VN Ren'Py Straight!? [Revamp v0.10.1] [Aaryn]

4.90 star(s) 49 Votes

donorys

Mar 26, 2019
appreciate the support and i'm glad yall enjoyed the story. very much a weird exchange that still doesn't make any sense to me but that's alright. the story isn't for everyone and there's no way i'm going to force someone into reading it when they've already made their mind up about it (especially if they play the older version because the beginning sucks, lol). It doesn't change my focus and i'll confirm that i'm still working on the project and have no intention of abandoning it.
While the beginning in the old version can be quite slow and repetitive, I like how it allows me to explore all conversation topics. I haven't played the new version, but I've been wondering if these optional conversation topics are still included?

Also, being a game developer/writer must be really tough. I'm impressed with how patient you are. Well developed and written game especially must take a very long time to complete, so I hope you still take some time for yourself though~

Reactions: mortimerX and Aaryn

Aaryn

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
While the beginning in the old version can be quite slow and repetitive, I like how it allows me to explore all conversation topics. I haven't played the new version, but I've been wondering if these optional conversation topics are still included?

Also, being a game developer/writer must be really tough. I'm impressed with how patient you are. Well developed and written game especially must take a very long time to complete, so I hope you still take some time for yourself though~
heya :) So i may give you a longer answer than you intended here but hopefully it'll answer everything. The original version had that grindy kinda feel to it. back when i started in 2017 that's how most of these games were. they were stat based and you had to keep doing the same event over and over to get points to unlock the next tier. since i'd never written anything before, i figured i'd make my story event based versus heavy writing based but quickly figured out that i liked dialogue and conversations more than i actually liked events (completely didn't see that coming). i got some pretty harsh feedback early on where a guy told me i was a better writer than a coder and i should stick to my strength. So in time, i moved completely away from the repeated grindy portion of the game.

With the revamp, I believe that ever original conversation is still in there somewhere so far. I have taken some of them and smashed them together. So some events were random conversations but they had a lot in common so rather than have 2 similar conversations, you just have one more complete conversation about a certain topic now. the goal on the revamp was to keep the overwhelming majority of what was in the original-- flaws and all. This story was a learning experience for me and i didn't want to lose that when it was finished-- even if that made it inferior to what it could have been. So now you dont have to actually run through multiple things, you can get the majority of things the first time. However, the revamp does have more choices for navigation. So if you wanna go clean the shower in the morning or go to the bathroom, you get those events. if you dont like those events (say you're opposed to conversations at the urinal, you can easily skip those and it doesn't impact the overall story.

In terms of game development being hard: I guess it can be. I will say it's difficult for me. I'm a psych major and when I started this project back in 2017, i can honestly say there is not one skill that I needed to do this that I already had. I literally didn't know how to do anything. I didn't know coding, writing, or 3D art (i used to draw in school but that was it), i've also never recorded or streamed before (which is a new thing that people had asked for). i've never run my own business or marketed anything. i've never made a website or really interacted with the public on a public relations sorta relationship. Legit didn't know shit so learning all of that takes time. i had to google every single thing i've done or watch a video. How do i make a menu? I'd watch videos. How do i make a click sound when you mouse over? Watch more videos or scour forums. I can easily make progress on the writing part only to be slowed down by having to learn an entirely new profession like 3Dart or navigate 5 or 6 different programs that i'd never seen before in my life. i think that's why i'm so adamant that you can't do this thing for someone else. at the end of the day, you're the one spending thousands of hours doing exciting things but also the boring mundane things for the project. I can watch a movie or play another game and see hundreds or thousands of employees on the credits and i'm like holy fuck... what could i make with that many people? I think the reason most games get abandoned is because people see a couple popular game devs raking in 6 figures and they want that easy money but they dont realize how much work that can be-- at least if you've never done it before. it's not an intuitive process for me although i've been getting faster during the revamp. you gotta do it for you. you have to be able to ignore long days or not personalize shitty reviews and just keep doing your thing because you believe in it. and as dumb as it sounds to say, i think you need less breaks when you're working on something you believe in. but yeah, i do take breaks-- more now than i used to. The early game was rough, i was a full-time grad school student and was working 3 jobs plus this. Now i'm just doing this and things are better :p

Aaryn

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
If you're not over on my new IG page, I just dropped an early access teaser for what's coming next over there yesterday. Not a new project yet but a lot of people have been asking for it over the years. This is the first of several teasers.

Moosica

Dec 7, 2021
I would do the new version of the game once it's finished.
Thank you Aaryn for the time and work it gives you.
I especially appreciate everything you do. (y)

• Red Heart
Reactions: Aaryn

blackpegasus

Jan 8, 2018
Straight-0.7.2
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
rpdl torrents are unaffiliated with F95Zone and the game developer.
Please note that we do not provide support for games.
For torrent-related issues use here, or join us on !
, . Downloading issues? Look here.

We're doing a funding run! !​

Aaryn

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
I would do the new version of the game once it's finished.
Thank you Aaryn for the time and work it gives you.
I especially appreciate everything you do. (y)
no worries at all. thanks for keeping up with the project :)

renektonzqg

Mar 15, 2022
I very like this game. Would you so kind to translate the text into chinese version? I would appreciate you if you can do that.

Aaryn

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
I very like this game. Would you so kind to translate the text into chinese version? I would appreciate you if you can do that.
so i've began discussing translation options on my discord. the translations will likely be done by fans and we'll oversee the process using the discord. however, i'm going to really limit the translations to start with (mostly because idk what i'm doing and we're not exactly sure how to go about doing it). we would only be doing the revamp as well since the revamp will replace the original version. however, that kinda got put on hold but i'm gonna be looking at it again in the very near future.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Moosica

Moosica

Dec 7, 2021
I would also like to see in the options if possible the French translation.
This game is wonderful and it would be really great to have the translation in my mother tongue.
Thanks “Aaryn”. I know you will do your best.

Aaryn

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
I would also like to see in the options if possible the French translation.
This game is wonderful and it would be really great to have the translation in my mother tongue.
Thanks “Aaryn”. I know you will do your best.
so if you're not on the discord, i basically just did an all-call to see who was interested in helping with translations and i got a ton of people... aaaaaaand a ton of languages. honestly it was pretty overwhelming to see people, knowing how fucking long this story is, willing to help out and try to translate that into their own languages. that being said, i'm gonna have to pick a few practice ones to start with and those practice ones will likely be either based on anticipated demand (there's no science to this, it's just me trying to figure out in the past how popular that language request has been-- remember i'm new at this) plus how many people we have that are able to translate it. that being said, french was on the list and we had several people willing to help

Moosica

Dec 7, 2021
so if you're not on the discord, i basically just did an all-call to see who was interested in helping with translations and i got a ton of people... aaaaaaand a ton of languages. honestly it was pretty overwhelming to see people, knowing how fucking long this story is, willing to help out and try to translate that into their own languages. that being said, i'm gonna have to pick a few practice ones to start with and those practice ones will likely be either based on anticipated demand (there's no science to this, it's just me trying to figure out in the past how popular that language request has been-- remember i'm new at this) plus how many people we have that are able to translate it. that being said, french was on the list and we had several people willing to help
Thanks for responding Aaryn.
Happy to know that French is provided in translation, it touches me because this game is a real marvel for me and knowing it translated into my language is a real joy.

4.90 star(s) 49 Votes