What is your favorite anime and why?

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
Monster takes the cake for me. 10/10

The best suspense/thriller in animation, PERIOD.

Unbelievably perfect. This complex and beautiful storyline unfolds over 74 incredible episodes, untangling the deepest philosophies and the loveliest intricacies of human life with every carefully constructed character and scene.

Getting ready for bed and want something which is easy to understand? Monster is the anime for you. It will have you on the edge of your seat and wondering what will happen to each of the characters as the story progresses. Please give this anime a go, you might find yourself hooked. Give it ago, who knows you might like it.
If we're talking traditional non-erotic/sex based anime... I grew up watching a lot of Japanimation (mostly sub-titled with original Japanese voices, best way to watch them in my opinion) when you could only find it in the US on VHS at the local Table Top Gaming Store, or at Gaming Conventions in the movie room on large format laser disc....

Princess Mononoke - Excellent story, animation, top notch voice acting
Bubblegum Crisis - Was some of the first Japanimation I ever watched, great story, a bit gruesome, but also fun
Bubblegum Crash - Same as Bubblegum Crisis
Akira - Great story, animation, dramatic
Metropolis - Saw this in a traditional old style movie theater near ASU, was a spectacular movie on the big screen, very emotional, heart wrenching
Vampire Hunter D - Action packed, complete bad ass protagonist

When I was in elementary school I also enjoyed Voltron (both the lion version and the multi-vehicle version) as well as Robotech... I even played the table top RPG of Robotech by Paladium Games(still have all the game books and expansion books, and I even have Robotech in individual story book format, and the story books are actually better then the animated series) in the late 80's early 90's...

I don't get much into the newer styles of Anime, as they seem too kid like (cutesy) in their visuals, even if they are designed for the adult crowd... It all started with the popularity of Dragon Ball Z and Pokémon in the US, back in the 90's, catering more towards a younger crowd, as it was about that time it felt like the anime industry was starting to sell out, and it become more about a money grab then high quality entertainment... I can't even get into the more modern Japanimation too much anymore, either... The stories move too quickly nowadays, almost as if made to be quick TV serials, rather then feature length or packed with story... I've tried watching some on Netflix, but none have ever peaked my interest...

WaifusAndSyrup

Game Developer
Mar 26, 2018
Durarara.

Just the intertwining stories of all the characters as well as the progression in events kept my hooked throughout.

baneini

Jun 28, 2017
More like Borester.

One Punch Man combines ONE's humour with fantastic animation quality and great soundtrack. It has themes everyone can relate to and breaks your expectations.

Ping Pong is Yuasa's only good anime. The animation is super expressive for movement and emotions of the characters who have layers of depth to them are are generally very interesting. Every episode feels necessary. The OST is fantastic.

Made in Abyss has a truly unique setting, the characters have a clear goal they need to achieve. The OST is outstanding, Kevin Penkin is the best Australian. Some really neat scenes that are emotional and the ending montage is noteworthy on its own. Nanachi is cute.

DestroXPussy

Dec 10, 2017
Code Geass- cos why not??

Death Note- for L scenes and Light is hilarious to watch every time he monologues

Overlord and One Punch Man- something that you would like to watch after a shitty day at customer service

Attack on Titan- Binge watch or not at all. The individual episode sucks but if you watch it as if it was a movie it's swag af

Cowboy Bebop- Hell yeah. This is my first anime and by far the most noir anime I watched

Studio Ghibli and Madhouse movies and OVA's- If you never watch any of the OVA's and movies from these 2 companies then it is safe to say you never watch anime before.

Hellsing Ultimate- Father Anderson, nuff said.

Gundam series (especially from SEED, 00, Char's counterattack, ZZ, Iron Blooded Orphans, Wing and G Gundam)

Ultralazuli

Jul 8, 2018
Samurai Champloo. I'm a big music fanatic, and sengoku era fanatic, so this hit me really hard when it came on Adult Swim.
It's only an anime, no manga associated with it or predating it, so Watanabe was able to create something really magical.

But aside from the excellent animation, musical and hip hop style, and engrossing storyline, it's basically Sengoku Era Cowboy Bebop in a few ways.

After that is Bleach, Hinamatsuri, Black Lagoon, Elfen Lied, Killing Bites, Gintama, DBZ/GT/S, Monster Musume No Iru Nichijou, Go-Tobun No Hanayome

in that order.

Reactions: Namco15

megaplayboy10k

Apr 16, 2018
High School DxD. Plus a ton of action harem anime.
I'm a bit surprised that there are not more mentions of harem anime on a board where harem h games are popular.
I like DBZ and a ton of other anime, but the harem stuff seems most relevant to the forum. :)

Reactions: Namco15

lukazil

Oct 30, 2017
Ghost in the Shell SAC was what dragged me into anime, I'd wake up at 3 am so I could watch it on Toonami before I'd have to go to school. I loved the story, and the question of what defines your humanity.

Agent HK47

Mar 3, 2018
Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin

This was the first ever real anime I watched as a kid, and it has remained my favourite ever since. I love themes in this series so much. Selflessness, friendship, honor and teamwork. It also has a kickass soundtrack. Everyone would be able to learn something from watching this anime.

nZk

「」
Donor
Dec 13, 2016
Miru Tights

The pinnacle of anime and this is it, it can't get any better than this. This anime has everything from the non-existent plot to the amazing shot angles and ankles. 10/10 would finish in under 5 minutes again.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
Not really all into anime these days. But way back I thought Star Blazers, or I guess the Japanese title of it was Battleship Yamato, was fun.

Was kinda fun watching the movie adaption many years later though. Even it was a bit well over the top...

Think there is a full version of the movie on youtube with English subtitles too.

Evil Dr Porkchop

Brought to you by expensive technology
Donor
May 16, 2019
Squid Girl
Gate Jieitai Kanochi nite Kaku Tatakaeri the scene out of Apocalypse Now was funny as
Kono Suba
Arpeggio of Blue Steel Ars Nova
Freezing

Fantabaldu

The Pirate King
Donor
Feb 19, 2019
Some titles of old Anime , remembering some nice memory when i was really young ; just 5 titles from a possible infinity list :

Captain Tsubasa
Steel Jeeg
Lamù
Hokuto no Ken
Capitan Harlock

Last edited: