• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hngg

Compress All The Things!
Modder
Game Compressor
Donor
May 26, 2019
I have a question about the audio settings used. I just ran with highest compression setting and it seems to have set the audio bitrate to a fixed 48k. I've noticed that this is higher than many source audio files, so I wonder about the decision. Is this not attempting to upsample the audio in this case? Running V3.1c.
  1. The bit rate is variable, with the average target set to 48k on the low quality preset.
  2. Very few games have a bit rate this low to start with. In my experience, most use bit rates between 128-320KB/s.
  3. If the game you are compressing really was using a lower bit rate, the original file will be kept because it will be smaller.
I noticed you also mentioned "upsample", which is not quite the same thing. Most audio files use 44.1k sample rate, which is not supported by the OPUS codec. 48k is used for all target bit rates as that is the sample rate the codec is designed around. Any artifacts caused by the sample rate conversion needed for OPUS are far outweighed by the greater bit efficiency of the codec(at least, at these low bit rates).

estrada777

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Mar 22, 2020
  1. The bit rate is variable, with the average target set to 48k on the low quality preset.
  2. Very few games have a bit rate this low to start with. In my experience, most use bit rates between 128-320KB/s.
  3. If the game you are compressing really was using a lower bit rate, the original file will be kept because it will be smaller.
I noticed you also mentioned "upsample", which is not quite the same thing. Most audio files use 44.1k sample rate, which is not supported by the OPUS codec. 48k is used for all target bit rates as that is the sample rate the codec is designed around. Any artifacts caused by the sample rate conversion needed for OPUS are far outweighed by the greater bit efficiency of the codec(at least, at these low bit rates).
Ok, i think that makes sense. Is there extra CPU overhead to convert from the lower sampling rate to the higher one during the conversion, e.g. does it take longer?

hngg

Compress All The Things!
Modder
Game Compressor
Donor
May 26, 2019
Ok, i think that makes sense. Is there extra CPU overhead to convert from the lower sampling rate to the higher one during the conversion, e.g. does it take longer?
There is no way to turn the sample rate conversion off. OPUS always converts to 48k samples/sec.

Taking the wheels off of your car may make it lighter, but since you can't drive without wheels there isn't much point in it.

estrada777

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Mar 22, 2020
I'm trying to compress PublicSexLife 0.33 using level 2 in YAC 3.1c. I find that a number of files end up corrupted after the compression. Is there any way that I can know what the heck is going wrong?

hngg

Compress All The Things!
Modder
Game Compressor
Donor
May 26, 2019
I figure you could use one application if webp and the other if not?
That's exactly what I tried to do, but that game(and a few others) has named the webp files png, so the wrong tool is used.

Here, .

estrada777

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Mar 22, 2020
That's exactly what I tried to do, but that game(and a few others) has named the webp files png, so the wrong tool is used.

Here, .
Bastages!

estrada777

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Mar 22, 2020

Here, .
Yep, that looks to have solved the problem.

Reactions: GoDfLesH

GoDfLesH

Feb 19, 2020
is there any bugfixes or code changes since 3.1c? simply i've made an x86 version to use it on my tablet with win10 x86.

FAP369ZONE

Aug 29, 2018
Something might be off with v3.2, sometimes totally random it seem "nconvert" stops working after maybe 30to60 seconds. Tried to see if it happens with v3.1c but never did...

hngg

Compress All The Things!
Modder
Game Compressor
Donor
May 26, 2019
Something might be off with v3.2, sometimes totally random it seem "nconvert" stops working after maybe 30to60 seconds. Tried to see if it happens with v3.1c but never did...
Hmm, what game are you testing with? Does it happen with other games?

FAP369ZONE

Aug 29, 2018
Hmm, what game are you testing with? Does it happen with other games?
Did this about a week ago to clear some space but forgot to mention that nconvert error here. I think it was this one (already deleted it but was curious about that nconvert error). Think i got that nconvert error with one more but can't really remember lol... think it was some old abandoned EGame.

p.s. Just tried v3.2 with this and it works good, no error.
Also i use custom settings (image, video and audio quality ratio set @85%) when doing MyRepacks with YAC.

derejericho

Oct 8, 2017
Just tried to crunch some images for my game, but it doesn't crunch them at all. They are the same size. When I try to crunch them again it shows me they are already crunched. Is it possible there is an output folder where the crunched files are stored?

hngg

Compress All The Things!
Modder
Game Compressor
Donor
May 26, 2019
Just tried to crunch some images for my game, but it doesn't crunch them at all. They are the same size. When I try to crunch them again it shows me they are already crunched. Is it possible there is an output folder where the crunched files are stored?
The script places the compressed files in a folder then moves them to the original location if the file is smaller. It does this one file at a time and doesn't wait until all files are finished before moving. Maybe there is a problem with the names of the folders or files. Please make sure there are no non-ASCII characters in any part of the file paths.

derejericho

Oct 8, 2017
The script places the compressed files in a folder then moves them to the original location if the file is smaller. It does this one file at a time and doesn't wait until all files are finished before moving. Maybe there is a problem with the names of the folders or files. Please make sure there are no non-ASCII characters in any part of the file paths.
I've made it this time! The thing was, I placed the images directly into the folder 'game'. They must be in a folder and then placed in the 'game' folder. Thanks.

Reactions: hngg