Tutorial RPGM Ways To Run RPGM Games On Mac

markmaso

Jun 2, 2017
hi guys.its awesome you’ve found ways to run Ren’py windows versions on a mac eith the ren’py SDK.is there a similar way to run RPGM adult games on mac aswell.i know there is winewine but it seems super complicated(im basically afraid i will mess things up)

Bip

Donor
May 4, 2017
There is a possibility for non MV RPGM. There is a .
For RPGM MV there is also a possibility, but I don't know how to.

But the best way is to use a VMWare / Parallel /virtualBox virtualization.
I've installed a virtualized and very light Windows 7 (with VMWare), without internet connection, and it's really perfect. I play all the games this way (RPGM, Ren'Py, Unity...) and it helps not to be the mess in the Mac (mid-2012 MacBook Pro).

Reactions: vnvnvn and markmaso

markmaso

Jun 2, 2017
There is a possibility for non MV RPGM. There is a .
For RPGM MV there is also a possibility, but I don't know how to.

But the best way is to use a VMWare / Parallel /virtualBox virtualization.
I've installed a virtualized and very light Windows 7 (with VMWare), without internet connection, and it's really perfect. I play all the games this way (RPGM, Ren'Py, Unity...) and it helps not to be the mess in the Mac (mid-2012 MacBook Pro).
yeah i also have a virtual machine but he last days ive been having freezes on RPGM games when it has to load well...even the pictures.i looked at the troubleshoot thread they say it happens to some people so im looking for alternatives

MrBree

Jun 9, 2017
I'm a Mac user who has been playing around quite a bit with RPGM games. The honest answer to your question is: it depends.
What version of RPG Maker are you using?

RPG Maker MV is Mac compatible. The game engine itself works on the mac (buy from Steam), and can build very cross-platform games. To the extent that you can easily convert PC versions to a Mac version.
I've been half-way thinking of providing a tutorial for this on the forums. It isn't hard at all.

RPG Maker VX, VX ace and below are all PC only. I've been using Wine to run these games. While Wine *IS* a command line tool which can be confusing, there are GUI tools which make it way easier to use. Not exactly foolproof but somewhat much more on the level of click it and run. The two I tend to use are either or . The RPGHub thing from the youtube video is basically a GUI for Wine as well. One catch though -- Wine is actually broken on High Sierra. You need to or it will fail.

Given that you are talking about a virtual machine I assume this isn't your problem. Can you tell us what you are using exactly? Quite often the problem is NOT with the game itself, it's with the VM and/or how the VM is set up. This can often be due to incompatibility issues (as with the wine example). The VM is simply not set up in a way that your mac understands.
To be clear -- the freezes you talk about really shouldn't be happening with RPGM games. RPGM has very low needs, and a VM should be able to handle it easily. Except in two situations:
  • The before mentioned issue of VM incompatibilities -- i.e. you are doing it wrong. Not a problem with the game or engine. Fix the VM and you are fine.
  • Or the game is just broken in the first place. RPGMaker is easy to use. Leading to lots of broken games from people who are over their head.
If you can give us more specifics as to exactly what you are doing and what is happening then perhaps I can give you better answers?

Reactions: vnvnvn

markmaso

Jun 2, 2017
I'm a Mac user who has been playing around quite a bit with RPGM games. The honest answer to your question is: it depends.
What version of RPG Maker are you using?

RPG Maker MV is Mac compatible. The game engine itself works on the mac (buy from Steam), and can build very cross-platform games. To the extent that you can easily convert PC versions to a Mac version.
I've been half-way thinking of providing a tutorial for this on the forums. It isn't hard at all.

RPG Maker VX, VX ace and below are all PC only. I've been using Wine to run these games. While Wine *IS* a command line tool which can be confusing, there are GUI tools which make it way easier to use. Not exactly foolproof but somewhat much more on the level of click it and run. The two I tend to use are either or . The RPGHub thing from the youtube video is basically a GUI for Wine as well. One catch though -- Wine is actually broken on High Sierra. You need to or it will fail.

Given that you are talking about a virtual machine I assume this isn't your problem. Can you tell us what you are using exactly? Quite often the problem is NOT with the game itself, it's with the VM and/or how the VM is set up. This can often be due to incompatibility issues (as with the wine example). The VM is simply not set up in a way that your mac understands.
To be clear -- the freezes you talk about really shouldn't be happening with RPGM games. RPGM has very low needs, and a VM should be able to handle it easily. Except in two situations:
  • The before mentioned issue of VM incompatibilities -- i.e. you are doing it wrong. Not a problem with the game or engine. Fix the VM and you are fine.
  • Or the game is just broken in the first place. RPGMaker is easy to use. Leading to lots of broken games from people who are over their head.
If you can give us more specifics as to exactly what you are doing and what is happening then perhaps I can give you better answers?
hey mate thanks for the long post.id mich rather fix the VM.it started happening last week and also on a game that used to run normally.dont know why.im running parallers deksktop 11 with windows 10.i ve got 16 gb of ram and an ssd on the imac so i dont know why its happening.

Last edited:

MrBree

Jun 9, 2017
hey mate thanks for the long post.id mich rather fix the VM.it started happening last week and also on a game that used to run normally.dont know why.im running parallers deksktop 11 with windows 10.i ve got 16 gb of ram and an ssd on the imac so i dont know why its happening.
Check the settings within Parrallels. Should have settings for Ram and Graphics which should be at a reasonable amount. Possibly also graphics drivers (ie DirectX) could need to be updated.
But since this is a VM issue, it doesn't really need to be here anymore. =( Go ahead and check out Parallel support if need be.
I would actually suggest that you try something else -- perhaps try Wineskin to see you can get the games to work.
It is always good to have a secondary solution on hand in case the first one goes south as it has here.

Reactions: markmaso

gusxxx

Nov 28, 2017
How did you get a light version of Windows 7??? That's exactly what I wanted, I installed both XP 32 and 64 bits but most games don't work. Wanted to try with Windows 7 but don't have much space left in my HD.

Bip

Donor
May 4, 2017
@gusxxx I did it with from a standard ISO.
I removed a bunch of shit and lots of useless things, added 7-zip, notepad++, and RPGM runtimes. Installed with latest .NET and C++ redistribuables, the weight is around 6-7 GB.

gusxxx

Nov 28, 2017
@gusxxx I did it with from a standard ISO.
I removed a bunch of shit and lots of useless things, added 7-zip, notepad++, and RPGM runtimes. Installed with latest .NET and C++ redistribuables, the weight is around 6-7 GB.
Thanks! 6 GB is manageable, I will give this a try.

Garnet X

Jun 7, 2017
I've been doing this for all RPGM MV games I've downloaded and mention in this , but here it is step by step:

1. Look for your RPGM MV game base for your game in here and download it:
https://f95zone.to/threads/rpg-maker-mv-engine-all-versions.32358/

2. From the Window's RPGM MV version of the game you downloaded, there is a folder called 'www' rename it to 'app.nw'.

3. Right click the game base, Show Package Contents, and browse to Contents > Resources.

4. Move and replace the old app.nw with your game's app.nw (renamed from www).
Game.app/Contents/Resources/app.nw

5. (Optional) your www may have already included a package.json, if not you can move the package.json from the directory before.
Open package.json in a text editor and edit these lines:
"main": "www/index.html", to "main": "index.html",
"icon": "www/icon/icon.png" to "icon": "icon/icon.png"

6. And you're done! Rename the app to whatever you want, for example 'Coceter Chronicies v.12b.app'.

Sometimes the game may not open so you may have to do this: (it's mostly fixed in new engines)
Code:
start up Terminal, go to the folder the Game file is in (named CoceterChronicles by default), and enter these commands:

Code:
chmod +x Game.app/Contents/MacOS/nwjs
chmod +x Game.app/Contents/Frameworks/nwjs\ Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/nwjs\ Helper
chmod +x Game.app/Contents/Frameworks/nwjs\ Helper\ EH.app/Contents/MacOS/nwjs\ Helper\ EH
chmod +x Game.app/Contents/Frameworks/nwjs\ Helper\ NP.app/Contents/MacOS/nwjs\ Helper\ NP
ref Fenoxo forums:
(RIP CoC)

RPGM MV PC to Mac.png

Last edited:

Garnet X

Jun 7, 2017
For RPGM games that are not RPGM MV games, I've been using wineskin or PlayonMac, and it works fine.

You can try MKXP , but it may not work with all games.

markmaso

Jun 2, 2017
thanks guys.i managed to get wine to work almost perfectly.turns out i was having trouble in the past with wine cause i had downloaded old or shitty versions.i can run my shit pronto now:happyblush:eazyHype:

gusxxx

Nov 28, 2017
For RPGM games that are not RPGM MV games, I've been using wineskin or PlayonMac, and it works fine.

You can try MKXP , but it may not work with all games.
Thanks for the tips, converting to a mac app is way less taxing on my MBP than playing with a virtual machine, the fan doesn't spin and sound like a helicopter anymore.

One question tho, I found that some games (that are RPGM) don't have a www folder inside them. Is that an older version of RPGM? Packaged differently? I tried creating the app.nw folder and putting inside all the data, graphic, audio etc and the .json file inside but didn't work.

8mes

Aug 24, 2016
One question tho, I found that some games (that are RPGM) don't have a www folder inside them. Is that an older version of RPGM? Packaged differently? I tried creating the app.nw folder and putting inside all the data, graphic, audio etc and the .json file inside but didn't work.
Some MV games are packed in to one exe file. Check these two threads.

XP, VX ACE don't have a www folder.

Reactions: Cirro84

Garnet X

Jun 7, 2017
I've only have experience playing The Last Demonhunter on Wineskin, and Lustdolls on PlayOnMac. Can't treat other RPGM games like RPGM MV(which you can also play index.html in some browsers, but saves would be control by the browser location wise..), since those are using a different system? and are Windows only. You can't make a mac version the same way you can for RPGM MV. The only closest thing is MKXV, but it doesn't work when I tried it with the above two games.

Inverse

Mar 1, 2018
hi All, I'm wondering if there's a way to get RGPM games to run under linux? I know with RenPY games, you can launch the python script directly instead of the .exe launcer, I'm wondering if something similar applies here.

cellsase

Jul 31, 2017
hi All, I'm wondering if there's a way to get RGPM games to run under linux? I know with RenPY games, you can launch the python script directly instead of the .exe launcer, I'm wondering if something similar applies here.
I think your best bet would be to run it either via virtualization or wine. I prefer wine myself - it's much faster to setup and generally runs as fast as a native application, plus you don't need to bog down the computer with running windows.

FauxCount

Aug 27, 2017
I've been doing this for all RPGM MV games I've downloaded and mention in this , but here it is step by step:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Some games which I do this to have a "read only" error with a long file path that I don't recognize. Is there a solution to this?