Tutorial RPGM Ways To Run RPGM Games On Mac

Otta54

May 1, 2021
There is a possibility for non MV RPGM. There is a .
For RPGM MV there is also a possibility, but I don't know how to.

But the best way is to use a VMWare / Parallel /virtualBox virtualization.
I've installed a virtualized and very light Windows 7 (with VMWare), without internet connection, and it's really perfect. I play all the games this way (RPGM, Ren'Py, Unity...) and it helps not to be the mess in the Mac (mid-2012 MacBook Pro).
i know you posted this forever ago but is there a tutorial on how to set up virtualbox like that. or have you found a better way to do this?

Bip

Donor
May 4, 2017
i know you posted this forever ago but is there a tutorial on how to set up virtualbox like that. or have you found a better way to do this?
I would say, there's no better way :D Actually, it depends on your computer and the OS you use.

With new OSes that refuse 32-bit apps and M1 chips that prevent the virtualization of a "classic" Windows or the use of BootCamp, it becomes quite complicated.
And when I saw that my next computer should have an AMD graphics card, an M1 chip, a notch on the screen and that it would be even more difficult than before to install unapproved apps, I took a PC... Yep, I know, I'm not a gamer :ROFLMAO:

So, back to your question.
virtualization or bootcamp, if you have an Intel CPU. I don't have a tutorial to recommend, but there must be plenty on youtube. Once you have chosen which engine to use (VMWare/Parallel/...), you just need an iso image of Windows.
XP is really too old, I found that Windows 7 x64 works well, without being too heavy.

As effective alternatives, for RPGM MV I found that RPG Maker MV v1.62 Linux Mac and Windows works pretty well. The explanations are more complicated than the work to be done :ROFLMAO: But if you need to unpack and/or decrypt the game, I think you'll have to go through Windows to do it...

For Renpy, the best an easier way is How To Create A 'Mac' Version Of Any Ren'Py Game. One of the advantages is that you can run (almost) all the old 32-bit games (Renpy 7.3.5 and earlier) in 64-bit (Renpy 7.4.0 and later).

But all this was valid 2 years ago, on a Macbook Pro superdrive under Mojave (10.14). Now it's a mystery, especially with these M1 chips.

Otta54

May 1, 2021
I would say, there's no better way :D Actually, it depends on your computer and the OS you use.

With new OSes that refuse 32-bit apps and M1 chips that prevent the virtualization of a "classic" Windows or the use of BootCamp, it becomes quite complicated.
And when I saw that my next computer should have an AMD graphics card, an M1 chip, a notch on the screen and that it would be even more difficult than before to install unapproved apps, I took a PC... Yep, I know, I'm not a gamer :ROFLMAO:

So, back to your question.
virtualization or bootcamp, if you have an Intel CPU. I don't have a tutorial to recommend, but there must be plenty on youtube. Once you have chosen which engine to use (VMWare/Parallel/...), you just need an iso image of Windows.
XP is really too old, I found that Windows 7 x64 works well, without being too heavy.

As effective alternatives, for RPGM MV I found that RPG Maker MV v1.62 Linux Mac and Windows works pretty well. The explanations are more complicated than the work to be done :ROFLMAO: But if you need to unpack and/or decrypt the game, I think you'll have to go through Windows to do it...

For Renpy, the best an easier way is How To Create A 'Mac' Version Of Any Ren'Py Game. One of the advantages is that you can run (almost) all the old 32-bit games (Renpy 7.3.5 and earlier) in 64-bit (Renpy 7.4.0 and later).

But all this was valid 2 years ago, on a Macbook Pro superdrive under Mojave (10.14). Now it's a mystery, especially with these M1 chips.
thank you!

bestfriends

Nov 21, 2016
hi, i just can't make rpgm games run when the package.json file is outside of the www folder, could anyone help me?

PBS666

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2019
thanks for the reply, this one for example

View attachment 2432339
the folder looks like this, the package.json file isn't in the www folder, and including it in it before putting it in the nwjs app doesn't work
This is easy to fix. After copying the package.json file to the www folder, open it with Textedit and change the next two lines:
"main": "www/index.html" should become "main": "index.html" and
"icon": "www/icon/icon.png" should become "icon": "icon/icon.png"
In other words, remove both instances of www/ in the json file and save. Nwjs will now look in the right places when reading the package.json file.
(All credit for this fix should to Garnet X for his post here: https://f95zone.to/threads/ways-to-run-rpgm-games-on-mac.6056/post-402335)

Reactions: bestfriends

bestfriends

Nov 21, 2016
This is easy to fix. After copying the package.json file to the www folder, open it with Textedit and change the next two lines:
"main": "www/index.html" should become "main": "index.html" and
"icon": "www/icon/icon.png" should become "icon": "icon/icon.png"
In other words, remove both instances of www/ in the json file and save. Nwjs will now look in the right places when reading the package.json file.
(All credit for this fix should to Garnet X for his post here: https://f95zone.to/threads/ways-to-run-rpgm-games-on-mac.6056/post-402335)
you're a lifesaver, thanks

Reactions: PBS666

Lionbro32

Jun 30, 2023
I've been doing this for all RPGM MV games I've downloaded and mention in this , but here it is step by step:

1. Look for your RPGM MV game base for your game in here and download it:
https://f95zone.to/threads/rpg-maker-mv-engine-all-versions.32358/

2. From the Window's RPGM MV version of the game you downloaded, there is a folder called 'www' rename it to 'app.nw'.

3. Right click the game base, Show Package Contents, and browse to Contents > Resources.

4. Move and replace the old app.nw with your game's app.nw (renamed from www).
Game.app/Contents/Resources/app.nw

5. (Optional) your www may have already included a package.json, if not you can move the package.json from the directory before.
Open package.json in a text editor and edit these lines:
"main": "www/index.html", to "main": "index.html",
"icon": "www/icon/icon.png" to "icon": "icon/icon.png"

6. And you're done! Rename the app to whatever you want, for example 'Coceter Chronicies v.12b.app'.

Sometimes the game may not open so you may have to do this: (it's mostly fixed in new engines)
Code:
start up Terminal, go to the folder the Game file is in (named CoceterChronicles by default), and enter these commands:

Code:
chmod +x Game.app/Contents/MacOS/nwjs
chmod +x Game.app/Contents/Frameworks/nwjs\ Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/nwjs\ Helper
chmod +x Game.app/Contents/Frameworks/nwjs\ Helper\ EH.app/Contents/MacOS/nwjs\ Helper\ EH
chmod +x Game.app/Contents/Frameworks/nwjs\ Helper\ NP.app/Contents/MacOS/nwjs\ Helper\ NP
ref Fenoxo forums:
(RIP CoC)

View attachment 54633
what is the "game base" that you mention? I'm guessing it's not the game.exe because the show package contents option isn't there when I right click.

PBS666

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2019
what is the "game base" that you mention? I'm guessing it's not the game.exe because the show package contents option isn't there when I right click.
The game base is the nwjs app you downloaded in the first step.

PBS666

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2019
It doesn’t run, it just says that it is damaged and should be moved to trash.
Two common problems that may arise on Mac are these:
  • the app is quarantined by Gatekeeper because its from an unknown developer;
  • the executable inside the app might have lost its execute permission during unzipping
To check quarantine, start Terminal and type "xattr " without the quotes at the prompt and drag the problematic app into the Terminal window. Terminal will fill out the path for you. Mind there is a space between the command and said path. Hit enter. If you see com.apple.quarantine in the results, the app is quarantined.
To remove the quarantine, type "xattr -d com.apple.quarantine " and drag the app again into the window. Again, mind the space. Hit enter. Quarantine should now be removed.

To check the second case, you need to look into the contents of the app: right click on the NWJS app, pick Show package contents. Navigate to /Contents/MacOS/. Inside that folder you'll see a file called nwjs. That file should be a Unix executable. If it's anything else, it has lost its execute permission.
To fix this, start Terminal and type "chmod a+x " without the quotes at the prompt and drag the file inside the Terminal window. Terminal will fill out the path for you. Again mind there is a space between the command and the path. Hit enter. The file should now be executable.

As a general precaution, make a duplicate of the app first before changing its attributes or permissions.

Lionbro32

Jun 30, 2023
Turns out it was
  • the executable inside the app might have lost its execute permission during unzipping
To check quarantine, start Terminal and type "xattr " without the quotes at the prompt and drag the problematic app into the Terminal window. Terminal will fill out the path for you. Mind there is a space between the command and said path. Hit enter. If you see com.apple.quarantine in the results, the app is quarantined.
To remove the quarantine, type "xattr -d com.apple.quarantine " and drag the app again into the window. Again, mind the space. Hit enter. Quarantine should now be removed.

To check the second case, you need to look into the contents of the app: right click on the NWJS app, pick Show package contents. Navigate to /Contents/MacOS/. Inside that folder you'll see a file called nwjs. That file should be a Unix executable. If it's anything else, it has lost its execute permission.
To fix this, start Terminal and type "chmod a+x " without the quotes at the prompt and drag the file inside the Terminal window. Terminal will fill out the path for you. Again mind there is a space between the command and the path. Hit enter. The file should now be executable.

As a general precaution, make a duplicate of the app first before changing its attributes or permissions.
[/QUOTE

turns out it was quarantined and I was able to get rid of the error. However when I open it, despite it working, it just shows a grey screen that says Nw.Js and not the game.

PBS666

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2019
turns out it was quarantined and I was able to get rid of the error. However when I open it, despite it working, it just shows a grey screen that says Nw.Js and not the game.
If you see that grey screen, you're on the right track. It means the nwjs app is working. Now you can put in the game files from the PC version. Continue with step 2 of the tutorial made by Garnet X

Lionbro32

Jun 30, 2023
If you see that grey screen, you're on the right track. It means the nwjs app is working. Now you can put in the game files from the PC version. Continue with step 2 of the tutorial made by Garnet X
the app.nw folder is in the resources folder and it still shows that.