Tutorial RPGM Ways To Run RPGM Games On Mac

mspman

Jul 6, 2017
I've been doing this for all RPGM MV games I've downloaded and mention in this , but here it is step by step:

1. Look for your RPGM MV game base for your game in here and download it:
https://f95zone.to/threads/rpg-maker-mv-engine-all-versions.32358/

2. From the Window's RPGM MV version of the game you downloaded, there is a folder called 'www' rename it to 'app.nw'.

3. Right click the game base, Show Package Contents, and browse to Contents > Resources.

4. Move and replace the old app.nw with your game's app.nw (renamed from www).
Game.app/Contents/Resources/app.nw

5. (Optional) your www may have already included a package.json, if not you can move the package.json from the directory before.
Open package.json in a text editor and edit these lines:
"main": "www/index.html", to "main": "index.html",
"icon": "www/icon/icon.png" to "icon": "icon/icon.png"

6. And you're done! Rename the app to whatever you want, for example 'Coceter Chronicies v.12b.app'.

Sometimes the game may not open so you may have to do this: (it's mostly fixed in new engines)
Code:
start up Terminal, go to the folder the Game file is in (named CoceterChronicles by default), and enter these commands:

Code:
chmod +x Game.app/Contents/MacOS/nwjs
chmod +x Game.app/Contents/Frameworks/nwjs\ Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/nwjs\ Helper
chmod +x Game.app/Contents/Frameworks/nwjs\ Helper\ EH.app/Contents/MacOS/nwjs\ Helper\ EH
chmod +x Game.app/Contents/Frameworks/nwjs\ Helper\ NP.app/Contents/MacOS/nwjs\ Helper\ NP
ref Fenoxo forums:
(RIP CoC)

View attachment 54633

Hi,
you posted this awhile back and I have used it many times. However either the RGPM has gone up a version or on the mac side Catalina is not liking the old base file. Either way attempt at conversions now don't work. The app crashes. Have you seen any updates like this?
thanks

Garnet X

Jun 7, 2017
Idk, I have an older mac so I'm not on Catalina.

You can try updating your game base: https://f95zone.to/threads/rpg-maker-mv-engine-all-versions.32358/ or you can download a 64bit version from NWjs

but it seems like the dev need to sign files, and get it notarized

The issue:

Reactions: SuperMaxo

mspman

Jul 6, 2017
Idk, I have an older mac so I'm not on Catalina.

You can try updating your game base: https://f95zone.to/threads/rpg-maker-mv-engine-all-versions.32358/ or you can download a 64bit version from NWjs

but it seems like the dev need to sign files, and get it notarized

The issue:

Hey that worked. It had not occurred to me to get the latest app.nw stuff. I d/l the 'normal' one nwjs-v0.42.3-osx-x64
and just did the same stuff as the old fix, and it worked.
Thanks for the information.
For future I am looking at maybe a boot camp fix, just might make the whole thing easier.
Thanks again.

Garnet X

Jun 7, 2017
mspman
Glad that works for you, other reason folks should update the nwjs is cus rpgmaker doesn't include the devtools in theirs, but the sdk should have it. (Although newer version may break the game's UI)

Last edited:

frodoneo

Dec 30, 2018
Why does every time I run a RPGM game on Mac, Both native on Mac or using Windows on Mac like Parallels, it takes up so much of CPU usage? All the fans start spinning. I mean the game is not even that graphics intensive. Its like a Mario level visual effects. Why does it take all the CPU? Does the same thing happen on windows too? If not how to runs RPGM games smoothly on Mac?

mspman

Jul 6, 2017
Converting RGPM PC to RGPM Mac games . a new problem. I have done the nw.app switcharoo for a lot of games. Now I have os 10.15 a convereted game fails on a mkdir '/save/' commad. it used to be you just put the app in the applicatioins direcotry run it there and it could then create save files. Now it apperently cannot. I think Apple is tighting up the places where a new file can be created by an app. I do not know exactly where this is trying to create the folder at. I tried to create a /save directory and chmod it but no go.
any ideas?

JokingSnapple

Aug 28, 2016
I've been doing this for all RPGM MV games I've downloaded and mention in this , but here it is step by step:

1. Look for your RPGM MV game base for your game in here and download it:
https://f95zone.to/threads/rpg-maker-mv-engine-all-versions.32358/

2. From the Window's RPGM MV version of the game you downloaded, there is a folder called 'www' rename it to 'app.nw'.

3. Right click the game base, Show Package Contents, and browse to Contents > Resources.

4. Move and replace the old app.nw with your game's app.nw (renamed from www).
Game.app/Contents/Resources/app.nw

5. (Optional) your www may have already included a package.json, if not you can move the package.json from the directory before.
Open package.json in a text editor and edit these lines:
"main": "www/index.html", to "main": "index.html",
"icon": "www/icon/icon.png" to "icon": "icon/icon.png"

6. And you're done! Rename the app to whatever you want, for example 'Coceter Chronicies v.12b.app'.

Sometimes the game may not open so you may have to do this: (it's mostly fixed in new engines)
Code:
start up Terminal, go to the folder the Game file is in (named CoceterChronicles by default), and enter these commands:

Code:
chmod +x Game.app/Contents/MacOS/nwjs
chmod +x Game.app/Contents/Frameworks/nwjs\ Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/nwjs\ Helper
chmod +x Game.app/Contents/Frameworks/nwjs\ Helper\ EH.app/Contents/MacOS/nwjs\ Helper\ EH
chmod +x Game.app/Contents/Frameworks/nwjs\ Helper\ NP.app/Contents/MacOS/nwjs\ Helper\ NP
ref Fenoxo forums:
(RIP CoC)

View attachment 54633
hey, so this worked great and my game started and everything, but is there any reason as to why it wont let me save my progress in the game?

Reactions: ubermak

Garnet X

Jun 7, 2017
hey, so this worked great and my game started and everything, but is there any reason as to why it wont let me save my progress in the game?
That really depends on the game itself, most games lets you save anytime and some you have to find a save spot. Try looking at in plugins.js...

PBS666

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2019
If you get an error along the lines of EROFS, read-only filesystem ,mkdir etc... when trying to save your progress or changing the options, do this to get around this:
Go inside the package contents of the game app and look for the file nwjs (inside the folder MacOS). Opening this file will start a Terminal window which will then start the game. Now saving won't get this error. Hope this helps.

Edit: the cause of this is because the game app is quarantined. You can remove the quarantine in Terminal with xattr -d com.apple.quarantine (path to app)

Last edited:

cellsase

Jul 31, 2017
If you get an error along the lines of EROFS, read-only filesystem ,mkdir etc... when trying to save your progress or changing the options, do this to get around this:
Go inside the package contents of the game app and look for the file nwjs (inside the folder MacOS). Opening this file will start a Terminal window which will then start the game. Now saving won't get this error. Hope this helps.
Thank you thank you thank you! I wonder what the permissions problem is. In windows, I'd probably just use 'run as administrator', but I suppose it's not as simple on MacOS.

anomkarsa

Jan 8, 2020
Garnet X Hi, is there a way to tell if an RPGM game is MV or not without downloading the game to check if it has a www folder like someone mentioned on this thread? I'm guessing not but i just wanted to check before i started downloading and deleting games to check.

Sorry for the hassle.

Garnet X

Jun 7, 2017
Garnet X Hi, is there a way to tell if an RPGM game is MV or not without downloading the game to check if it has a www folder like someone mentioned on this thread? I'm guessing not but i just wanted to check before i started downloading and deleting games to check.

Sorry for the hassle.
Nope, unless they have it in folder and not a zip mega. you can try to find more info about the game if it's mv or vx ace and what not. you could play those games on play on mac/wineskin.

Reactions: anomkarsa

memoryman

Nov 10, 2019
Hi there, did everything in the instructions and I'm stuck with a "Verifying "Game.app"" box that never completes, any idea what could be the issue?

Matthewl115

May 31, 2021
Hi, I cant seem to get this method to work for Succumate or Summer Memories. It just says "The application 'Game' cant be opened'

PBS666

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2019
Hi, I cant seem to get this method to work for Succumate or Summer Memories. It just says "The application 'Game' cant be opened'
Do this: right click on game app, show package contents, navigate to /contents/MacOs and doubleclick the file called njws. What happens when you do that ?