sam1234567

May 5, 2018
Okay.
Here is an OpenGl version of the latest build:
I hope it works for you because if it does, it may work for others as well.

I'm beginning to question my choice in engine :confused:

Cheers - Kaffekop
tried this and it worked just fine even found out your title screen was not just a black screen all problems seem to disappear except for the load time between the unity logo and the profile screen

Kaffekop

Game Developer
Jul 23, 2017
Yep Ren'Py would have been better.
Yeah, you're not the only one who thinks that. Maybe I ought to take a step back and reevaluate my choices so far and before this project gets any bigger than it already is.

tried this and it worked just fine even found out your title screen was not just a black screen all problems seem to disappear except for the load time between the unity logo and the profile screen
Happy that it worked for you.
That loading time is a bitch and it will only get bigger, the more updates I release.
I need to find a way around that, somehow.

Anyways, thanks for playing.

Cheers - Kaffekop

Reactions: Penfold Mole

lockhear

Engaged Member
Oct 10, 2017
Yeah, you're not the only one who thinks that. Maybe I ought to take a step back and reevaluate my choices so far and before this project gets any bigger than it already is.
Good decision. I am looking forward for tonight evening first renpy beta :HeyGuys:

Kaffekop

Game Developer
Jul 23, 2017
Good decision. I am looking forward for tonight evening first renpy beta :HeyGuys:
Yeah, that will take a little more work, but I have grown confident over the last few days, that I can do this. Despite my shortcomings in the "coding department".

@Kaffekop Do what you think is best ofc
Thank you, and I will ... I have. I'll be going down the Ren'py route, so I'm abandoning Unity, which should make the game less taxing on older computers.

@wep

Could you not disable the links to the game, so people wont be able to play the Unity version of the game? It seems counterproductive to first play it in Unity and fight with all the issues, just to have to replay it in Ren'Py.
And maybe add a small description about the game being ported to Ren'Py as well?
Thanks in advance.

Cheers - Kaffekop

Ignatz

What's the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow
Donor
Feb 17, 2018
Okay, your dreams are about to come true....although it make take a bit. Here's a more fulsome explanation from someone more important than me:
(This is a responsible dev, you might consider supporting this rare example of good faith)

Hello everyone.

I guess it’s time for an update about what is going on at the moment.

0.05 is coming along nicely, and words are once again flowing from my mind to Word in an orderly fashion. That’s the good news, and now for something a little more … meh …

When I began the journey of development, more than a year ago, I tried my hands on a few different engines, as some of you might know. I settled on Unity and a certain asset because it had a very visual way of doing things, and I’m a very visually oriented guy when it comes to these things – coding was not for me.

As Sins of the father is growing in size I have come to realize, that Unity does things in certain ways and that it is not very friendly when it comes to older computers. With the newest update to the Unity engine, they simply ceased to support anything related to DX9 for example.

I want my works to be available to as many people as possible with as few problems as possible, but I have to admit, that Unity has proven to be a rather difficult beast to tame completely.

In lieu of that I have decided, much to my chagrin, to discard Unity all together and remake Sins of the father, in Ren’py. I know some of you will be annoyed by this, and others will go: “it’s about fucking time!”, but I believe that it’s the best course of action in the long run.

What does this mean?

Well, for starters, it means that this month will be free of charge while I work my way through porting the game once more. Hopefully that will be done sometime in July, but we will cross that bridge when we get there.

There will also be changes to the way the story is flowing and to the way it is being told, but you’ll see what I mean, when I begin releasing the different updates.

This also means that I'll be removing all the links to previous versions of Sins of the father.

That’s all for now. Thank you for reading and thank you for playing and thank you for your support.

Cheers - Kaffekop

wep

Respected User
Former Staff
Aug 16, 2016
Could you not disable the links to the game, so people wont be able to play the Unity version of the game? It seems counterproductive to first play it in Unity and fight with all the issues, just to have to replay it in Ren'Py.
And maybe add a small description about the game being ported to Ren'Py as well?
Thanks in advance.

Cheers - Kaffekop
Emh I suppose the first sentence should be "could you disable...."
I'm not doing it, BUT I'm placing a REAL BIG warning and the small description so people will be aware of your plans and they can decide what they prefer to do. Always the best choice IMHO.

what do you think about the message?

WARNING:
due the use of UNITY as engine the game is really demanding and you can have several issues if you play it on old computer/ WIN 32 bit/ MAC OS.
Kaffekop is porting the game in renpy to address all these issues.
He STRONGLY suggests to wait for the new release with renpy.
I'm leaving the old UNITY version here if you want to try it.
HOWEVER DON'T COMPLAIN/ASK THE DEV ABOUT ANY TECHNICAL PROBLEMS WITH THIS UNITY VERSION.
YOUR POST WILL BE IGNORED AND DELETED

Kaffekop

Game Developer
Jul 23, 2017
Emh I suppose the first sentence should be "could you disable...."
I'm not doing it, BUT I'm placing a REAL BIG warning and the small description so people will be aware of your plans and they can decide what they prefer to do. Always the best choice IMHO.

what do you think about the message?

WARNING:
due the use of UNITY as engine the game is really demanding and you can have several issues if you play it on old computer/ WIN 32 bit/ MAC OS.
Kaffekop is porting the game in renpy to address all these issues.
He STRONGLY suggests to wait for the new release with renpy.
I'm leaving the old UNITY version here if you want to try it.
HOWEVER DON'T COMPLAIN/ASK THE DEV ABOUT ANY TECHNICAL PROBLEMS WITH THIS UNITY VERSION.
YOUR POST WILL BE IGNORED AND DELETED
Thank you and that is indeed a great warning. Much appreciated.

Cheers - Kaffekop

Summer Love

Jul 5, 2017
Is there something i'm missing about the game? Like I looked at the cg's and there are scenes I didn't even think was possible to reach in the current builds. Are they dependent on the stats of each individual character?

JohnJG

Engaged Member
May 17, 2018
I look forward to seeing this when it returns in Ren’Py. I frustratingly can’t open it in either Mac OS or Win.

Secret09

Oct 20, 2017
guys i think the DL are broken, the ones on MEGA, i tried clicking both 64 and 32 versions but my browser states that the files have been moved or erased

kiteares

Nov 15, 2017
guys i think the DL are broken, the ones on MEGA, i tried clicking both 64 and 32 versions but my browser states that the files have been moved or erased
Don't know if the mega links are on @Kaffekop account, if so reading through the last couple of pages would have given you a clue.
They wanted all the links taken down to stop people downloading the unity version as they have decided to move the game to Ren Py (\o/) to solve issues some people are having. The by-product will hopefully be a better experience for all.
Are any of the other links working?

Secret09

Oct 20, 2017
Don't know if the mega links are on @Kaffekop account, if so reading through the last couple of pages would have given you a clue.
They wanted all the links taken down to stop people downloading the unity version as they have decided to move the game to Ren Py (\o/) to solve issues some people are having. The by-product will hopefully be a better experience for all.
Are any of the other links working?
thanks man, I did read about those, and also tried the other links, I thought that maybe it could've been ported already to RenPy, sorry my bad (BTW, the other links didnt load, dont know why, which is why I choose MEGA coz it DL much faster for me

Reactions: kiteares

Five5

Mar 19, 2018
Apologize for my ignorance, but I do not have much time to read everything. Will there be an update this week or month?

4.10 star(s) 66 Votes