• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Photographer's Delight - WIP Game Discussion

Ignatz

What's the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow
Donor
Feb 17, 2018
Heh. Actually I grasp the concept in theory. All I'm saying is I'm not sure how it will work for me in practice.

Fortunately, I'm a sucker for breaking creative boundaries, so I'll give it a whirl when that fateful demo arrives one day.

Ignatz

Donor
Feb 17, 2018
You're gonna run out of pixels.

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
Devs should have in mind that four main characters may scale up the game to an unmanageable size for a small group of developers. I explain:

If the game is intended to fully follow each of the characters possible paths, it would have:

(Assuming each girl would have just one lover option other than dad, and dad would have only one lover option other than his daughters)

Daughter 1- Alone, With Dad, With Another Guy

Daughter 2- Alone, With Dad, With Another Guy

Daughter 3- Alone, With Dad, With Another Gal

Dad - With Daughter 1, With Daughter 2, With Daughter 3, With Another Girl (Plus variations like: With Daughter 1 + Daughter 2, With Daughter 1 + Daughter 3, With Daughter 1 + Another Girl...and so on...)

If their stories are intertwined, for instance:

They all go together to a restaurant, Daughter 1 alone, Daughter 2 with Dad, Daughter 3 with another Gal. The possible scene variations multiply and they multiply even more if the game gives different clothes options.

Maybe fully following only the MC possible paths (with all available girls and their combinations it would be already a lot) and just showing one interactive event involving each daughter and a different lover would keep the game into a feasible size. Otherwise there is a risk of this game never being finished.

The game would not have this problem because You, as the player, won't have control over which MC you'e playing as at any moment. The story will advance in a Game of Thrones fashion, following a different person on their adventure depending on what's going on. If you need an example of this in a game that's already out, take a look at Intimate Relations, which swaps perspective between the daughter her father and his wife throughout the course of the story.

So, you might pick up one update, play through a day as the Dad, then pick up the next update either beginning at the same time as the previous one, and showing one of the daughter's perspectives on that day, and advancing or picking up from where the previous one left off, only following a new character. This will allow them to manage the story in a linear fashion, with only issue being keeping Variables straight, a problem with any branching story, but not one that becomes any less manageable, given the format.

Also remember the concept of Polyamory is baked into the story. They aren't going to write themselves into that kind of corner, because the characters are all aware that there are other romantic options in one another's lives. Dad is already dating a woman, and she's already got a little asian virgin girlfriend. One of the Daughters already has a girlfriend as well. Sierra, if you've taken a look at the Prologue, has met three possible romantic options. So the devs are gonna have in mind, at all times, who's doing what and when, and plan accordingly. With so many relationships there are definitely going to be periods when dad is busy and each daughter can do something with their other romantic interests. As a result there will never be that theoretical overlap.

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
am still stuck on the polyamory. Not the actual multiple love interests, but the multiple POV.

While I laud the ambition and imagination to both conceptualize and (potentially) realize this feat, I wonder if it is not ultimately counterproductive to immersion?

Again, I'm not here to interfere with artistic vision, so I wouldn't want the devs to think I don't believe they can pull it off. I just am unsure whether as a player I can pull it off.
As I said in my above post (I'm only requoting you in case you aren't watching the thread) take a look at Intimate Relations. It's Ptolemy project, so if you've played Dreaming of Dana you know it's written well, but even better he abandoned the pseudo life sim aspects of Dana that made it grindy in favour of a more VN style. The game follows the story in the perspectives of each of the main three characters, the daughter, her father, and the father's wife. As one person enters a new room or something, we'll spend some time with another character, just like if you were watching a tv series, or more Aptly, like changing a chapter in a novel like Game of Thrones, or any of Sanderson's novels, which allow you to jump around in perspective, following a different character on their part of the story, which all builds up to create the larger vision.

Ignatz

Donor
Feb 17, 2018
Actually, I'm a big fan a Ptolemy's IR (Dana never clicked for me). But, that really follows my point. Most of the critical action is driven by the "lead" character, the Dad. Yes, daughter and wife have some choices, but not all that many by comparison.

Most of the switched POV is simply internal thoughts or "roving eye" views of them in situations. The main thrust of the story is carried by the Dad.

Now, I could care less if it was Dad or daughter or wife. My point was only that it's more "comfortable" filling the role of a main protagonist in a drama than to try to fill many shoes in the same tale. I think this is magnified in game playing, because not only are you shifting your "mind's eye", but you have to make choices logical to a different mindset.

All this is, if not immaterial, probably not critical. I was simply pointing out that if the game is truly creating 4 separate "brains" to play through in a game, it could be off-putting.

But, I say again, I'm open to the experiment.

(And while I like Sanderson, I'm one of the 17 people on the planet that doesn't care for GoT)

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
Actually, I'm a big fan a Ptolemy's IR (Dana never clicked for me). But, that really follows my point. Most of the critical action is driven by the "lead" character, the Dad. Yes, daughter and wife have some choices, but not all that many by comparison.

Most of the switched POV is simply internal thoughts or "roving eye" views of them in situations. The main thrust of the story is carried by the Dad.

Now, I could care less if it was Dad or daughter or wife. My point was only that it's more "comfortable" filling the role of a main protagonist in a drama than to try to fill many shoes in the same tale. I think this is magnified in game playing, because not only are you shifting your "mind's eye", but you have to make choices logical to a different mindset.

All this is, if not immaterial, probably not critical. I was simply pointing out that if the game is truly creating 4 separate "brains" to play through in a game, it could be off-putting.

But, I say again, I'm open to the experiment.

(And while I like Sanderson, I'm one of the 17 people on the planet that doesn't care for GoT)

Glad I provided a secondary option then hahaha. I have to disagree with you on IR, unless you're doing something specific, there are absolutely points at which each of the ladies is in the dirver seat of their own narrative, for instance the decisions on just how hard on your boyfriend you are, and how you choose to behave with that professor who's fucking your friend. Those choices are just as important to shaping the story as the father's choices when he's alone. As for putting you in Dad's shoes more often, especially when he's with one of the girls, I think that will likely be the case, at least, for the most part I'd suggest that be the case, giving the girls the controls only when it helps the narrative, for instance, if they wanna have Sierra seduce him, rather than being seduced (I don't know if that's a plan, but it would make for a different experience from the Chione and Hitomi routes.)

Ignatz

Donor
Feb 17, 2018
(As a fascinating aside, will this game WIP conversation thread outstrip actual demos/games already released? It seems likely, looking at 39 pages in already)

Listener, Vector, Darth, it's intriguing discussion. I'm off the thread again for a while and will pick it up once more when I have something I feel adds to the conversation. But, fading eyesight permitting, I'll be around for the demo.

♥♦ Xander Salvatore ♣♠

Salvatore Studios
Donor
Feb 11, 2018
As for putting you in Dad's shoes more often, especially when he's with one of the girls, I think that will likely be the case, at least, for the most part I'd suggest that be the case, giving the girls the controls only when it helps the narrative, for instance, if they wanna have Sierra seduce him, rather than being seduced (I don't know if that's a plan, but it would make for a different experience from the Chione and Hitomi routes.)
That sounds good for Sierra.

Hitomi will have Alexandria giving her ideas, thinking threesome maybe...

Chione will have Camille\Sebastian 'moments' to give her ideas, but will be Dominic's role to expand\continue the ideas.

♥♦ Xander Salvatore ♣♠

Salvatore Studios
Donor
Feb 11, 2018
Since it's going to be free, cannot fund it currently (without full time jobs), so it will take a while, but it will have an end at some point (we have other planned games).

Also-- Hitomi has three potential 'lovers', Sierra has four potential 'lovers', Chione has one potential 'lover', Dominic has four potential 'lovers'.. Not counting father/daughter, sister/sister, Alexandria or Lauren.. But remember since incest isn't on the characters minds at the start, they need the minor characters other wise it wouldn't feel real imo...

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Well.. Tbh the 'best' way for them to bond is father/daughter dating, that evolves later into something more...
That sounds good for Sierra.

Hitomi will have Alexandria giving her ideas, thinking threesome maybe...

Chione will have Camille\Sebastian 'moments' to give her ideas, but will be Dominic's role to expand\continue the ideas.
Let me know if you want more details\teasers ;)

Reactions: Kane Salvatore

Kane Salvatore

Salvatore Studios
Donor
Jan 2, 2018
Currently we have an idea for our game to add a cameo of D (since the art assets thread has a few .duf's), and Jennifer/Elena's assets that are listed will be used in some way for out own character, though i love Jennifer, you plan on an older, more adult looking character.
Cameo teaser
would-you-like-to-know-more-sci-fi.jpg