• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hngg

Compress All The Things!
Modder
Game Compressor
Donor
May 26, 2019
Looking at this compressed release, it seems that non-ASCII filenames are corrupted, at least for Linux: when extracted they came out as Latin-1, but the Ren'Py executable expected them to be in UTF-8.
Hmm, I'm not sure but I think Techstar recompiled those builds, which may be relevant. If there is an issue with non-ASCII filenames it wouldn't surprise me, I haven't done any testing of that. Most games stick to ASCII but I know there are some that don't(some Russian games, notably).

What kind of issues did you run into and how were you tipped off to this?

Edit:
Interesting... I downloaded the linux version of that compressed release and I found the filenames differed after I recompiled. 1620858593438.png
The window on the left is Techstar's release as it appears when I extract it with 7zip, the window on the right is after recompiling with the RenPy SDK and extracting with 7zip again. The filename format differs and upon trying to compress with file explorer I get this: 1620858928826.png

So perhaps Techstar didn't recompile?

Try downloading this and let me know if the names are correct:

Last edited:

Techstar

Crlazy Compressor - Retired
Modder
Game Compressor
Donor
Dec 31, 2017
Looking at this compressed release, it seems that non-ASCII filenames are corrupted, at least for Linux: when extracted they came out as Latin-1, but the Ren'Py executable expected them to be in UTF-8.
Hmm, I'm not sure but I think Techstar recompiled those builds, which may be relevant. If there is an issue with non-ASCII filenames it wouldn't surprise me, I haven't done any testing of that. Most games stick to ASCII but I know there are some that don't(some Russian games, notably).

What kind of issues did you run into and how were you tipped off to this?

Edit:
Interesting... I downloaded the linux version of that compressed release and I found the filenames differed after I recompiled. View attachment 1191842
The window on the left is Techstar's release as it appears when I extract it with 7zip, the window on the right is after recompiling with the RenPy SDK and extracting with 7zip again. The filename format differs and upon trying to compress with file explorer I get this: View attachment 1191849

So perhaps Techstar didn't recompile?

Try downloading this and let me know if the names are correct:
This is very strange, I did recompile all my game. This is the first time I meet this problem, will take a look after work.

Techstar

Crlazy Compressor - Retired
Modder
Game Compressor
Donor
Dec 31, 2017
I've gotten this problem before trying to recompile a game with winrar
But somehow it worked using 7-zip
Anyway the game just got a bugfix out, so it might be an issue with the dev release.
I doing the new version now as say.
I think we should stop the discussion for this game now as this thread is support to be YAC and the issue is not cause by YAC.
Sorry hngg for using this thread for unrelated issue and thank for fixing the issue.

cooljav

Oct 5, 2017
Hi I've used the resolution limiting but as expected resized videos only take up part of the screen when played. How can i fix it on a RenPy game? What line can i add on script.rpy file?

hngg

Compress All The Things!
Modder
Game Compressor
Donor
May 26, 2019
Hi I've used the resolution limiting but as expected resized videos only take up part of the screen when played. How can i fix it on a RenPy game? What line can i add on script.rpy file?
It depends on the game. As an example. for WaifuAcademy all I did was add
image movie = Movie(size=(gui.init), xpos=0, ypos=0, xanchor=0, yanchor=0)

But that won't work for every game. In general, I use notepad++ and use the "find in files" function to replace movie ( with movie (size=(1920,1080),
Of course, replace 1920,1080 with whatever the game's resolution is, which you can find by looking at the variable "gui.init" inside gui.rpy. Sometimes the game devs split things up and don't place everything inside the script.rpy file, so you'll want to enable "In all sub-folders" to make sure it gets everything.
replace in files.png Also, just in case the dev wasn't consistant, you may want to replace movie( with movie ( first, just to make everything uniform.

derejericho

Oct 8, 2017
Hi. How much time does it take for the files to be compressed? It showing "crunching..." for hours.

Dipsode

Aug 12, 2017
Hi. How much time does it take for the files to be compressed? It showing "crunching..." for hours.
Yes, it can take hours.
It depends on the number of files, the type of files, the machine used...
I've had files that took more than 10 hours to compress on a Ryzen 7 and 16 GB RAM

hngg

Compress All The Things!
Modder
Game Compressor
Donor
May 26, 2019
You can open the sub-process CMD windows in your taskbar to see what is taking so long. Usually it's the videos, especially if you only have 2 cores. If you don't see the file counters going up at all after a while, something probably went wrong.

Most games take less than an hour on my newer computer(many under 10 minutes).

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
I have used Cruncher, but I haven't tried YAC yet. I am curious, for those that have use both, which do you prefer and why? It looks like the original Cruncher hasn't been updated in awhile. Does YAC, since it is newer, produce better/more compatible results?

AdventAnyx

Game Developer
Feb 2, 2020
Oooh, a new version. Right in time, I'm gonna use it.
Thanks for updating your awesome tool
:love:

AdventAnyx

Game Developer
Feb 2, 2020
Jesus Christ...
PC shut down twice in the first hour, by reaching 100 C.
Never happened during the winter-autumn crunching :HideThePain:
Had to manually config all the fans to 100% speed and turn my IRL fan towards the PC. Floats around 95-98 C
Not sure if hot summer or you've reached efficiency that shouldn't be allowed :LUL:

AdventAnyx

Game Developer
Feb 2, 2020
Also while I'm at it (sorry for the spam):
is this window supposed to be updating in real-time? Because it doesn't. I launched it after the shutdown, and it shows the same numbers for over 20 minutes now, while the other window is doing work. It blinks but does not update the numbers.
Btw, crunching all the other stuff simultaneously was pretty cool
Screenshot_1.png

hngg

Compress All The Things!
Modder
Game Compressor
Donor
May 26, 2019
Also while I'm at it (sorry for the spam):
is this window supposed to be updating in real-time? Because it doesn't. I launched it after the shutdown, and it shows the same numbers for over 20 minutes now, while the other window is doing work. It blinks but does not update the numbers.
Btw, crunching all the other stuff simultaneously was pretty cool
View attachment 1319643
It's supposed to update every 2 seconds with whatever numbers the other windows provide it. Each process writes a list of files that it's completed to a text file at YAC_Tools\Current_session. If the numbers in the main window aren't going up, the child processes might not be writing to the text file for some reason. Either that, or the video process finished and didn't tell the main window... What does the "crunching video" window say there?

Jesus Christ... PC shut down twice in the first hour, by reaching 100 C. Never happened during the winter-autumn crunching :HideThePain: Had to manually config all the fans to 100% speed and turn my IRL fan towards the PC. Floats around 95-98 C Not sure if hot summer or you've reached efficiency that shouldn't be allowed :LUL:

Try crunching two games at once! Wait, don't. I don't want to be responsible for your home burning down. :D

In all seriousness, 100c is mighty hot. A cooling upgrade might be in order. Perhaps a drop in voltage if overclocked. I peak to 85c when crunching two videos at once(video is the real heat generator).

Last edited:

AdventAnyx

Game Developer
Feb 2, 2020
It...does its thing...? I mean, it crunches file after file. What exactly should I look for in that window? It's still going right now, feels like 80% done with the game.
edit: found the txt file that has all the names of already crunched files. It updates correctly.

In all seriousness, 100c is mighty hot. A cooling upgrade might be in order. Perhaps a drop in voltage if overclocked. I peak to 85c when crunching two videos at once(video is the real heat generator).
Yeah, no. It better hold, I'm not upgrading the thing for a day of hard work followed by months of lazy youtube surfing :HideThePain:

edit 2:
it finished, but the number stayed the same. Not sure if it's because of 2 crashes.
Screenshot_2.png
I'll have to do another crunch session later today, with a different preset. Report to you tomorrow when it's done.

Last edited:

shakunimama

Feb 7, 2021
Im trying to crunch a rpg maker xp game. I shifted all the pngs to the game folder but the .bat file is not detecting any images. How do I fix this?

estrada777

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Mar 22, 2020
I have a question about the audio settings used. I just ran with highest compression setting and it seems to have set the audio bitrate to a fixed 48k. I've noticed that this is higher than many source audio files, so I wonder about the decision. Is this not attempting to upsample the audio in this case? Running V3.1c.