Mod Ren'Py Abandoned Rogue-like: Evolution - Expanded Mod

4.60 star(s) 9 Votes

spyfoxjm

Nov 1, 2018
Exactly that. It's also the reason as to why things have been moving as slow as a glacier on all the modders ends that try to work with the base game:

It's the single biggest reason why updating the expanded mod (I can only speak for that one, don't know how it is for the other modders) is always a gargantuan task when it comes to getting it to work with the newest version: Every single update Oni puts out changes things on so many fronts that systems you'd expect to be entirely unrelated break inadvertedly and barely anything works anymore. It's not as simple as "merge the mod and make sure it runs with the new version", no, the game is such a tangled mess of code that it basically requires a complete re-write everytime an update rolls around and you want to get it to run.

The devs of the expanded mod are working on things, but when something will come to fruition out of that is entirely up in the stars as sadly as it sounds.
I thought this mod was dead since I hadn't seen an update in so long, but I'm glad to hear it at least hasn't completely scraped and forgotten.

Considering that Oni breaks his own game with every major update, then slowly patches it over the next several updates, calling Oni's code a mess is an understatement.

Considering what the modders have to work with, it's understandable that there haven't been any new developments with the expanded mod in so long.

But now, I can't help but wonder...
If you basically have to rewrite the entire game just to make a mod for it, wouldn't it be easier to just do the same thing but better?
It sounds like the modders are more competent coders than Oni is, so I'm surprised no one has just said "Fuck it!" And made their own version of Oni's game.

Maybe use Rogue Like Evolution as a reference for what content to include, then cut out the middle man (Oni) and make a better version?

I know that it is far easier said than done, but given how well received Rogue Like Evolution has been, I'm surprised Oni doesn't have more competition.

Zekkentet

Nov 5, 2020
I thought this mod was dead since I hadn't seen an update in so long, but I'm glad to hear it at least hasn't completely scraped and forgotten.

Considering that Oni breaks his own game with every major update, then slowly patches it over the next several updates, calling Oni's code a mess is an understatement.

Considering what the modders have to work with, it's understandable that there haven't been any new developments with the expanded mod in so long.

But now, I can't help but wonder...
If you basically have to rewrite the entire game just to make a mod for it, wouldn't it be easier to just do the same thing but better?
It sounds like the modders are more competent coders than Oni is, so I'm surprised no one has just said "Fuck it!" And made their own version of Oni's game.

Maybe use Rogue Like Evolution as a reference for what content to include, then cut out the middle man (Oni) and make a better version?

I know that it is far easier said than done, but given how well received Rogue Like Evolution has been, I'm surprised Oni doesn't have more competition.
If you can just copy and paste game, then everyone in the same industry would be doing the same. Look at what ronchon did he just use rogue-like as a refenrence to his new game.. he can't copy and paste it just like what you want.

Nikolas Bernard

Oct 1, 2021
Ok so I've only recently had issues with Xavier. I have his picture of mystique. Do you have to not be punished? I've even tried starting over to no avail

Pr0man

Jul 23, 2017
If you can just copy and paste game, then everyone in the same industry would be doing the same. Look at what ronchon did he just use rogue-like as a refenrence to his new game.. he can't copy and paste it just like what you want.
"Reference" in that context is a very diplomatic way of saying "copy-paste".
The art was indeed the most striking feature he had and as a result he garnered quite a bit of attention when showing that, but when the first standalone prototype of his project saw the light, it was using quite a lot of Onis code base in several places - this way, it simply felt like a paintjob given over the original RL, with all the problems that entails and thus the support quickly died off.

Ok so I've only recently had issues with Xavier. I have his picture of mystique. Do you have to not be punished? I've even tried starting over to no avail
The picture is used in Kittys plan exclusively and - like all other girls plans - means the girl in question needs to have a certain amount of total stats and level reached before being able to act on that. Don't ask how much though, that I don't remember.

slowpersun

May 30, 2017
Even calling it a hot mess is generous, that code is basically a dumpster in search of a fire... At least he is supposedly getting "help" now.

ddtmm

Jun 5, 2020
there's a lot of random chatter going on for a mod that's been dead for a couple years now lmao

Prezcot

Aug 7, 2019
there's a lot of random chatter going on for a mod that's been dead for a couple years now lmao
Ye but hopefully oni release of version 1 would be enough incentive for them to start up again....honestly using this mod is more enjoyable for me to play the game even before oni's new release just because i love the outfits :) So imma keep my fingers crossed like most others in this thread.

ddtmm

Jun 5, 2020
was a cool mod, so i agree lol. i see the mod maker was active fairly recently so it's good to know they're still around :D

Pr0man

Jul 23, 2017
Even calling it a hot mess is generous, that code is basically a dumpster in search of a fire... At least he is supposedly getting "help" now.
While I'm not certain that this is still ongoing, he indeed received help - in the form of code reviews and guiding suggestions by parts of the Expanded Crew. When the code shifted big time (for Onis standards) in release version 0.991 if I remember that number correctly. That was quite the long while ago. Not been keeping up with how things went after that really.
All that is mattering in that regard is for Oni to follow through on that and not just fall back in creating the same mess he did prior, but I'm not nearly in deep enough to judge where that part even stands.

was a cool mod, so i agree lol. i see the mod maker was active fairly recently so it's good to know they're still around :D
Well, this mod at least isn't just done by a single person, it's a team of people that have been doing it in their free time, but agreed. It's good to see movement of any form.

It wasn't dead they just focusing on their new project it's called "renpy trainer" It helps developer to develop game like these.
Well, I guess it has been both at times - dead and not dead.
The mod isn't simply "cancelled" or "abandoned", that much is true. But the focus does lie on the trainer currently. Though parts of the crew have stated that porting the mod (and what it wants to add) is simply not a feasible solution to pull, when you consider you do this into a basegame that is ever changing and breaking things for modders with every new version, so I can understand the sentiment at least.

PrincessBitchJean

Aug 25, 2017
So, this doesn't work with the newest version?
This is correct. This mod has been more or less abandoned and is several girls behind vanilla (no Storm, Jean, Jubes, Gewnpool cameo, and no option to play as a girl). Also, Mystique is bugged in the versions linked in the OP, so the current/final version of this mod is v0.984h_1 Quarantine Edition provided by LordMerek.

LordMerek

Romance & Redemption Enthusiast
Donor
Aug 22, 2018
This is correct. This mod has been more or less abandoned and is several girls behind vanilla (no Storm, Jean, Jubes, Gewnpool cameo, and no option to play as a girl). Also, Mystique is bugged in the versions linked in the OP, so the current/final version of this mod is v0.984h_1 Quarantine Edition provided by LordMerek.
It's unfortunate, looking back on my posts things looked so hopeful for the mod. 2 years later and we've got nothing except a broken teaser of a rebuild by Ron Chon and we all know how that turned out.

So, this doesn't work with the newest version?
For new current updated mods, I highly recommend the Prime Mod by the amazing prime559 but it lacks things that were featured in the Expanded Mod like new areas, new outfits, ability to recolor hair/outfits, and what I probably want most (Second only to recoloring the hair and outfits) is 1080p 16:9 HD support and the ability to have 4 girls at one time in an area like we got in Ron Chon's build, but those are not his responsibility and outside the scope of his mod.

Last edited:
4.60 star(s) 9 Votes