Mod Ren'Py Summertime Saga - Lain's Walkthrough Mod [v0.20.16]

3.80 star(s) 6 Votes

Maid Lain

Modder
Game Developer
Apr 4, 2018
so just curious would you be upset if someone got your full your walkthrough and then posted here to this pirate site
No I wouldn't be upset, that's perfectly fine with me since that's mainly what this site is about.

I think trying to make money off of a pirated version of another persons work is a quick way to get in trouble
I'm not making money off of other peoples work though, only my own. I made everything for the walkthrough mod myself, and it doesn't contain any assets or anything at all from the actual game. The art mod and fan dlc mods are free of course but I wouldn't charge for those even if I could, because those actually do use the work and art of other people so it wouldn't feel right to me.

Last edited:

TheEdge

Jun 5, 2017
The SS is one of the rare games where people are not forced to contribute to Patreon to play it, and yet DarkCookie gets $ 51,574 a month. Do not get me wrong, but forcing these people to pay for a complete mod of this game is not a very smart thing to do. I have nothing against those who want to make money, as long as it is thanks to their work and not the expense of others.

Last edited:

Maid Lain

Modder
Game Developer
Apr 4, 2018
I have nothing against those who want to make money, as long as it is thanks to their work and not the expense of others.
I addressed this literally 2 posts above yours. =P

"I'm not making money off of other peoples work though, only my own. I made everything for the walkthrough mod myself, and it doesn't contain any assets or anything at all from the actual game. The art mod and fan dlc mods are free of course but I wouldn't charge for those even if I could, because those actually do use the work and art of other people so it wouldn't feel right to me."

Gorgolock

Donor
Nov 25, 2017
No offense Lain, but this is not how you go about things. You may ask for tips for your efforts, but don't block off every bit of content that's actually useful by asking for $5/month. We all know Demo's are 99% of the time complete and utter garbage. I can just as easily make a stupid document with the exact information you put in this mod in just under a couple hours. All you did was make the walkthrough part of the game. Extra effort, but not worth $5/month for anyone here. It's a mod man... treat it as such. There's plenty of mods out there far better than a walkthrough/cheat console for free. Mods that actually add content. This doesn't do much other than just copy and paste a walkthrough while adding cheats that I can just as easily type in myself.

Maid Lain

Modder
Game Developer
Apr 4, 2018
I can just as easily make a stupid document with the exact information you put in this mod in just under a couple hours.
Go ahead and do it. As you said though, it'd be a "stupid document", which is why this mod took much, much longer than a couple hours to make since it's a mod, so idk why you're even bringing that up.
There's plenty of mods out there far better than a walkthrough/cheat console for free. Mods that actually add content.
You mean like the dozen other mods I've made that are free?

I'm not even sure why you care so much tbh.. You wrote a paragraph saying you don't like the mod, and wrote another paragraph rating my thread also explaining why you don't like the mod. If you don't like something on the internet, you can just move on ya know.. but thanks for all the effort you put into saying you don't like it, I guess.

Dogeek

Summertime Saga
Game Developer
Apr 20, 2018
It really stings. No really, it does.

I've downloaded the free version of your mod, and decompiled it. Asking for 5$ for that is ballsy.

a) walkthroughs are posted like 1-2 hours after the release on our discord. No need for a mod for that.

b) all the premium features of this mod are already part of the game if you downloaded it from us. Max money? There's the cheat mode already. Unlocking all the cookie jar scenes? Type in "unlock_all_scenes()" in the renpy console and boom. There's even a freaking debug menu full of cheats and stuff to break the game if you want to. Just enable developer mode and you have all that. Hint : the debug menu is accessible via the wifi icon of the cellphone...

c) placing your name on virtually anything is really an insult to the game. You can make it discreet but no, you decided to put it in the cellphone and on the main menu for good measure.

d) I doubt that you spent more than two hours whipping up this crap. I've looked through the code. Dude, it's a disgrace to software engineering.if not S_roxxy_beat_clyde in M_roxxy.__dict__['_cleared_states']: that's straight from your code. Another one : elif M_roxxy.is_state(S_roxxy_dexter_argument) or M_roxxy.is_state(S_roxxy_intense_gymercise) or M_roxxy.is_state(S_roxxy_shower_event) or M_roxxy.is_state(S_roxxy_lolipop_delay):. You learned to code 3 days ago and imediately tried to make a quick buck by piggybacking on other games' success?

It genuinely stings that people would give money to you for such a product, while Ikaruga on the other hand makes fantastic mods on this very forum, and he's not the only one. That's just sad. And my piece of advice? For anyone wondering how to get access to cheats, come on our discord, and save some money while you're at it. If you ask nicely, we'll help you through the game.

Maid Lain

Modder
Game Developer
Apr 4, 2018
all the premium features of this mod are already part of the game if you downloaded it from us. Max money? There's the cheat mode already. Unlocking all the cookie jar scenes? Type in "unlock_all_scenes()" in the renpy console and boom. There's even a freaking debug menu full of cheats and stuff to break the game if you want to. Just enable developer mode and you have all that. Hint : the debug menu is accessible via the wifi icon of the cellphone...
You obviously don't want players using those cheats though, otherwise you would have actually put them into the game. You don't enable the console by default and even changed all the keyboard shortcuts for the dev commands so people wouldn't be able to use them. Also wasn't it you yourself that said you didn't want players to have access to the debug menu or was that another dev from the game? The money cheat is for if you aren't in cheat mode (a fact which you conveniently omitted). Also your cheat mode doesn't even let players max their stats.

you decided to put it in the cellphone
That was a joke/easter egg, not sure why you would even care about that lol.

I doubt that you spent more than two hours whipping up this crap. I've looked through the code. You learned to code 3 days ago
Hahaha, you read over a thousand lines of code to pick out the code from when I first started the mod, while not mentioning that that part is literally the only part of the mod where the code is like that? Well thanks for spending so much time and effort to try to make me look bad I guess.

Making this mod was a nightmare though due to the way you coded the game and all the bugs with the character states, so you've already gotten your revenge, congrats.

so yeah the since the actual developer is against this probably would be best if you would either delete this thread or make everything free
If @Dogeek or the devs want me to take down the Character Art mod or the Fan DLC mod (even though that's not done yet) I'll take them down (even though that would suck if I had to). But my walkthrough mod is just code that I've written (apparently bad code that I've written lol), so even though he doesn't like it, I wouldn't have to take it down since it doesn't use anything from the game.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: 8InchesAndCounting

Dogeek

Summertime Saga
Game Developer
Apr 20, 2018
For clarity's sake, I'll just say that mods are great, and it's always fun to see what the community can whip up. It's the selling part that is disturbing me.

Also, the debug menu is hidden to avoid people from breaking the game in stupid ways. The debug menu has much more than cheats in, it is primarily a tool for us QA and Devs to test the game faster. There's plenty of ways to break the game using that.

It's a safety measure.

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
@King Monkey Mon - A couple points.
One, dogeek is a lead coder for DarkCookie. I don't think they're going to go after Maim Lain unless he takes credit for the artwork/coding.
Two, we do agree that it is tasteless to hide the majority of "art scribbles" and "an attempt at coding" behind a pay wall but that's not illegal.
And yes, we are aware this thread is a tinderbox. We'll try to keep an eye on this but there's some very, very important threads to watch like, I'd say The Legacy?

King Monkey Mon

The Perverted King of The Harem Masters
May 16, 2017
@King Monkey Mon - A couple points.
One, dogeek is a lead coder for DarkCookie. I don't think they're going to go after Maim Lain unless he takes credit for the artwork/coding.
Two, we do agree that it is tasteless to hide the majority of "art scribbles" and "an attempt at coding" behind a pay wall but that's not illegal.
And yes, we are aware this thread is a tinderbox. We'll try to keep an eye on this but there's some very, very important threads to watch like, I'd say The Legacy?
thank you for the response

Nolander

Oct 19, 2018
Go ahead and do it. As you said though, it'd be a "stupid document", which is why this mod took much, much longer than a couple hours to make since it's a mod, so idk why you're even bringing that up.

You mean like the dozen other mods I've made that are free?

I'm not even sure why you care so much tbh.. You wrote a paragraph saying you don't like the mod, and wrote another paragraph rating my thread also explaining why you don't like the mod. If you don't like something on the internet, you can just move on ya know.. but thanks for all the effort you put into saying you don't like it, I guess.
Please do not feed the trolls! :)

Maid Lain

Modder
Game Developer
Apr 4, 2018
if the rest of the mods dont ask for money for the full verison of their mod then you shouldnt start now
The reason all my other mods and walkthroughs are free is because they were either easy to make and didn't take much time, or because I really liked the game. The only reason this one isn't is because it took a very very long time to make and I don't really like all of the characters in this game, so I never would have even made the mod for this game in the first place.

• Angry
Reactions: 8InchesAndCounting

ikaruga

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Aug 11, 2016
Please let him try to get some buck with his mod, it's work

Please, respect dev wanting to keep their game safe, people will use mod without any attention and could get bugs, then blame game dev, not modder.

The debug menu is awful if you don't know what you do, that's why i only reuse safests calls (days / hours / cookie jar)

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Keep your hard work, make 5$ worth paying, but careful with credits.

I agree with @Dogeek SS Discord is kinda fun :)

@Maim Lain : You could give a try to make your first release of your mod free, then ask for buck for next version. Get people used to your mod, then fidelize them. It's really difficult to pay for a mod.

PS : you could still catch some whales...

3.80 star(s) 6 Votes