loqex

Aug 5, 2016
Ahh.. getting Rand event is woodsblank: An Exception has occcured. :FeelsBadMan:

jillgates

Game Developer
Oct 10, 2017
@loqex, what version? That sounds like the .18 from ~36 hours ago; I uploaded a new version around ~11 am PST (let's see, 22 hours ish ago) to my website and mega. Links are in the patreon post for ease of reference, here:

Though that won't guarantee of course all bugs are gone :) Just the ones that I squished which resulted in the "Ren'py Crash," screen, which is a pretty crap experience. Now that I know better, I can avoid that issue in the future.

@Stiffler I've shipped three versions (all this most recent week, I've been busy), then the bug fix this morning.

Thanks @UncleVT yes, the patreon will always be the most up to date version of what is where, why & how. The vast majority of posts there are public; rarely do I make posts private, unless they are rewards and or supporter POV requests. They're the only customers I'm trying to please, really - myself first, them a close second (as I have to do all the work, if I hate doing it, well, it's just going to end in tears all around).

@Twistty nah, I just was lucky enough to get his help with my list - issue in Ren'py. It's not like I haven't read a few books on python, it's more that I never regularly code so one forgets easily what one never uses :) He's a super nice person, chatted with him on Discord and now, I'll *definitely* start a code review when I have time.

@Prokopije btw, regarding this:
>he's not going to finish
If you must, use my gender:
>she's not going to finish

Given my most recent week I finished ~100 renders, near enough, along with 3 different animations, 3 versions of a new game and shipped - well, I work hard when I'm interested in a project. This, so far, is very interesting *and* bonus, makes my existing game infinitely better. In December, I had a death in the family that derailed a fair bit of life and shipped late, but, still the biggest life to date monthly update for Romancing the Kingdom that I've done in 14 months of development (though some months were more off than on, I'll be honest).

In front of me is my Titan X (I know, not the best) 12 gigs of course, with a spinning platter HD, system memory about 32 gigs on top of that. On my left, is a computer with a better i7, dual Nvidia Pascal 1080's (or 1070's? whatever was top when it launched, def not 1060 which came later), an SSD instead of HD, even more ram and at newer generation ... with incredibly fast boot times, render times & the works.

Though you're right; could be, this will all end in tears. We'll see.

- did you download from *here* or the link from my Patreon? If you downloaded from here, it could be the mega link isn't mine, but, somebody who copied & pasted the broken file from my site. LMK.

Last edited:
Reactions: UncleVT

Demon Jhim

Aug 5, 2017
I have this error and I don't know how to fix it
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 730, in script call
    $ renpy.call(randwoodsevent)
  File "game/script.rpy", line 1081, in script call
  File "game/script.rpy", line 1078, in script
    $ randwoodsevent = renpy.random.choice(randwoods)
  File "game/script.rpy", line 1078, in <module>
TypeError: object of type 'NoneType' has no len()

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 730, in script call
  File "game/script.rpy", line 1078, in script
  File "C:\Users\Desktop\Games\New DL\Ren'Py\SwordofWonder-.018-win\SwordofWonder-.018-win\renpy\ast.py", line 827, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "C:\Users\Desktop\Games\New DL\Ren'Py\SwordofWonder-.018-win\SwordofWonder-.018-win\renpy\python.py", line 1764, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "game/script.rpy", line 1078, in <module>
  File "/home/tom/ab/x64lucid-deps/install/lib/python2.7/random.py", line 275, in choice
TypeError: object of type 'NoneType' has no len()

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.99.13.2919
SwordofWonder .018

jillgates

Game Developer
Oct 10, 2017
@Demon Jhim did you download in the last ~22 hours from my patreon page? OR the download link on here?

If it's the Patreon one, the bug is gone; if it's the download link from here I think they need to swap out the file. That bug I fixed ~22 hours ago with help (see my post before yours).

Reactions: Twistty

Demon Jhim

Aug 5, 2017
@Demon Jhim did you download in the last ~22 hours from my patreon page? OR the download link on here?

If it's the Patreon one, the bug is gone; if it's the download link from here I think they need to swap out the file. That bug I fixed ~22 hours ago with help (see my post before yours).
From here gues have to DL again thanks for the info.

jillgates

Game Developer
Oct 10, 2017
Ah, might want to hold off, fixed one bug and (sigh) I don't code much; the "if not randoods" only checked to see if the variable was declared.

Changed code to:
if len(randwoods) < 1:

That seems to have solved it, but, I want to fix one more issue then do an updated build.

So expect it'll be solved in an hour ish, given the above works out code-wise.

Dec 14, 2017
Ah, might want to hold off, fixed one bug and (sigh) I don't code much; the "if not randoods" only checked to see if the variable was declared.

Changed code to:
if len(randwoods) < 1:

That seems to have solved it, but, I want to fix one more issue then do an updated build.

So expect it'll be solved in an hour ish, given the above works out code-wise.
it was a bad upload of 18 on here, your patreon linked version finds the bandit in the woods fine.

jillgates

Game Developer
Oct 10, 2017
Ah, well, there were more bugs than I expected. Estimates for code & all that right?

In any case, I've uploaded to Mega as well as Patreon the fixed, .19 version. What's changed?
* contextualized all the dialogue based on prior events
- if you see a line of text that doesn't add up, let me know please.
* fixed event triggers, added protective code checks to ensure transitions happen
- basically if the random events don't trigger, there's a fail-safe, so you reach the end of .19 regardless, or you lose :)
* background image added to centered, large font notifications
- these are things like "Boom," "Pow," or, "You got X coins," etc. There was one instance of this in the narration box which annoyed me and was inconsistent.

Now back to production work. Feel free to shout if you still find something that needs fixing.

U

User_10739

I was having crazy deja vu until I came back and read the comments. Don't understand the need for 2 parallel games with the same content. Yes I read the dev's explanation...

jillgates

Game Developer
Oct 10, 2017
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Version .20 available now:

What's new in version .20?

* 25 new renders (images) bringing the total excluding animation to 99

* Two new scenes, with multiple choices

* Extra insights into the story :)

Also, enough content that if another no content post like asshole @Kasey's happens again, the moderators will nuke his crap :)

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
@jillgates . @Kasey isn't being an "asshole". His point is valid. They do share a lot of content and his view is likely that you should focus on one game for now.

jillgates

Game Developer
Oct 10, 2017
I do think that the issue raised by @Kasey was addressed before he posted, but, for those who need stuff to be 'mainsplained' ;) here:

Now, if you can't be bothered to read...I have no idea why like this hombre you'd bother to post ;) But enlighten me...I seem to be missing my own Sword of Wonder :)

U

User_10739

I didn't complain about the level of content in your game, I don't get how you got that impression. This game feels like a reboot of the other one and as I said, after reading the comments in this thread I realized it is not but it does feel like a clash in continuity between the 2.

Leaving comments and viewpoints about games is what we do on this gaming board but calling other members "assholes" for their opinion won't win you any new patrons and wearing that shiny developer badge doesn't make you exempt from the rules here...

Palanto

Game Developer
Oct 4, 2017
You have @Palanto Games helping you?
Your lucky as he is one of the most talentet and "cleanest" coders I have seen!!!
His work on Wicked Choices - - is rather impressive.
I decrypted all the files of that game - and looked! :)
*snip* I'll *definitely* start a code review when I have time. *snip*
Thanks for the flowers Twistty ;)

Don't bother with it jillgates he's exaggerating ;) It's getting messy and I didn't have time to comment on everything I did (what I should've done ;) )

p.S.: You're welcome jillgates :) I'm always happy to help ;)

Reactions: UncleVT and Twistty

Twistty

The Happy Beaver
Respected User
Donor
Former Staff
Sep 9, 2016
@jillgates - Happy Pre-New Year!!!
Noticed that you game is updated faster than I can keep track of it?
Which is a show of your dedication to adding content and squashing bugs :)
Wonder if you would consider doing the beaver a small favor and - possibly consider making a Mega folder - for your games updates?
That way I can just link to the folder here - for everyone - and they will always get the most current version.
Just updated this to 0.19 then I just now noticed you have been as busy as always - and released 0.20 already.

Just an idea?
Wonder what your input on this idea is?

Thanks and Cheers - again!!! :eek:penedeyewink:

Ps. Thanks @UncleVT for another kick - It really does help me keep track on things!!!

jillgates

Game Developer
Oct 10, 2017
@Twistty

Good call on the mega folder; for the release later this week (.21 I'm targeting Jan 5th, as I'm aiming at a more substantial update), I'll add the new folder to Mega. Would it be helpful if I drop you a PM? Or just post here?

Reactions: Palanto and Twistty
3.10 star(s) 7 Votes