Others Abandoned Twin Star: (T)wincest Dating-sim Rpg [v0.7.1] [Pandapenguingames]

4.00 star(s) 2 Votes

Redmew

Donor
Dec 2, 2016
0.3 worked perfectly! But when I tried the 0.6.2 again, its still has the same issue for me :'( will try do run the windows update a couple of times, see if im maybe missing something from there.

3xpurt

Feb 25, 2017
Already v0.63 (feels like a 0.1), barely any content, still very broken, still can't save, can't maximize/resize window. It could be fun later, but at the moment it's very much a grind.

PandaPenguin

fuzzy miscreant
Game Developer
Nov 4, 2016
Already v0.63 (feels like a 0.1)
hi.... I don't see what the version number got to do anything with the development progress at all
guess you are one of those folks who think that after 0.9 comes 1.0 :tf:

barely any content
welcome to the techDemo, that's

still very broken, still can't save, can't maximize/resize window.
if you could pull your head out of your ass I'd be glad to help you fix these problems that are totally a problem on your end because the game is save-able and there is a fullscreen mode
and what's supposed to be "very broken"?

It could be fun later, but at the moment it's very much a grind.
I bet it will be... oh and I don't know what you are grinding here as there is "barely any content" remember?

:FuckYea:
so, let me know if you need any assistance with the problems at your end

3xpurt

Feb 25, 2017
hi.... I don't see what the version number got to do anything with the development progress at all
guess you are one of those folks who think that after 0.9 comes 1.0 :tf:

welcome to the techDemo, that's

if you could pull your head out of your ass I'd be glad to help you fix these problems that are totally a problem on your end because the game is save-able and there is a fullscreen mode
and what's supposed to be "very broken"?

I bet it will be... oh and I don't know what you are grinding here as there is "barely any content" remember?

:FuckYea:
so, let me know if you need any assistance with the problems at your end
I'm sorry you took my review so personally, but that is just my opinion on the the current state, and there is no need to start with insults, as that isn't going to win you any votes.

What I compare your work against is every other game on this forum. As for version numbers, those are up to you, but I see the numbers getting higher, so expect there must of been some major features between those versions. Again, we compare games to all the others out there.

As for saving. There is no escape menu, and the character wheel doesn't allow me to highlight the save button. So I've been unable to save. As for fullscreen, I said nothing about that. I am aware we can fullscreen, but like many players, I prefer maximized window or borderless window, which is why I mentioned that I am unable to resize or maximize. Sorry you didn't understand that.

Grinding, because there is so little content in the home, the small amount of content is spread between school and the club. So each day is a grindy repeat to build up points. It feels like you are implementing too many unfinished areas, rather than completing a single area. Which of course is up to you, but personally I would prefer to have more things to do in home before going back and forth to other areas. Once again, this is just my personal review, nothing against you personally.

PandaPenguin

fuzzy miscreant
Game Developer
Nov 4, 2016
I'm sorry you took my review so personally, but that is just my opinion on the the current state, and there is no need to start with insults, as that isn't going to win you any votes.

What I compare your work against is every other game on this forum. As for version numbers, those are up to you, but I see the numbers getting higher, so expect there must of been some major features between those versions. Again, we compare games to all the others out there.

As for saving. There is no escape menu, and the character wheel doesn't allow me to highlight the save button. So I've been unable to save. As for fullscreen, I said nothing about that. I am aware we can fullscreen, but like many players, I prefer maximized window or borderless window, which is why I mentioned that I am unable to resize or maximize. Sorry you didn't understand that.

Grinding, because there is so little content in the home, the small amount of content is spread between school and the club. So each day is a grindy repeat to build up points. It feels like you are implementing too many unfinished areas, rather than completing a single area. Which of course is up to you, but personally I would prefer to have more things to do in home before going back and forth to other areas. Once again, this is just my personal review, nothing against you personally.
well, to cool this off a bit: sorry for being snippy on a pirate board where my game just got leaked a week ahead of schedule :pokerFace:

as for your points:
press F1, that will bring up the controls menu which will tell you how to "use" the wheel menu
(FYI on my blog is also a controls overview)

regarding the updates, yes there have been major updates but not on the content side.
the new areas are not added for extra "content" but for introducing new gameplay mechanics
the game engine is in development, I build the whole thing myself (no pre-made toolbox like RPGmaker and such)
so, until the majority of the engine is finished there will be not much content to look at

there is no resize/borderless fullscreen window mode, just windowed 1280x720 or fullscreen
this is subject to change in the future as well, just like all the "unfinished" areas

3xpurt

Feb 25, 2017
well, to cool this off a bit: sorry for being snippy on a pirate board where my game just got leaked a week ahead of schedule :pokerFace:

as for your points:
press F1, that will bring up the controls menu which will tell you how to "use" the wheel menu
(FYI on my blog is also a controls overview)

regarding the updates, yes there have been major updates but not on the content side.
the new areas are not added for extra "content" but for introducing new gameplay mechanics
the game engine is in development, I build the whole thing myself (no pre-made toolbox like RPGmaker and such)
so, until the majority of the engine is finished there will be not much content to look at

there is no resize/borderless fullscreen window mode, just windowed 1280x720 or fullscreen
this is subject to change in the future as well, just like all the "unfinished" areas
I understand the process, and the work involved. I do think your game has potential. I'm wondering though, as you brought up RPGM. Why make it look like RPGM if you are not using RPGM, when there is potential to make it look unique or far better than an RPGM game?

Wouldn't worry about the piracy side of things, as studies have shown time and time again that piracy is good for sales, DRM is a waste of time and only hurts the paying customers, and it's been happening since the beginning of recordable media, so it's always going to be a thing. At least you haven't got people stealing your work and claiming it as their own, to me that is far worse, and I've experienced that myself. Take a look at the more popular games here, and you will see that piracy hasn't hurt their earnings at all (Big Brother was at 16k per month last I looked). Your own Patreon is doing very well considering the early state of the game, with an average of $9 per Patreon, I have seen far more complete games with far worse Patreon income, and the exposure here is free advertising and should only benefit you, as long as you don't take things too personal.

Reactions: randomguy

PandaPenguin

fuzzy miscreant
Game Developer
Nov 4, 2016
I understand the process, and the work involved. I do think your game has potential. I'm wondering though, as you brought up RPGM. Why make it look like RPGM if you are not using RPGM, when there is potential to make it look unique or far better than an RPGM game?

Wouldn't worry about the piracy side of things, as studies have shown time and time again that piracy is good for sales, DRM is a waste of time and only hurts the paying customers, and it's been happening since the beginning of recordable media, so it's always going to be a thing. At least you haven't got people stealing your work and claiming it as their own, to me that is far worse, and I've experienced that myself. Take a look at the more popular games here, and you will see that piracy hasn't hurt their earnings at all (Big Brother was at 16k per month last I looked). Your own Patreon is doing very well considering the early state of the game, with an average of $9 per Patreon, I have seen far more complete games with far worse Patreon income, and the exposure here is free advertising and should only benefit you, as long as you don't take things too personal.
ya I have already stated multiple times in this thread where I stand in terms of getting pirated, it's part of the "industry" and I too have noticed how little time it took some skilled members here to crack the "Big Brother" protection over night
(hence my joke some posts earlier) heck even the protection flaggship "Denuvo" got cracked for Andromeda already

regarding my development choice: in the long run (things that are not even in the game yet) I have far superior possibilities with GameMaker compared to RPGmaker.
Yes, you can modify and customize RPGm in many ways via JavaScript but given the effort I figured it would be easier to just "model" my game world like a RPGm game and have all the non standard things implemented easier in GameMaker
and there are not many ways a top-down RPG (or "Pokemon style") game can look like and given the popularity of RPGm people usually come to the very same conclusion that my game is made with RPGm :tf:

3xpurt

Feb 25, 2017
ya I have already stated multiple times in this thread where I stand in terms of getting pirated, it's part of the "industry" and I too have noticed how little time it took some skilled members here to crack the "Big Brother" protection over night
(hence my joke some posts earlier) heck even the protection flaggship "Denuvo" got cracked for Andromeda already

regarding my development choice: in the long run (things that are not even in the game yet) I have far superior possibilities with GameMaker compared to RPGmaker.
Yes, you can modify and customize RPGm in many ways via JavaScript but given the effort I figured it would be easier to just "model" my game world like a RPGm game and have all the non standard things implemented easier in GameMaker
and there are not many ways a top-down RPG (or "Pokemon style") game can look like and given the popularity of RPGm people usually come to the very same conclusion that my game is made with RPGm :tf:
I wonder though, is RPGM's popularity for this style of game actually related to people liking to play RPGM, or that it's easy for newbies to make games and get patreon income. So many of them are horrible to actually play.

There are a couple games that have done a lot with the top-down style. Hard to recall them now, as I've played so many. Game of Boners I think was one of them, where it doesn't feel like RPGM. However, I understand being able to programme is a lot different than creating art assets and models, especially when you're doing it on your own.

The big brother DRM is amusing really. An indie dev trying to make a custom DRM, when even something like Denuvo, like you said, used by triple-A games, with multi-million dollar budgets, has also been cracked. Not only is it silly, but it's time and money better spent elsewhere.

What I do like about your game style so far is that the maps are small, and I don't need to load through 5 different maps to get to a destination, that is something that it has over RPGM games.

The problem I had with saving was definitely user error, and has to do with me trying to get used to a game that looks like RPGM, but not having RPGM controls. I was trying to click the icon rather than use the mouse wheel to select it.

PandaPenguin

fuzzy miscreant
Game Developer
Nov 4, 2016
I wonder though, is RPGM's popularity for this style of game actually related to people liking to play RPGM, or that it's easy for newbies to make games and get patreon income. So many of them are horrible to actually play.
that answer is definitely the "easy to create" part because if you would invest a little more time into customizing your RPGm game can look and feel a lot different... but ya many of these recently popped up games (same with RenPy) are just some ripoff copycats trying to make some quick bucks on a well working idea (just look at all the daddy/daughter clones popping up after the success of DatingMyDaughter) with least amount of effort. easily spotted when many of the character models look the same in different games. these are the stock base models with very little customization (or even none)... all those "Mike" and "Victoria" models from DAZ or the widely used "boy" model "Tween Ryan"

oh and that wheel menu was a poor design choice from my side for sure because
  • I assumed that everybody would check for controls if it didn't work as expected
  • it would be intuitive enough to use the wheel for rotation (totally forgetting that not everybody has a real mouse with a wheel)
so that issue is already taken care of for an upcoming upgrade to the engine
btw my blog is really worth a look for more infos on development too

What I do like about your game style so far is that the maps are small, and I don't need to load through 5 different maps to get to a destination, that is something that it has over RPGM games.
ya that's what I dislike in RPGm games the most, those "door" mechanics and room transitions
this and walking speed in some of the older RPGm software games (those from Combin Ation for e.g.)

3xpurt

Feb 25, 2017
that answer is definitely the "easy to create" part because if you would invest a little more time into customizing your RPGm game can look and feel a lot different... but ya many of these recently popped up games (same with RenPy) are just some ripoff copycats trying to make some quick bucks on a well working idea (just look at all the daddy/daughter clones popping up after the success of DatingMyDaughter) with least amount of effort. easily spotted when many of the character models look the same in different games. these are the stock base models with very little customization (or even none)... all those "Mike" and "Victoria" models from DAZ or the widely used "boy" model "Tween Ryan"

oh and that wheel menu was a poor design choice from my side for sure because
  • I assumed that everybody would check for controls if it didn't work as expected
  • it would be intuitive enough to use the wheel for rotation (totally forgetting that not everybody has a real mouse with a wheel)
so that issue is already taken care of for an upcoming upgrade to the engine
btw my blog is really worth a look for more infos on development too

ya that's what I dislike in RPGm games the most, those "door" mechanics and room transitions
this and walking speed in some of the older RPGm software games (those from Combin Ation for e.g.)
The mouse wheel thing is fine on my PC, but not on my laptop, and then the WASD is unexpected, as I'm used to arrow keys on RPGM games, although I prefer WASD normally. Quickmenu 2 is how I expected it to work, and why I was having trouble finding the saves. As for F1 help screen, I would suggesting have a small icon reminder in the corner of the screen somewhere.

ikaruga

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Aug 11, 2016
Were going to test it until y saw a rpg maker like style.
Worth it anyway ?

ikaruga

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Aug 11, 2016
of course I'd say "Yes!" :tf:
Lol just saw your signature :)
I don't like RPG maker games, because they all alike.
But as you're here on the forum, i'll make a test of your game !
Because it's always great to have game dev here

ikaruga

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Aug 11, 2016
PS : The mega link in OP does not work anymore.
The originals ones :

Source :

PandaPenguin

fuzzy miscreant
Game Developer
Nov 4, 2016
Lol just saw your signature :)
I don't like RPG maker games, because they all alike.
But as you're here on the forum, i'll make a test of your game !
Because it's always great to have game dev here
hehe :FuckYea:

btw I suggest you hit F1 ingame or check out the on my blog because my game may look like an RPGMaker game but the controls are completely different

Muff Diver

Gaming Legend & LoneWolf
Respected User
Donor
Former Staff
Aug 18, 2016
added new link from PandaPenguin patreon as Op were Dead

Nov 16, 2016
Panda, I really like your game. I have been playing the tech demos since you started. I plan on becoming a patreon when the game comes together more. Best of luck!

Reactions: PandaPenguin

Sural Argonus

Chimpanor Productions
Donor
Game Developer
May 12, 2017
I've backed the game for a while now, and I really like it. HOWEVER I won't share the links myself. I appreciate this site for collecting links to the games. It makes it easier to see if I want to support a game. Also the feedback on here seems to be a bit more honest than on Patreon threads.

Truth is, I have found a lot of games here, and ended up backing them if I like them.

I started backing PandaPenguin about 2-3 months ago, and haven't looked back. Sure...I wish the game would hurry up and not be a tech demo anymore, but the renders look awesome. Especially the 4k render that was made with the new system.

4.00 star(s) 2 Votes