Tutorial RPGM Ways To Run RPGM Games On Mac

PBS666

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2019
ok I reinstalled nwjs to try again and now it just says it quit unexpectedly instantly as soon as I try to open it.
We're running a bit in circles here. At the moment I'm not at my mac, but if you can give me the following information I'll have a closer look at it later on the day.

Which game are you trying to run ?
Which version of nwjs did you download, and from where ?
What version of MacOS are you on ?
What Mac model (Intel or Apple silicon processor?) ?

Lionbro32

Jun 30, 2023
We're running a bit in circles here. At the moment I'm not at my mac, but if you can give me the following information I'll have a closer look at it later on the day.

Which game are you trying to run ?
Which version of nwjs did you download, and from where ?
What version of MacOS are you on ?
What Mac model (Intel or Apple silicon processor?) ?
I was trying to play scars of summer on macos ventura 13.5. I downloaded nwjs 0.80.0 mac osx 64 bit from nwjs.io. I have an apple silicon processor. I think that running it on an earlier version of nwjs works but for some reason 0.80 doesn’t
edit: just tried 0.79.0 too and it doesn’t work but 0.51.1 does so…

PBS666

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2019
I was trying to play scars of summer on macos ventura 13.5. I downloaded nwjs 0.80.0 mac osx 64 bit from nwjs.io. I have an apple silicon processor. I think that running it on an earlier version of nwjs works but for some reason 0.80 doesn’t
edit: just tried 0.79.0 too and it doesn’t work but 0.51.1 does so…
That's might be the case. Did you check which version the game was made with ?
to find the exact version of the game engine, if you want to port it in linux or mac without upgrading, open with a text editor the file "rpgcore.js" inside "www\js\" and search for the string "Utils.RPGMAKER_VERSION =" .

Lionbro32

Jun 30, 2023
That's might be the case. Did you check which version the game was made with ?
to find the exact version of the game engine, if you want to port it in linux or mac without upgrading, open with a text editor the file "rpgcore.js" inside "www\js\" and search for the string "Utils.RPGMAKER_VERSION =" .
yeah that said 1.6.1.

PBS666

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2019
yeah that said 1.6.1.
Then I would advice to download that version and try with that. It works with Montery, so probably with Ventura too.
1.6.1 correspondents with v.029
After unzipping, best check for quarantine again before putting in the app.nw folder.

PBS666

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2019
yeah that said 1.6.1.
Then I would advice to download that version and try with that. It works with Montery, so probably with Ventura too.
1.6.1 correspondents with v.029
After unzipping, best check for quarantine again before putting in the app.nw folder.
I tested it with nwjs v.0.29 and it works under Montery. Crashed a few times at start up first, but I'm not surprised by that when it comes to RPGM games. Save often once you got it running.

Lionbro32

Jun 30, 2023
I tested it with nwjs v.0.29 and it works under Montery. Crashed a few times at start up first, but I'm not surprised by that when it comes to RPGM games. Save often once you got it running.
Ok, its been working recently. Thank you so so much for sticking with me and all the help, your'e a lifesaver.

Reactions: cpius and PBS666

iamcharlie

Apr 9, 2020
It's shows me this error after edit the package . "

Downloads/nwjs-v0.70.0-osx-x64 2/nwjs.app/Contents/Resources/app.nw. Manifest is not valid JSON. Line: 3, column: 19, Syntax error.

"

Also before the package.json file the file looked like below..
Screenshot 2023-12-04 at 5.25.17 AM.png

PBS666

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2019
It's shows me this error after edit the package . "

Downloads/nwjs-v0.70.0-osx-x64 2/nwjs.app/Contents/Resources/app.nw. Manifest is not valid JSON. Line: 3, column: 19, Syntax error.

"

Also before the package.json file the file looked like below..
View attachment 3142961
If you see the grey screen, that means the nwjs.app is running, so there's that.
You're using nwjs 0.70 apparantly. Any reason you're using that version ?
Also, you might want to clean up your mailbox :p

josnigonza

Mar 1, 2021
Greetings everyone. I've been using an app called CrossOver, which is a wine-based emulator for pc, and works for both Mac and Linux. The great majority of games, even from steam, have been working great using it. It's a paid app, but it can be downloaded on other webs

Reactions: PBS666

snof

Sep 22, 2017
nwjs can't open, it says app is damaged and can't open. although I changed perms of everything I think

snof

Sep 22, 2017
oh i installed different version, now opened but now it can't open rpgmv files inside www folder

snof

Sep 22, 2017
Permissions is one thing, but did you check for quarantine as well? Far more common with the latest MacOS.
See this post: https://f95zone.to/threads/ways-to-run-rpgm-games-on-mac.6056/post-11757266

Also, I recommend using the same version of RPGM as the one the game was made with.
It fixed when I used 0.29 instead of 83, but now I had to use x64 instead of arm version.

And now I have different problem, assets are in rpgmv format in game, and nw looks for png file.

1707041675614.png

PBS666

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2019
It fixed when I used 0.29 instead of 83, but now I had to use x64 instead of arm version.

And now I have different problem, assets are in rpgmv format in game, and nw looks for png file.

View attachment 3324971
FWIW, the game runs smooth under Mojave on my Intel iMac, using nwjs 0.29. On my M1 MBP running Monterey, not so much. Either black screen with or without error message, or a crash. You might have more luck trying this with Wine/Crossover.

snof

Sep 22, 2017
FWIW, the game runs smooth under Mojave on my Intel iMac, using nwjs 0.29. On my M1 MBP running Monterey, not so much. Either black screen with or without error message, or a crash. You might have more luck trying this with Wine/Crossover.
Oh, It doesn't work with CrossOver, it works with VMware though

snof

Sep 22, 2017
Lol if game won't crash I think I figured out, if I use 0.84 nwjs arm version instead, it works quite well

goldosan

Mar 31, 2019
Hey

Hey! I'm having a 'nwjs quit unexpectedly' problem when running the game Goblin Layer on my M1 Ventura 13.5
Do you think it's a permissions issue?

PBS666

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2019
Hey

Hey! I'm having a 'nwjs quit unexpectedly' problem when running the game Goblin Layer on my M1 Ventura 13.5
Do you think it's a permissions issue?
Probably not. If the execute permission was missing the game would not even start.
If you get errors when trying to save settings or your progress, the app is quarantined.
If it just crashes, well, it's probably because the nwjs engine the game is build with is incompatible with Apple Silicon and or the latest MacOS.
You might want to check the posts up higher on this page.

Did some testing. On my Intel iMac (Mojave) the game runs fine. On my M1 MBP (Monterey) it just crashes.

Last edited: