VN Ren'Py Straight!? [Revamp v0.10.1] [Aaryn]

4.90 star(s) 50 Votes

Aaryn

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
What's the word on this now that the holiday's are over?
Released v0.4 on Jan 2. If you go to my Patreon page, there's a post I did about the changes that are included in the new update . I'll post the new update on here in a couple of weeks. Game is still going...did some major changes in v0.4 though. If anyone on here has played the new version, please leave feedback here or on the Patreon site. It seems well-received so far but I really haven't heard many details from a lot of people yet.

Reactions: random313

Rampulla

Apr 30, 2017
Hi Aaryn, I really like your game and I haven't tried the last version yet. I think that the low pace in this game brings more realism to it. And so far I think that now one can say that the game has plot holes, at least to me it doesn't. So keep up the good work.
I just have a doubt, in the beginning it has any different outcome if we tell our roomate the truth about the main character being gay or not?

Reactions: Aaryn and random313

Aaryn

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
Hi Aaryn, I really like your game and I haven't tried the last version yet. I think that the low pace in this game brings more realism to it. And so far I think that now one can say that the game has plot holes, at least to me it doesn't. So keep up the good work.
I just have a doubt, in the beginning it has any different outcome if we tell our roommate the truth about the main character being gay or not?
Hey Rampulla,
Thanks for the feedback. I'm actually going for a slower pace to the game. My main focus is on dialogue and realistic pace and movement to the relationship between both characters. I'm glad to see you enjoy the pace. In terms of plot holes, I don't think there's much to work with yet that could actually develop into a hole. The newer versions (0.4 and the current build I'm working on, v0.5) are actually adding more dialogue and some random events. Hopefully, you got a chance to read the post I linked in the previous comment regarding those changes. These will hopefully fill in some plot holes or potentially set up some future events as well.

To answer your question, there's no difference in the dialogue in the beginning. You don't have much of a choice to tell Braden you're gay. If you avoid it, he calls you out for being evasive. Thus, it's a forced choice but I put the option in, just to give early options and set the stage for the interactions between the 2 characters: they want honesty.

Hammel312

Jan 3, 2018
Hey Aaryn,

are you looking for a translator for your game? I'd love to help to translate the game into German. Even my English isn't that great I'm able to understand nearly everything so there shouldn't be any problems to translate your texts into German.
P.S.: I don't want anything for it.

Greetings

Hammel

Aaryn

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
Hey Aaryn,

are you looking for a translator for your game? I'd love to help to translate the game into German. Even my English isn't that great I'm able to understand nearly everything so there shouldn't be any problems to translate your texts into German.
P.S.: I don't want anything for it.

Greetings

Hammel
Hey Hammel,
Thanks for the interest. I gave this some thought and I'm not sure how much extra work it would be on my end to do the actual coding for the translation. I have a pretty crazy schedule and I'm lucky to get my actual game updates done. My concern would be adding another task to each version. My other concern is this: my writing is very slang. I wonder how the Americanized slang dialect would translate into German--or any other language for that matter. Thoughts?

Hammel312

Jan 3, 2018
Hey Hammel,
Thanks for the interest. I gave this some thought and I'm not sure how much extra work it would be on my end to do the actual coding for the translation. I have a pretty crazy schedule and I'm lucky to get my actual game updates done. My concern would be adding another task to each version. My other concern is this: my writing is very slang. I wonder how the Americanized slang dialect would translate into German--or any other language for that matter. Thoughts?
That's not that difficult! Today we are writing and most of the time we are speaking in "High German" but there are a lot of different dialects. In Cologne they are speaking Colognian, in Munich the Bavarian language and most of the time you aren't able to understand them. My dialect is more Dutch than German. But you are still able to abbreviate words (eine = 'ne) or use a slang (Nein= Nö) or use some popular Englisch words (Okay, yes, fuck you e.g.)
BTW: German has a lot of disadvantages (very complex, 3 grammatical genders e.g.) but also one big advantage: You just need to line up some words to create a new one and every German speaker is able to to understand it. Maybe you use some German words, too?! Like "kindergarten" (childs + garden) or "schadenfreude" (harm + fun) just think about someone would talk about "harm-fun". Maybe it's impossible to translate it verbatim but the contents is more important in my opinion.

Amun_ra

Oct 1, 2017
Hey Hammel,
I can do french translation

Traban16

Dec 21, 2017
Great game so far. It has a little more heart to its conversations than most of these adult games, so I feel the creator has that talent for story-telling and character interaction. However, I would like to see a bit more of the ADULT theme pushed when more updates come out. Not a criticism, just an idea to help draw in more people and keep those that want to see the game succeed. The characters seem very real, and the story seems to progress naturally, so the next step is to give a bit more of that "fan service" so to speak in order to give us something to look forward to in future updates. I give this game a 10/10 because while its lacking in "sex, sex, sex" it makes up for it with good characters, good dialogue between those characters (which is a little hard to find in these adult games without sounding robotic) and good story progression.

Nov 13, 2017
Hey Hammel,
i could do italian translation

antoniomoets

Nov 3, 2017
What is "bara" genre?
Bara (薔薇, "rose"), also known as the wasei-eigo construction "Men's Love" , is a Japanese jargon term for a genre of art and fictional media that focuses on male same-sex love, usually created by gay men for a gay audience. Mostly Bara has more of the manly muscular guys versus the smaller guys used in yaoi.

Reactions: Aaryn

Aaryn

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
Great game so far. It has a little more heart to its conversations than most of these adult games, so I feel the creator has that talent for story-telling and character interaction. However, I would like to see a bit more of the ADULT theme pushed when more updates come out. Not a criticism, just an idea to help draw in more people and keep those that want to see the game succeed. The characters seem very real, and the story seems to progress naturally, so the next step is to give a bit more of that "fan service" so to speak in order to give us something to look forward to in future updates. I give this game a 10/10 because while its lacking in "sex, sex, sex" it makes up for it with good characters, good dialogue between those characters (which is a little hard to find in these adult games without sounding robotic) and good story progression.
Hey Traban,
Thanks for the feedback and interest. First, I'm overwhelmed you would give the game a 10/10. I, personally, think it has a looong ways to go before it gets to that point but I'm working on it. I'm glad you enjoy the characters and the dialogue. To hit the erotic points of the story, I wanted a build-up and I want the characters to matter so dialgoue was a priority for me. To answer your question about the "adult" aspect. You'll get a little more in the coming update but still nothing overtly crazy. I agree with you, I'm trying to find that balance in staying true to the progression while still giving "fan service." Thus, you'll see some of the sneaky stuff or different camera angles to give us a peek. If things go according to plan, you'll have more in the next few updates. Essentially, this is a progression--similar to the corruption games but this is more natural progression rather than being malicious.

Is there any walkthrough?
There is a walkthrough that I posted to the $10 tier on the patreon site but I haven't taken steps to make it free yet. I may do that for past updates, though. I hadn't considered that. It's a valid point. IF you get stuck, you can ask on here, too :)

Aaryn

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
I can do french translation
i could do italian translation
Wow, there seems to be quite a bit of interest in translations for the game. My concern is how much work it would take for me to implement these because my schedule is slammed now. I really won't have time to go back through and retype all the dialogue...especially as heavy as this game is with dialogue. Do you guys feel that the slang in the game would actually translate well?

Hammel312

Jan 3, 2018
That would be easy... maybe a high German and a west German slang

Maybe I'll translate some parts and other Germans, Austrian, Swiss, Italian and so on can rate it then

Traban16

Dec 21, 2017
Hey Traban,
Thanks for the feedback and interest. First, I'm overwhelmed you would give the game a 10/10. I, personally, think it has a looong ways to go before it gets to that point but I'm working on it. I'm glad you enjoy the characters and the dialogue. To hit the erotic points of the story, I wanted a build-up and I want the characters to matter so dialgoue was a priority for me. To answer your question about the "adult" aspect. You'll get a little more in the coming update but still nothing overtly crazy. I agree with you, I'm trying to find that balance in staying true to the progression while still giving "fan service." Thus, you'll see some of the sneaky stuff or different camera angles to give us a peek. If things go according to plan, you'll have more in the next few updates. Essentially, this is a progression--similar to the corruption games but this is more natural progression rather than being malicious.

There is a walkthrough that I posted to the $10 tier on the patreon site but I haven't taken steps to make it free yet. I may do that for past updates, though. I hadn't considered that. It's a valid point. IF you get stuck, you can ask on here, too :)
I really enjoyed the latest update to the game, as it shows just how comfortable the love interest is growing with the MC. And I smile evilly at the doctor's exam room scene because that is the "corruption" I like to see in progression-based games such as this. Glad that things are starting to pick up without it taking hours of grinding. This game feels way more natural in flow than any of those games where you are spending so much time trying to grind for those "points" that you tune out the gameplay almost entirely until you get to the scenes you want. Your point system was not even close to being as bad as others, trust me.

As for a walkthrough... Now that makes me worried that I might have missed something without ever knowing about it. LoL!

Aaryn

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
I really enjoyed the latest update to the game, as it shows just how comfortable the love interest is growing with the MC. And I smile evilly at the doctor's exam room scene because that is the "corruption" I like to see in progression-based games such as this. Glad that things are starting to pick up without it taking hours of grinding. This game feels way more natural in flow than any of those games where you are spending so much time trying to grind for those "points" that you tune out the gameplay almost entirely until you get to the scenes you want. Your point system was not even close to being as bad as others, trust me.

As for a walkthrough... Now that makes me worried that I might have missed something without ever knowing about it. LoL!
I appreciate the feedback. Originally, I implemented the grind system because honestly, it seems that's where the majority of the adult games are. Leafing through a majority of the fan-made adult games on this site, a ton of them grind. While people bitch about it, the developers are making a ton of cash on their Patreons--so obviously people are ok with it. I didn't think my system was that bad, as you stated, but the fans weren't really feeling it. My initial fear was that things would move too quickly. I wanted each update to take a little bit to actually play through since it takes me at least a month to develop it. Without the grinding, I feared it would be a quick play and nothing else. However, after I made the change and removed the grind, I liked it a lot better. I feel like I can still try and simulate time through dialogue. Feedback on another site suggested I "play to my strengths" which is certainly the writing over the programming. Thanks for checking in and giving me your thoughts.

As for the walkthrough, honestly, you probably aren't missing much. The game is still somewhat linear. The only thing the walkthrough would probably help on it getting you to progress quicker through the game. For example, if you started at the beginning and wanted to push back through to a certain spot. Honestly, if you want to see all the content, you're best just kinda exploring as you go and stumbling across things. The v04 update has random dialogue added during reguar events. So when you click "watch tv" there's 2 possible things that could randomly happen. These don't impact the story but it's extra dialogue sometimes. For example, they may talk about something different or watch a different show. Some events are better than others but you're not missing anything huge...just more character development/insight.

You also mention the "corruption" in the game. This is a fine line I'm walking. Because there is somewhat of a corruption feel to the story but I don't want overt corruption. You can do some sleezy stuff (nighttime activities or random spying stuff) but nothing too crazy. While it will have the progression we normally see in corruption games, I didn't want the MC to come across as too creepy by purposely corrupting Braden. In fact, some corruption events we've seen, he's actually somewhat guilty about. He's supposed to be kindof a mix of a lot of different personalities. I wanted there to be something in him that most everyone could relate to at one point. However, an actual "corruption" storyline would suggest he will take advantage of Braden. The intent behind the "corruption" progress will be a lot different here.

Reactions: Hammel312
4.90 star(s) 50 Votes