VN HTML Completed Tonight is the Night [v1si0n4ry]

3.00 star(s) 1 Vote

v1si0n4ry

Game Developer
Jan 31, 2018
beachstart.jpg

Overview:
Tonight is the Night is a story of a regular guy in a night of his life when everything just seems to work out all right... Or not. It all depends on the player​

Updated: 16-5-2018
Developer:
Censorship: None
Version: Final
Language: English
Genre:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Installation:

Change-Log:

Download:
- - -

promenade_vic11.jpg beach_kiosk3.jpg waterfall12.jpg charlotte_home_bj3.jpg lilith_house1.jpg

moudy

Mar 2, 2017
Not bad for a proof of concept.

A few things to point out:
- It would be nice to have something like "not implemented yet" next to the choices that are not working
- Renders look nice
- If you fail to impress the girl at the beach, have it rather go to the home screen instead of just "Try again".
- The "Go back to where I was" in the "Try again" screen is not working as it should. Either does nothing or throws you home where there is nothing to do.

v1si0n4ry

Game Developer
Jan 31, 2018
Not bad for a proof of concept.

A few things to point out:
- It would be nice to have something like "not implemented yet" next to the choices that are not working
- Renders look nice
- If you fail to impress the girl at the beach, have it rather go to the home screen instead of just "Try again".
- The "Go back to where I was" in the "Try again" screen is not working as it should. Either does nothing or throws you home where there is nothing to do.
I get what you mean with the "not implemented yet". Thanks for the tip.

The "Go back to where I left off" loads your last save at the moment. I will try to change that functionality to go back to an auto save, maybe?

Reactions: Max Headroom

moudy

Mar 2, 2017
I get what you mean with the "not implemented yet". Thanks for the tip.

The "Go back to where I left off" loads your last save at the moment. I will try to change that functionality to go back to an auto save, maybe?
auto save sounds good, or at least change it to "load last save". Otherwise it just leads to confusion as you think it will throw you at the start of the beach scene.

Reactions: v1si0n4ry

v1si0n4ry

Game Developer
Jan 31, 2018
Oh so the progress is score based ?
Yes. You only get to the full ending with the right choices... Think it as a simplified and easier simulation of real life. If you meet someone, you might end up in their bedroom, but only if you say/do the right things...

moudy

Mar 2, 2017
Yes. You only get to the full ending with the right choices... Think it as a simplified and easier simulation of real life. If you meet someone, you might end up in their bedroom, but only if you say/do the right things...
So... is this one of those "find the correct pixel on the image" kind of game? I tried alot of things with the girl on the beach but always got "Try again" ending and thought that was it.... until I looked into the picture folder I realized that I only saw 1% of everything.

v1si0n4ry

Game Developer
Jan 31, 2018
So... is this one of those "find the correct pixel on the image" kind of game? I tried alot of things with the girl on the beach but always got "Try again" ending and thought that was it.... until I looked into the picture folder I realized that I only saw 1% of everything.
It's more like "find the correct answers" kind of game. When you sit next to her, you may notice the outline of the screen turns yellow. When it's like this, it means there is one or more interactable areas on the screen. It's a common feature of Adventure Creator, the software I used to develop the game.

These areas are hidden, which means you have to move your mouse around to find them. Once you touch an area with your mouse, you'll notice some text will appear at the top of the image, indicating the action corresponding to that area. Just click the area to perform the action

moudy

Mar 2, 2017
It's more like "find the correct answers" kind of game. When you sit next to her, you may notice the outline of the screen turns yellow. When it's like this, it means there is one or more interactable areas on the screen. It's a common feature of Adventure Creator, the software I used to develop the game.

These areas are hidden, which means you have to move your mouse around to find them. Once you touch an area with your mouse, you'll notice some text will appear at the top of the image, indicating the action corresponding to that area. Just click the area to perform the action
aaaand you lost me.

Good luck with the game, but me personally will avoid this one, mainly because I HATE looking for those few pixels, that you have to find in order to progress the story.

Reactions: WoodyGB and MrJ

v1si0n4ry

Game Developer
Jan 31, 2018
aaaand you lost me.

Good luck with the game, but me personally will avoid this one, mainly because I HATE looking for those few pixels, that you have to find in order to progress the story.
The game doesn't have a lot of those actually... I suggest you try past the first one (read the spoiler).

You'll be able to go to the ending with very very few of those interactions from there.

moudy

Mar 2, 2017
Sorry, I just have bad experience with games that you have to "find the correct pixels" to go somewhere. Combine that with "1 wrong move leads to game over" and I run out faster than you can say cheese.

Reactions: MrJ and darlic

v1si0n4ry

Game Developer
Jan 31, 2018
Well, can't say I tried. I do intend on developing my next game on Renpy if I can get enough supporters with this one... Maybe I will have the pleasure of your time in the future

89tasker

Jun 4, 2017
Sorry, I just have bad experience with games that you have to "find the correct pixels" to go somewhere. Combine that with "1 wrong move leads to game over" and I run out faster than you can say cheese.
I will agree with this. Especially if the DEV doesn't high-light which object on the screen you're supposed to click. Players just end up moving their mouse back and forth until something happens, or completely miss it and give up.

It's the visual novel equivalent of "guess-the-verb" in text based games.

hopeless

Oct 29, 2017
gameplay is to guess what's the right button to continue the story... else, game over... omg...

3.00 star(s) 1 Vote