might give us a better idea of where things are failing.