"no dc" watermark

Perry1980

Aug 1, 2019
Its very simple guys. I assume you all have a Nvidia graphic card?
Step 1: Open Nvidia Control Panel ( click Right Mouse and select it)\
Step 2: Click Manage 3D Settings
Step 3: Click Restore Button and select Yes
Step 4: Click Apply Button
Step 5: Close Nvidia Control Panel
Done
this step is only a temp solution. No Dc watermark comes back usually after a new Renpy game is downloaded and started

Reactions: SquiggleBoom

Perry1980

Aug 1, 2019
Deleting nvdrssel.bin is not enough and just sucks because this file contains every custom 3d setting you made in Nvidia Control Panel. And I can't set it to "read only" because then 3d settings from control panel just doesn't works.
Open A renpy game with shift button

Perry1980

Aug 1, 2019
Its very simple guys. I assume you all have a Nvidia graphic card?
Step 1: Open Nvidia Control Panel ( click Right Mouse and select it)\
Step 2: Click Manage 3D Settings
Step 3: Click Restore Button and select Yes
Step 4: Click Apply Button
Step 5: Close Nvidia Control Panel
Done

this step is only a temp solution. No Dc watermark comes back usually after a new Renpy game is downloaded and started
Open the game with holding shift button. a menu opens where you can choose a different renderer

Wutzel

Aug 6, 2017
I'm having the same issue. Seems to have started after playing the Renpy game "My Teenage Years". Which also seems to be the only Penpy game I'm not getting the "NO DC" in.
After I allways sadly must on all games here press shift+g and change the render it has worked, but since two weeks i have a complete new system and new win 10 and fresh graka installed with no old files or what ever. I saw a vid on Youtube when you open nvidea launcher, go to 3d settings press restore default, say yes and close nvidea. After that it worked at me by games from here and much more happier it worked on that damn game detroit become human to with that disgusting no dc sigh^^.

So I hope that works for everyone to so that no one ever go to change render and start the game again!

Anon4321

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 24, 2017
This seems to explain things regarding the "No DC" watermark

Anon4321

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 24, 2017
It seems the "No DC" Watermark has returned with a vengeance, no matter how many times I apply the fixes I used before, the watermark always returns the next time I run the game. So as a test, I accessed the back end of a Renpy game by holding down the "shift key" when starting the game and forced it use each render available.

And as a result I believe I found what's causing the "No DC" watermark on Renpy and most likely in other games and software the use this particular renderer

The cause appears to the OpenGL Renderer (marked in red), choosing either Software, Angle2 or Angle/DirectX seems to remove the watermark.

EDIT PART 1: and I recently found that "Turning OFF" Threaded Optimisation (which seems to stay off from the tests I've done) seems to be the only way to stop the watermark from appearing permanently, but of course, doing that, could cause performance issues in games and software that use OpenGL.

EDIT PART 1: You also appear to get the same result if you "Turn ON" Threaded optimisation, from the test I've done, it appears to stay that way.

So the issue seems to come down to it being set to "Auto", which for reasons switches to "custom" for one reason or another, resulting in the "No DC" watermark to appear. but from what I've read, doing so could cause problems with certain games and software that both don't and do use OpenGL

Screenshot 2021-09-04 003840.png

Screenshot 2021-09-04 004033.png

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Samael-79

Jazzmatazz

Aug 3, 2021
I have the same problem only thing that works for me is,
C: drive
Go to Program Data > NVIDIA Corporation > Drs
Right-click nvdrssel.bin file and select Delete, then empty your Trash.
And repeat that every time it shows up

Anon4321

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 24, 2017
I have the same problem only thing that works for me is,
C: drive
Go to Program Data > NVIDIA Corporation > Drs
Right-click nvdrssel.bin file and select Delete, then empty your Trash.
And repeat that every time it shows up
Recently found that if you switch "Threaded Optimisation" to On or Off, it removes "No DC" and from all the tests I've done appears to stays that way.
but from what I've read, doing could cause problems with certain games and software that both don't and do use OpenGL

Last edited:

2382dudubes

Mar 20, 2019
Unfortunately the resetting the 3D settings, or manually changing Threaded optimisation, or manually deleting nvdrssel.bin only works as a temporary workaround. Needs to be repeated over and over as the file keeps getting recreated and changed. However after research and a lot of testing I finally found a permanent solution to the "NO DC" watermark problem:

1) Navigate to C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\Drs (or whichever your drive letter is)

2) open nvdrssel.bin with a text editor (notepad, notepad++ etc), delete it's content if there is any, save.

3) right click nvdrssel.bin , Properties. Security tab, Advanced. Click "Disable Inheritance" > "Remove all inherited permissions from this object." > Click "Add" > Click "Select a principal" > Enter Everyone > OK. > Change "Type" to Deny and untick everything except for "Write". > Click OK. Click "Add" again, principal: Everyone OK, leave permissions to ONLY "Read & execute" and "Read", OK. Click "Apply".

If in the future you wanna undo the permission stuff simply delete nvdrssel.bin again since it will recreate itself with default permissions if needed.

Seraphi23

Sep 4, 2017
Unfortunately the resetting the 3D settings, or manually changing Threaded optimisation, or manually deleting nvdrssel.bin only works as a temporary workaround. Needs to be repeated over and over as the file keeps getting recreated and changed. However after research and a lot of testing I finally found a permanent solution to the "NO DC" watermark problem:

1) Navigate to C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\Drs (or whichever your drive letter is)

2) open nvdrssel.bin with a text editor (notepad, notepad++ etc), delete it's content if there is any, save.

3) right click nvdrssel.bin , Properties. Security tab, Advanced. Click "Disable Inheritance" > "Remove all inherited permissions from this object." > Click "Add" > Click "Select a principal" > Enter Everyone > OK. > Change "Type" to Deny and untick everything except for "Write". > Click OK. Click "Add" again, principal: Everyone OK, leave permissions to ONLY "Read & execute" and "Read", OK. Click "Apply".

If in the future you wanna undo the permission stuff simply delete nvdrssel.bin again since it will recreate itself with default permissions if needed.
Looks complicated, setting a Read Only attribute is enough to do just that.
But there is a catch - making this file unwritable breaks the NVidia control panel, it won't be able to save any changes after that.
I personally just created a batch file which deletes the nvdrssel.bin with a click.
Still, the fact that this thing hasn't been fixed is annoying, it's clearly caused by NVidia OpenGL drivers.

Furiousrawrr

Dec 10, 2017
Noticed this as well, and only after playing School Boss Harem. After that, all other Ren'Py games show "NO DC" in the upper left corner.

Tested this on another computer as well, same result.

After reading keanuxxx 's post about restoring default settings in NVIDIA Control Panel (and realizing both of the computers I tested on have NVIDIA GPUs), I did some digging and figured out that several NVIDIA related files were being modified.

Another fix seems to be navigating to "C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\Drs" and deleting the file named "nvdrssel.bin". Not entirely sure what this file even does, as it appears to be an entirely empty, zero-length file before running School Boss Harem, and only contains a single byte (0x01) after running it. Deleting it seems to have no negative side effects, and gets rid of the "NO DC" in the corner of other Ren'Py games (and I assume anywhere else it was appearing).
Goated. It worked. Thank you!