Mod Ren'Py Summertime Saga - Lain's Walkthrough Mod [v0.20.16]

3.80 star(s) 6 Votes

icakicak

Jun 21, 2017
actually, Lain, you can open a donation account, and good people here will donate to you. Or, full release this mod and people can pay to your patreon (whatever methods of pay). And you can open a thread that post all your released mods.

your case with many previous free works is not the first one. many out there people voluntary help these helpless souls in the gaming world, but they don't sell their work until someone want to give money to them, so, why not? donation.

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
It should be no surprise to anyone why this kind of behaviour gets a backlash from the community.

F95zone is founded on the idea that sharing is caring, and paywalls are bad. Yet here we have a member of the modding community throwing up paywalls over work which they do not own. I vehemently disagree with any kind of "paywall sharing" or modding, especially when the original works haven't been licensed in an appropriate fashion.

This would be like if we charged for cracked games, or put a paygate on the forum, or created a "VIP" section etc. This goes against not only my own feelings on sharing but the fundamental principals of the forum.

Sokat

Oct 25, 2017
@Maim Lain You really have no right to make money off the mods you make because you don't own the copyright to the material you are modifying. Just as companies close mods that pretend to make money off of said mod you could very well get shut down by any developer that looks at your work and doesn't like what they see. And it just goes against the spirit of mods and this community, it's just ugly all around. You do you but you are gonna get a ton of hate for this. But I guess the money is worth it?

Hones

Forum Fanatic
Game Compressor
Aug 10, 2018
@Maim Lain You really have no right to make money off the mods you make because you don't own the copyright to the material you are modifying. Just as companies close mods that pretend to make money off of said mod you could very well get shut down by any developer that looks at your work and doesn't like what they see. And it just goes against the spirit of mods and this community, it's just ugly all around. You do you but you are gonna get a ton of hate for this. But I guess the money is worth it?
From what I understand it's only the Walkthrough Mod that has a paid version and it doesn't use any of the devs art or assets the Characters Mod & Fan DLC Scenes Mod which do use the devs art/assets are both free.

Sokat

Oct 25, 2017
From what I understand it's only the Walkthrough Mod that has a paid version and it doesn't use any of the devs art or assets the Characters Mod & Fan DLC Scenes Mod which do use the devs art/assets are both free.
It still modifies the game and could cause problems. Said problems could affect the devs negatively. Just as the incest patch causes problems from time to time and people blame the devs and not the modders. Whether the mod uses assets from the devs or not doesn't matter because it still requires the base game to run. If he had made this a separate little program that you open separately from the base game it would still be viewed badly by the community but it wouldn't affect the devs in any way.

Reactions: godlike123

SLDR

Uploader
Modder
Aug 5, 2016
Yikes. I think a monthly Patreon is a bad idea for mods that you should realistically only be working on when there's a new update to one of the games.

A simple tip jar like ko-fi would be totally fine in my book.

Hones

Forum Fanatic
Game Compressor
Aug 10, 2018
Yikes. I think a monthly Patreon is a bad idea for mods that you should realistically only be working on when there's a new update to one of the games.

A simple tip jar like ko-fi would be totally fine in my book.
Something similar to a tip jar like ko-fi would probably be a good idea for Lain (and less controversial) but ko-fi itself wouldn't work. They don't allow Adult Content.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Maid Lain

Modder
Game Developer
Apr 4, 2018
Don't get your hand on the state machine, you'll get eaten :)
For real, it's a nightmare to make a mod this big that has to check every single state for a character so the walkthrough can know where the player is at in the game. Also testing is even worse because rollback bugs out states so you can't use rollback to test the mod and have to keep making saves and reloading them.

It should be no surprise to anyone why this kind of behaviour gets a backlash from the community.

over work which they do not own.

I vehemently disagree with any kind of "paywall sharing" or modding, especially when the original works haven't been licensed in an appropriate fashion.
I knew there would be a lot backlash, but thanks for being able to calmly say why you don't like it unlike half of the posts here that are just hate posts. I've had to make the same post talking about how the walkthrough mod is my own work though so I guess I'll post it for the third time:

"I'm not making money off of other peoples work though, only my own. I made everything for the walkthrough mod myself, and it doesn't contain any assets or anything at all from the actual game. The art mod and fan dlc mods are free of course but I wouldn't charge for those even if I could, because those actually do use the work and art of other people so it wouldn't feel right to me."

Also I've said to a few different mods that if anyone posts the full version here that the mods can update the thread with a link to it since this site is mainly about sharing games like you said, and I wouldn't want my mod to be an exception.

@Maim Laincopyright to the material you are modifying
See the quote above.

It still modifies the game and could cause problems. Said problems could affect the devs negatively.
You mean problems like all the bugs that are in the new update? The devs don't need my help to create bugs for the game since they already do that a lot. But my mods don't change anything with the game like the incest patch does, it just reads the states and gives you walkthrough tips for the characters so there are no bugs or anything that would affect the game.

I'm a bit tired of posting the same replies to the same hate comments though so I'm not going to be reading/responding to this thread anymore. But I respect the very few people that were able to calmly and rationally say why they didn't like the mods. I'll update the thread with the fan art scenes mod whenever that gets finished, so hopefully people will like that. If anyone has any legitimate questions or comments about the mods you can message me I guess.

Sokat

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit tired of posting the same replies to the same hate comments though so I'm not going to be reading/responding to this thread anymore.
How was my comment a "hate comment"? And you saying you don't use any assets from the game... What are those pictures I see in the preview images on each girl's face and each choice? Those sure look like in-game images...

Last edited:

Nolander

Oct 19, 2018
I seriously don't see how this could be considered leaching other people's work for profit, the picture improvements were given away for free. The "coding" work had a demo and a paid version and it's subject to be pirated just as the games are here and are no different and should be regarded as such in a free society. There are people willing to pay for his work and we should be allowed to do so without it being such an ordeal, it's not like anyone is forcing anyone to pay or not to write their own mod and offer it up for free.

Slimjim211

Jun 10, 2017
i download the mega link on the op page. And i did what it said to do. It said to do this Click the button at the bottom of the in-game phone to activate the mod menu. at the warehouse it did not work at all.

Gorgolock

Donor
Nov 25, 2017
I knew there would be a lot backlash, but thanks for being able to calmly say why you don't like it unlike half of the posts here that are just hate posts. I've had to make the same post talking about how the walkthrough mod is my own work though so I guess I'll post it for the third time:

"I'm not making money off of other peoples work though, only my own. I made everything for the walkthrough mod myself, and it doesn't contain any assets or anything at all from the actual game. The art mod and fan dlc mods are free of course but I wouldn't charge for those even if I could, because those actually do use the work and art of other people so it wouldn't feel right to me."

Also I've said to a few different mods that if anyone posts the full version here that the mods can update the thread with a link to it since this site is mainly about sharing games like you said, and I wouldn't want my mod to be an exception.
What I said isn't hate and my review isn't hate. It's just fact. Anyone can do exactly what you did minus the adding it to the game. The thing is though, you are a newish member, and so am I. I have done plenty of work on games and not once have I demanded payment. Anything I released was free and I had a way for those to tip me so I can get a cup of coffee. Trying to use modding as your sole income is a terrible idea. Especially on a site such as this one.

I have Aspergers and am in the Military. You don't see me using autism as an excuse to not get a job, and you sure as hell don't see me using it as an excuse for demanding money for mods.

This is a community for sharing. The whole purpose of this place is to share. Great job on the mods, really, but doing the whole "pay for my mod" thing is going to make a lot of members hate you as a modder. Heck, members will probably release an identical copy of what you did for free.

Just think about it.

Maid Lain

Modder
Game Developer
Apr 4, 2018
Nov. 26th update:
Added the Fan DLC mod to 3 new scenes and 46 new images.

From a quick glance I see a couple people are still triggered and care way too much about a game mod, so I'm still not going to bother reading any posts on this thread. Hope you guys enjoy the mod.

hecking_hecks

Jan 9, 2018
Nov. 26th update:
Added the Fan DLC mod to 3 new scenes and 46 new images.

From a quick glance I see a couple people are still triggered and care way too much about a game mod, so I'm still not going to bother reading any posts on this thread. Hope you guys enjoy the mod.

Mod doesn't work bud. Might be an additional step I'm missing (referring to the two sister scenes) but it's not simply go down into living room during the day. There is no one there.

Maid Lain

Modder
Game Developer
Apr 4, 2018
Mod doesn't work bud. Might be an additional step I'm missing (referring to the two sister scenes) but it's not simply go down into living room during the day. There is no one there.
You need to go to inside the tree house first to activate the mod.

Do these mods work for Mac? If so, how?
Yes.
Mac: Unzip any mod and put the files inside the "game" folder from the mod in your "SummertimeSaga-0-17-0-mac/Contents/Resources/autorun/game" folder.

Last edited:

cvedant95

Natural Born Pervert
Donor
Jun 19, 2018
Wouldn't mind paying for full version of the walk-through MOD, but it seems MOD doesn't have guide for every possible girl in the game. It will seem illogical to expect the MOD to have guide for girls who have only few scenes.
But its not one time fee I will be charged for It will be monthly transaction so I hope MOD gets better over the time.

Until then I guess its better to use demo version just like MOD author recommends.
Nice MOD Keep Up the Good Work

3.80 star(s) 6 Votes