QSP Abandoned Saint Petersburg Adventures [v1.02 test] [toolkitxx]

3.00 star(s) 3 Votes

Sieker

Aug 17, 2018
What is QSP in this context? The only thing I remember with that acronym is that variable that tells you the concentration of a ionic compound dissolved in a solution.

Reactions: toolkitxx

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
Only 64-bit?
Do you plan to make version for 32-bit?
I dont make the player but i am almost certain there wont be any 32-bit versions anymore.

@Sieker
What is QSP in this context? The only thing I remember with that acronym is that variable that tells you the concentration of a ionic compound dissolved in a solution.
Dont even go there - this will get confusing :) QSP or QuestSoftPlayer which is both the language and the player

Sunshine999

Oct 5, 2017
edit the bat-file and remove the html5-section including the quotes and try again pls

Noted and as said before: There is a good reason for this that extends beyond just the user side.
If the users tell you the interface isn't working out for them., that is valuable feedback, you should take in consideration doing something about navigation.

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
If the users tell you the interface isn't working out for them., that is valuable feedback, you should take in consideration doing something about navigation.
That's what the 'noted' is for. Despite what some users think not everything can be done easily without breaking a lot of other things. This is not a project that just started due to a weekend idea but a result of month-long intensive work with the abilities of both language and qsp-player in mind.

Sin-X

God of Death
Donor
Apr 30, 2017
Correct. The next update wont take that much time and will include those clipped parts again.

Fair enough while i personnally don't see the point of uploading a game when there's practically nothing to do, each to there own.

Might i suggest that in future you add at the very least a pop up/alert box to notify the player (No further content for the time being.) where the content comes to an end. I pretty much wasted 20 mins trying to move forward when there was nothing left to find.

I will check back in future updates when there is more to see, good luck with your game :)

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
Fair enough while i personnally don't see the point of uploading a game when there's practically nothing to do, each to there own.

Might i suggest that in future you add at the very least a pop up/alert box to notify the player (No further content for the time being.) where the content comes to an end. I pretty much wasted 20 mins trying to move forward when there was nothing left to find.

I will check back in future updates when there is more to see, good luck with your game :)
Thanks for your feedback. I thought about a way to do that actually but since this is not a linear novel but an RPG i couldnt find an easy way to solve that as i cant control where the user is and what the user does. But i will add something...

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
How do you meet Dr Ilyin in the waiting room? They never show up for me.
As said earlier: A last minute bug made me cut the part of the intro quest with the doctor. About to upload the fixed version later today.

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
Thanks, the new CSS definitely helps.
I'm running 3440x1440
If you dont mind - would you play around a bit with the font setting via the player and let me know how it looks on your end with a few different settings? You have such a nice big resolution i dont have a tester for - would be grateful for that!

lifesuckz69

Mar 5, 2017
since you said you are old fashioned with naming your version numbers, you should probably name it 0.1, cause 1.0 traditionally means finished release.

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
since you said you are old fashioned with naming your version numbers, you should probably name it 0.1, cause 1.0 traditionally means finished release.
That is modern and not tradionally. Quote'Some systems use numerical versions less than 1 (such as 0.9), to suggest their approach toward a final "1.0" release. This is a common convention in . However, if the pre-release version is for an existing software package (e.g. version 2.5), then an "a" or "alpha" may be appended to the version number. So the alpha version of the 2.5 release might be identified as 2.5a or 2.5.a. '

I am from an age where there wasnt any open source on the horizon at all. I gave a clear idea how i number the versions as info not to discuss if it was smart or right. Its just as it is so people can follow along.

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
Updated to the fixed version which means the intro quest is now fully playable. Sorry for the confusion guys.

3xpurt

Feb 25, 2017
More QSP sandbox games are definitely needed. Love them. While most QSP sandbox games are quite dated and similar in their navigation, they are so because it's simple and can be done via mouse and keyboard, and done quickly through many repetitions. Your interface looks pretty, and modern, but it's painful to use. Navigating a game world through context menus is just frustrating, and it doubles the amount of clicking you need to do just to get somewhere. Provincial girl suffers from the same problem now they use a map to navigate. Once players get into a game, and replay numerous times, they like to get through certain content as quick as possible, with as few clicks as possible.

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
More QSP sandbox games are definitely needed. Love them. While most QSP sandbox games are quite dated and similar in their navigation, they are so because it's simple and can be done via mouse and keyboard, and done quickly through many repetitions. Your interface looks pretty, and modern, but it's painful to use. Navigating a game world through context menus is just frustrating, and it doubles the amount of clicking you need to do just to get somewhere. Provincial girl suffers from the same problem now they use a map to navigate. Once players get into a game, and replay numerous times, they like to get through certain content as quick as possible, with as few clicks as possible.
Well said and also describes something technical in the background that is hard to overcome unless one completely ignores the advantages of using qsp as base. I have been testing several solutions and will continue to find more ways but some things are just not that easy to do as in other languages while others are simply very powerful in qsp. The easy technical solution would be to drop all qsp related connections and use a side-navigation purely based on html and css. A nightmare to maintain. Sticking to pure qsp ways will mean that the simple keyboard-only navigation will also fail everytime there are more than 9 actions at a time (there is no keyboard shortcut for 10 or above). One could create an entire extra framework or modify the qsp base to overcome that . All those options are outside of my scope both time wise and with the base idea of maintainable code in mind.

P.S. There is by the way no need to click even with my menu system. Regular arrow keys will move up and down too and enter will select the highlighted option.

lilyp

Dec 17, 2017
So...
Some feedback

1. The UI is broken for me. Does not look like in the screenshots. As if no formatting was done.
2. Alarm app isnt clickable.
3. Next day at school, error on interaction with students and nothing to do.
4. Overall location navigation is more than tedious. I understand that you're proud with "the code" being scale-able and in 1 place, but if the concept is bad... then it doesnt matter how optimized it is.

I see a lot of pictures and etc in the folders, so i assume the game has content (question mark) ??
This looks more like a proof of concept than an actual game.

Screenshots look very good. Props on that, but that's literally all the "game" can provide (if the formatting actually works for people).

Reactions: B10 and toolkitxx
3.00 star(s) 3 Votes