Ren'Py Shag the Hag 2 (Game Development Thread)

L8ERALgames

Game Developer
Apr 23, 2019
Will the game be aviable on Steam or GOG when it's finished?
i'm honestly not sure on that. a couple of the assets i've used at the moment are unclear on if they can be used in adult games. one of the big challenges is getting decent sound/music/font/ui which are actually okay for adult games. i try to be clear on them and may switch them out if i can find better, but i don't want to risk getting sued for using assets with unclear usage rights.

it's okay when we do it on "free" games, but when you sell a game it's got different rules.

StephanieD

Jan 16, 2023
reading the thread, you'd see i got a fair bit in and patreon pinged me for the characters being too toony that they looked younger than they are.

i raged and instead worked on other games/comics for a bit.

have since restarted and rebuilt the game from the ground up.

in the past week, i did the following:
  • re-did the code for the bakery shop so now all items buy/sell with more efficient code making it easier to scale up if i want to add items to the store
  • started building code for the fishing mini-game which will allow the player to collect fish for an achievement, collect fish to sell, and open up sexy times with a river naiad
  • re-coded how i deal with random dialogue to make it easier to give more varied options in certain circumstances to provide greater replayability
it's also taking so long because there's no way in hell i'm releasing this half-finished. not making that mistake again.

finally, this isn't my day job. i have a day job. multiple day jobs. sometimes weekend jobs. a guy's gotta eat, and my work barely pays for the assets i buy. doesn't even pay for the coke i drink, if i'm honest. edit: i made more money from tax refunds than from the game.

so, i work on it when i can.

i think the bigger problem is people have a high level of entitlement and a misconception involving how much money i make with my games. i also think a large majority of people on this platform at least feel they don't have to pay creators anything because we should somehow feel grateful our work was downloaded in the first place. if you think about it that way, you'll see why so many games are abandoned here midway through their creation.

when devs have to work harder at their day jobs, they soon lose either motivation or time to update their games or work on their comics or whatever.

sure, a few *coughmilfycitycough* games can't use that as an excuse, but these are rare. very rare. the majority of devs are making fuck all because the majority of people downloading our work don't care enough to fling us a few cents.

seriously, bums on the street earn more than me if i judge by what's in their hats when i walk past them on the way to work.

whinge done, at the end of the day i make this game and my comics and other games simply because i LIKE to. sure, i'd love to do it for a living, but i've given up on that daydream.

final edit: that wasn't a whinge aimed at you, StephanieD - just a generic whinge in response to the question. :)
Thank you for letting us know.

Reactions: L8ERALgames

Morgan42

Oct 9, 2019
reading the thread, you'd see i got a fair bit in and patreon pinged me for the characters being too toony that they looked younger than they are.

i raged and instead worked on other games/comics for a bit.

have since restarted and rebuilt the game from the ground up.

in the past week, i did the following:
  • re-did the code for the bakery shop so now all items buy/sell with more efficient code making it easier to scale up if i want to add items to the store
  • started building code for the fishing mini-game which will allow the player to collect fish for an achievement, collect fish to sell, and open up sexy times with a river naiad
  • re-coded how i deal with random dialogue to make it easier to give more varied options in certain circumstances to provide greater replayability
it's also taking so long because there's no way in hell i'm releasing this half-finished. not making that mistake again.

finally, this isn't my day job. i have a day job. multiple day jobs. sometimes weekend jobs. a guy's gotta eat, and my work barely pays for the assets i buy. doesn't even pay for the coke i drink, if i'm honest. edit: i made more money from tax refunds than from the game.

so, i work on it when i can.

i think the bigger problem is people have a high level of entitlement and a misconception involving how much money i make with my games. i also think a large majority of people on this platform at least feel they don't have to pay creators anything because we should somehow feel grateful our work was downloaded in the first place. if you think about it that way, you'll see why so many games are abandoned here midway through their creation.

when devs have to work harder at their day jobs, they soon lose either motivation or time to update their games or work on their comics or whatever.

sure, a few *coughmilfycitycough* games can't use that as an excuse, but these are rare. very rare. the majority of devs are making fuck all because the majority of people downloading our work don't care enough to fling us a few cents.

seriously, bums on the street earn more than me if i judge by what's in their hats when i walk past them on the way to work.

whinge done, at the end of the day i make this game and my comics and other games simply because i LIKE to. sure, i'd love to do it for a living, but i've given up on that daydream.

final edit: that wasn't a whinge aimed at you, StephanieD - just a generic whinge in response to the question. :)
The other thing is that I don't think people really understand the work and time that goes into making a game.

I tried, really really hard, but between having to learn coding (especially with the monstrosities they pass off as tutorials), rendering, scope creep and my real job, it was impossible for me to even come close to making the kind of game I wanted before my computer finally bit the dust. Now that I have a new computer, even with a 4090 I'm considering whether or not I even want to try with the headache again.

It's really difficult. It becomes a little bit easier once you have the groundwork in place and have a framework where you can just add renders and move variables forward when you need to, but it's extremely time consuming. Even just the renders, the amount of postwork I was doing was ridiculous on every single fucking render.

It's hard. And then you remember that you're doing it all by yourself.

It sucks but I get it now.

L8ERALgames

Game Developer
Apr 23, 2019
The other thing is that I don't think people really understand the work and time that goes into making a game.

I tried, really really hard, but between having to learn coding (especially with the monstrosities they pass off as tutorials), rendering, scope creep and my real job, it was impossible for me to even come close to making the kind of game I wanted before my computer finally bit the dust. Now that I have a new computer, even with a 4090 I'm considering whether or not I even want to try with the headache again.

It's really difficult. It becomes a little bit easier once you have the groundwork in place and have a framework where you can just add renders and move variables forward when you need to, but it's extremely time consuming. Even just the renders, the amount of postwork I was doing was ridiculous on every single fucking render.

It's hard. And then you remember that you're doing it all by yourself.

It sucks but I get it now.
not sure if it's worth doing unless you like doing it.

if you do, you'll need a thick skin and a cupboard full of noodles.

L8ERALgames

Game Developer
Apr 23, 2019
today, i implemented a small feature into STH2 which will allow you to specify a small folder on your pc which you can fill with music and ren'py will play those in the background.

this saves me scrounging up music files and stops people from crying at me in forums about how they hate my musical taste...

so, start collecting your tim burton soundtracks!

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
today, i implemented a small feature into STH2 which will allow you to specify a small folder on your pc which you can fill with music and ren'py will play those in the background.

this saves me scrounging up music files and stops people from crying at me in forums about how they hate my musical taste...

so, start collecting your tim burton soundtracks!
Danny Elfman is a genius... just like Ivan Reitman. Hasta la vista, baby.

Reactions: L8ERALgames

L8ERALgames

Game Developer
Apr 23, 2019
1696850826185.png

i now need to add some options in-game so you can skip to the next track, pause the music, or stop it...

Reactions: atomicp

atomicp

Feb 25, 2018
TBH, l8...

I think this solution is 1000 times better than devs not finishing games because they can't find the perfect playlist for every event. At least two games I follow are stuck in a limbo because of that.

L8ERALgames

Game Developer
Apr 23, 2019
TBH, l8...

I think this solution is 1000 times better than devs not finishing games because they can't find the perfect playlist for every event. At least two games I follow are stuck in a limbo because of that.
yah, this game only feels stuck in limbo. it's actually not. :)

i'll add sound effects, though, i think. still trying to decide if i'll go with AI voices, too. some of those are eerily good now, and in a few months will only be infinitely better.

my only big hurdle will be animations... do i add them or not? will depend a little on a few things.

g659039

Apr 10, 2018
i'll add sound effects, though, i think. still trying to decide if i'll go with AI voices, too. some of those are eerily good now, and in a few months will only be infinitely better.
Do you know any AI voice generator that allows you to freely set emotions for a given sentence? Because I haven't found a single one like that.
And those that generate voice based on your voice are useless unless you have a perfect voice tone and a top microphone.
And they almost always sound the same, male, male with base, old male, women, girl, old women, british.

Last edited:

L8ERALgames

Game Developer
Apr 23, 2019
Do you know any AI voice generator that allows you to freely set emotions for a given sentence? Because I haven't found a single one like that.
And those that generate voice based on your voice are useless unless you have a perfect voice tone and a top microphone.
And they almost always sound the same, male, male with base, old male, women, girl, old women, british.
i haven't yet done it myself but i've installed local versions of AI for both art and chat on my pc, so I'd probably do the same for the voice eventually. you can get some where you can define the tone etc. or have the AI in the chat version make the tone for a text to speech model (some of those are getting good with this).

you can get a lot of voice fonts around the traps, though some might be... questionably legal. there's also some AI tools for speech which will allow you to make a voice font from sourced files of yoru own, but you need some good source files.

• Angry
Reactions: sniff3005

Griff83

Feb 20, 2018
...you need some good source files.
Video games have what you're looking for. Skyrim, for example, has enough voice files that people have been able to use the samples for AI voices for a mod that makes the NPC's react to things you say to them, and have full on conversations (that mod is wild).

Fully voiced games will probably be your best bet, not sure how to go about taking the voices out though. Maybe play through them and record the conversations?

(BG3 in particular has TONS of dialogue and pretty varied voice actresses. EDIT: Minthara's voice would be great for a Hag)

sniff3005

Oct 12, 2016
I am hoping the sequel can be out for Halloween this year =)

EDIT: NOPE :'(

Last edited: