• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Jwats

Jan 10, 2018
So, I downloaded this a while back and sat on it since it was "complete". Today, I go into the folder to open it, and its update, and come here to be sure I'm installing it correctly, and see something about a "Golden" update file? But I think I'm still seeing 2 files to install, not one? (or is the old compressed files in two parts, and I need to wait to get that updated? I have a data limit, lame I know, but I live in the boonies)

How's it work now, delete the old ones, download both again, and that play-through will set me up for the next game? And this next game is the continuation of this story?

Reactions: ASLPro3D

ASLPro3D

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
So, I downloaded this a while back and sat on it since it was "complete". Today, I go into the folder to open it, and its update, and come here to be sure I'm installing it correctly, and see something about a "Golden" update file? But I think I'm still seeing 2 files to install, not one? (or is the old compressed files in two parts, and I need to wait to get that updated? I have a data limit, lame I know, but I live in the boonies)

How's it work now, delete the old ones, download both again, and that play-through will set me up for the next game? And this next game is the continuation of this story?
I am not sure what you are asking... there is only one file to download for PC, but there are two files for MAC that need to be downloaded 1.0 and version 1.1... as MAC has a different save location than a PC does in the file structure and the 1.1 version fixes that...

is there any thing thats need to be done to add "mac 1.1" to "1.0"?
Need to download 1.0, install it like normal... then unzip and copy the files from 1.1 into the folder you just created with 1.0... it should ask if you want to overwrite the files, say "YES" or "OK" and the game has then been updated to 1.1 and fixes the save file location for you and the next game.

Reactions: DA22 and Renaulto

SirPEEPEE

May 10, 2018
I am not sure what you are asking... there is only one file to download for PC, but there are two files for MAC that need to be downloaded 1.0 and version 1.1... as MAC has a different save location than a PC does in the file structure and the 1.1 version fixes that...

Need to download 1.0, install it like normal... then unzip and copy the files from 1.1 into the folder you just created with 1.0... it should ask if you want to overwrite the files, say "YES" or "OK" and the game has then been updated to 1.1 and fixes the save file location for you and the next game.
Just want to be sure, but is there only supposed to be one named "game vervsion"?

Reactions: ASLPro3D and DA22

Jwats

Jan 10, 2018
Ok, So, I guess I have to wait for the updated compressed version to be able to be compatible with the next game?

Thanks

ASLPro3D

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
Man I can't wait! Every time I see @ASLPro3D I am like : IS IT DONE YURI?
"No, Comrade Premier, it is has only just begun..." :LOL:

Oh man... Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2!!

The ONLY game that had me so frustrated that I yanked it out of my computer and flung it across the room, to watch the CD shatter into several pieces... in short, I was unable to complete that game! :mad:

Interesting note of reference, there is a point in Wicked Choices where I used the seventh music track from Command and Conquer: "On the Prowl" to write one of the scenes and actually considered trying to slip the music into the game, but decided against it, out of fear of getting busted for copyright infringement... but, hated the game, loved the music and video clips! :sneaky:

I wonder if anyone can guess what area that song was planned to be used... :unsure:

Just want to be sure, but is there only supposed to be one named "game vervsion"?
Ok, So, I guess I have to wait for the updated compressed version to be able to be compatible with the next game?

Thanks
The "Wicked Choices - Book One - BIG -" and "Wicked Choices - Book One - SMALL-" files are the "Gold Master" Release version... they are called "Gold Master" because that is the term that we use in the industry (my regular day job) as being the final release of the product... it will remain untouched, except to provide bug patches if needed.

You can download the version of your choice: "Big" (or full-sized) or "Small" (or compressed) versions by clicking on this link...

Hope that helps remove any confusion.

SirPEEPEE

May 10, 2018

The ONLY game that had me so frustrated that I yanked it out of my computer and flung it across the room, to watch the CD shatter into several pieces... in short, I was unable to complete that game! :mad:

Interesting note of reference, there is a point in Wicked Choices where I used the seventh music track from Command and Conquer: "On the Prowl" to write one of the scenes and actually considered trying to slip the music into the game, but decided against it, out of fear of getting busted for copyright infringement... but, hated the game, loved the music and video clips! :sneaky:

I wonder if anyone can guess what area that song was planned to be used... :unsure:

The "Wicked Choices - Book One - BIG -" and "Wicked Choices - Book One - SMALL-" files are the "Gold Master" Release version... they are called "Gold Master" because that is the term that we use in the industry (my regular day job) as being the final release of the product... it will remain untouched, except to provide bug patches if needed.

You can download the version of your choice: "Big" (or full-sized) or "Small" (or compressed) versions by clicking on this link...

Hope that helps remove any confusion.
So just want to clarify on my part, you are saying that both files are the same with the only difference is the size of the files, right?

ASLPro3D

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
So just want to clarify on my part, you are saying that both files are the same with the only difference is the size of the files, right?
That is correct... one is over 3gb in size (high resolution images) and the other is just shy of 1gb (compressed images, lower resolution).

Reactions: DA22

Forix

Apr 21, 2017

I wonder if anyone can guess what area that song was planned to be used... :unsure:.
He understood the reference! My god that game. I played so much of it! You know there's a "remaster" coming up eh?

Hum.. which section of chapter 1 you could have used that song.. Interesting. Feels to be a part with Janice...

ASLPro3D

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
He understood the reference! My god that game. I played so much of it! You know there's a "remaster" coming up eh?

Hum.. which section of chapter 1 you could have used that song.. Interesting. Feels to be a part with Janice...
No, didn't know they were talking about releasing a remaster of it... now I am VERY glad that I didn't use the music, didn't know they were still in business or sold off their property! :eek:

As for your guess, you are sort of close! ;)

Forix

Apr 21, 2017
No, didn't know they were talking about releasing a remaster of it... now I am VERY glad that I didn't use the music, didn't know they were still in business or sold off their property! :eek:
EA acquired their studios (during their evil years), and since RTS genra is kinda not selling well... well it died. However they announced in November a remaster of all the C&C (including Red Alert 2).

As for your guess, you are sort of close! ;)
So its related to Janice. Hum.
Is it when she is spying on Claire & the Anti Christ or the Revenge part... that would be my two guesses....

ASLPro3D

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
EA acquired their studios (during their evil years), and since RTS genra is kinda not selling well... well it died. However they announced in November a remaster of all the C&C (including Red Alert 2).
Yeah, I remember those years well... and, I think, taking BioWare recent woes into consideration, that those times are still around when it comes to EA.

I will be honest, my interest in RTS games faded really quickly after my "outburst" with the event that led up to me chucking my "Red Alert" disk across the room... it became quickly apparent to me, that that particular genre was really no better than playing chess with a computer that can calculate your moves and adapt to counter them faster than you can "Button Mash" and "zerging" your way across the map.

A computer game's move in an RTS is only as honest as the programmer is... the object to a game producer is to get players to spend more time playing their games and make it difficult to "beat"... so programmers key in cheats that a computer can use on any given map, based upon your strategy... in short, making the game a "click-fest" of hell that isn't fun to me, so I gave up and quit playing them.

So, though I find it interesting and it conjures nostalgic feelings in me, I won't likely buy the remastered versions, as nostalgia alone and the evil taint of money grubbing bankers in "gamer suits" isn't enough to get me to part with my hard earned money. ;)

The funny thing about getting old is realizing that nostalgia in its truest form, is dismissal and abstention of the shitty moments as you polish the turds of memory. :ROFLMAO:

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
LOL!!! Shouldn't have told me that... now I might NEVER get Chapter Two done! ;)
Well as you mentioned above for Red Alert, this game is from the nineties and still has the original game play and mechanics as in those days. Though it was groundbreaking in its time and the atmosphere has likely never been matched in the genre, it is a very old game by now. For those of us that played it when it was new and those who want to know why this game started a whole new genre and is considered an absolute classic, this is a great opportunity to play it. The last group might be disappointed though, not cause it is not a great game, but it is old even ancient by computer game terms and it shows in the mechanics and difficulty.

Sneakily chains Jack to a chair next to a computer that does not have Diablo I installed on it and has Gog.com blocked. :p:ROFLMAO::p

Reactions: ASLPro3D and c3p0

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
Yeah, I remember those years well... and, I think, taking BioWare recent woes into consideration, that those times are still around when it comes to EA.

I will be honest, my interest in RTS games faded really quickly after my "outburst" with the event that led up to me chucking my "Red Alert" disk across the room... it became quickly apparent to me, that that particular genre was really no better than playing chess with a computer that can calculate your moves and adapt to counter them faster than you can "Button Mash" and "zerging" your way across the map.

A computer game's move in an RTS is only as honest as the programmer is... the object to a game producer is to get players to spend more time playing their games and make it difficult to "beat"... so programmers key in cheats that a computer can use on any given map, based upon your strategy... in short, making the game a "click-fest" of hell that isn't fun to me, so I gave up and quit playing them.

So, though I find it interesting and it conjures nostalgic feelings in me, I won't likely buy the remastered versions, as nostalgia alone and the evil taint of money grubbing bankers in "gamer suits" isn't enough to get me to part with my hard earned money. ;)

The funny thing about getting old is realizing that nostalgia in its truest form, is dismissal and abstention of the shitty moments as you polish the turds of memory. :ROFLMAO:
When I was playing this game types, I would like to enjoy the moments I build my empire, before I have to destroy every enemy on my map to win. Usually the PC was killing me first, not short after I has set out to my quest...:D
Then I've change my attention to the city builder games;)

But before the internet was wide available the haven't had this insulting business idea to sell half finish beta version or have their beta access tied to buy the game in advance or even to have some ridiculous DLC that is available since day 0 of the game release and is an integral part of the main game......:mad:

If I would set the same scale from such a game on WC I'm sure I would nearly wet myself laughing::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
  • Lynara obvious would be a lock char, most likely with the whole story about her side
  • loading time would be about 3times greater
  • also obvious we would must install a virus *äh* rootkit *äh* copy protection system that requires always internet connection for *very* *impotent* reasons
  • of course each translation would also be a DLC
  • and we would have the game without proper grammar and to compensate it the erros would be much more
  • also the scene that was block before the gold master release would't be a bug, but another DLC
So I'm going to sleep workday today was hell, so please don't kill me in my sleep for my evil ideas:LOL::LOL::LOL:

And Jack, of course, @DA22 and I always have the chair (and the rope or chain) ready for an unrestricted working environment:oops:

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
Trust my experience EA is not as evil as it seems. Unpopular opinion, I know. But trust me ;) Bioware failures, especially Anthem, is all Bioware mistake. They had 8 years to ship it.

When making a product its always Money Spend on Product vs ROI. Video game don't escape that capitalist view!
I think Jack is thinking more of things like making Dragon Age an action adventure game instead of a CRPG and focusing on multiplayer, after EA took Bioware over, same happened with ME franchise instead of the great group dynamics and stories Bioware used to be known for in their long run of great games.

By the way how is Palanto doing? Been quite a while since I saw him around here or in other games on this forum.

4.30 star(s) 80 Votes