• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.
4.50 star(s) 280 Votes

grgrgr5

Mar 13, 2018
So many people seem to absolutely love this game. It is compared to DMD as if it's on a similar level. This makes me want to play it. However, every time I try to start a game there is such an over complicated set of events and character introductions it completely turns me off.

First I'm talking to some girl, then I'm throwing a vase or something.. then I'm going to Tim's house, then I'm talking to another girl, then talking to some guy, then some new girl, then this and then that.. then I hold down ctrl some more to see where this is going.. I'm not even invested in the story or setting or anything yet and this game just wants to throw so much exposition at me. It's so unlike DMD's start. They introduce D and you talk things out and then slowly the world builds around that interaction. In this it feels like they are just throwing the whole world at you in the first 2 minutes. There are so many of these games and it is so hard to invest oneself in reading these giant text walls with different characters I don't care about yet.

I was just wondering, since this game is so loved, if anyone would be kind enough to let me know if this trend continues throughout the story or if, like in DMD, things will slow down a bit, develop the characters and give me a chance to actually care about what's going on instead of just throwing "story" at me and drowning me in exposition. I'd really like to play another DMD if this is what this game ends up being.

JeefZ

Feb 21, 2018
Oh!! Thats right. The "comeback" of "the greatest artist on earth". I remember now. Thanks
Can I still find that anywhere? I go on youtube but never find what I want. Ren+Stimpy and all those. Loved 'em Shit got my mind off what I was doing here Sorry

Reactions: E-Dog

JeefZ

Feb 21, 2018
So many people seem to absolutely love this game. It is compared to DMD as if it's on a similar level. This makes me want to play it. However, every time I try to start a game there is such an over complicated set of events and character introductions it completely turns me off.

First I'm talking to some girl, then I'm throwing a vase or something.. then I'm going to Tim's house, then I'm talking to another girl, then talking to some guy, then some new girl, then this and then that.. then I hold down ctrl some more to see where this is going.. I'm not even invested in the story or setting or anything yet and this game just wants to throw so much exposition at me. It's so unlike DMD's start. They introduce D and you talk things out and then slowly the world builds around that interaction. In this it feels like they are just throwing the whole world at you in the first 2 minutes. There are so many of these games and it is so hard to invest oneself in reading these giant text walls with different characters I don't care about yet.

I was just wondering, since this game is so loved, if anyone would be kind enough to let me know if this trend continues throughout the story or if, like in DMD, things will slow down a bit, develop the characters and give me a chance to actually care about what's going on instead of just throwing "story" at me and drowning me in exposition. I'd really like to play another DMD if this is what this game ends up being.
It' really not that complicated if I can follow it, but how would you go through a story without meeting characters and learning the story of what your supposed to be doing?

grgrgr5

Mar 13, 2018
It' really not that complicated if I can follow it, but how would you go through a story without meeting characters and learning the story of what your supposed to be doing?
As I said, the way DMD did it.. by introducing the main concept and building the world around it and then introducing other characters into it. But that is beside the point. I'm not trying to convince you to feel a different way about it, I am asking you to kindly convince/reassure me that despite my distaste for a method I feel force feeds me exposition to the point I lose interest, this game becomes something more resembling DMD in terms of pacing and character development and is thus worth the effort of going through what I consider an unpleasant opening.

JeefZ

Feb 21, 2018
As I said, the way DMD did it.. by introducing the main concept and building the world around it and then introducing other characters into it. But that is beside the point. I'm not trying to convince you to feel a different way about it, I am asking you to kindly convince/reassure me that despite my distaste for a method I feel force feeds me exposition to the point I lose interest, this game becomes something more resembling DMD in terms of pacing and character development and is thus worth the effort of going through what I consider an unpleasant opening.
This is my opinion This game is totally worth getting to know it and the characters. Excellent game but no insta fuck with M. But you have others to fuck 'round with till she's ready! LOL

Reactions: CoffeeDrinker

grgrgr5

Mar 13, 2018
This is my opinion This game is totally worth getting to know it and the characters. Excellent game but no insta fuck with M. But you have others to fuck 'round with till she's ready! LOL
Well that's good at least that you do not immediately get with Melody. I hope it is a slow blossoming thing like in DMD and Life with Mary. I guess I'll just power through the opening at some point.

Irgendwie Irgendwo

Engaged Member
Jun 30, 2018
Well, you collect "friendship levels" with Melody (the ivories on top) - every 25 points a new level. So far we've reached level 2 of 7 and unlocked kissing. Next update brings us to level 3.

E-Dog

A pain in his girlfriend's ass
Donor
Apr 9, 2018
Can I still find that anywhere? I go on youtube but never find what I want. Ren+Stimpy and all those. Loved 'em Shit got my mind off what I was doing here Sorry
I bought the seasons like 20yrs ago on dvd.....no idea right now.

megacct

May 15, 2017
@ , you may or may not find some R&S here: hxxps://mega.nz/#F!2egjBbDT!Itj5XOsh2Xl3BlsQlbHtZA

replace 'xx' with 'tt'.

Reactions: E-Dog and JeefZ

redle

Apr 12, 2017
I get what you are saying, but the setups are entirely different. DMD is a father-daughter thing. No backstory is needed to explain why two such people might come together and spend a lot of time in each other's company. All the backstory that is given can easily be centered around just these two characters. The side characters then end up being people one or the other know, and get introduced to us over time as we have reason to meet/see them again.

With Melody the point is this is some complete random stranger. Could Mr. Dots have simply jumped in with, "Hey, you teach music to young adults and here's your newest student... begin," yeah, he could have. It would have created need for flashbacks and such to keep some of his plot points the same and intact, but it could have been done (although flashbacks aren't the best tool in games like these). He also could have edited some of the plot in ways that made some of the backstory unnecessary. I too prefer a game that gets to the core faster, but the story he chose to go with does kind of require the long-winded intro.

Either way, once past the introduction you've pretty much got all your main and side characters in the game. Moving on from there is pretty much just time spent with one or another of those already introduced. It isn't like every release is 3 new characters. So pacing does clean itself up a decent amount.

DMD is a game that plays out more like there is 1 central couple and then several bit players that continually poke their head in from time to time. Melody has more of a feel like you aren't really sure who the main couple is, or that you have a choice in the matter (for good or bad). Since Melody is the title character though, she seems to get all the game mechanics pointing to her and splitting screen time even when other characters get more/better scenes.

Intro aside, the central theme of naive girl corrupted (by someone in authority over her), the quality and style of graphic artistry, not to mention the general style of the writing is all the same in DMD and Melody. There are plenty of differences between the two games as well, but it is those 3 (well, plus the obvious "coincidence" that they are made by the same author) that causes all the comparisons. Melody is the more convoluted game from both a story and mechanics point of view (for better or worse).

grgrgr5

Mar 13, 2018
I get what you are saying, but the setups are entirely different. DMD is a father-daughter thing. No backstory is needed to explain why two such people might come together and spend a lot of time in each other's company. All the backstory that is given can easily be centered around just these two characters. The side characters then end up being people one or the other know, and get introduced to us over time as we have reason to meet/see them again.

With Melody the point is this is some complete random stranger. Could Mr. Dots have simply jumped in with, "Hey, you teach music to young adults and here's your newest student... begin," yeah, he could have. It would have created need for flashbacks and such to keep some of his plot points the same and intact, but it could have been done (although flashbacks aren't the best tool in games like these). He also could have edited some of the plot in ways that made some of the backstory unnecessary. I too prefer a game that gets to the core faster, but the story he chose to go with does kind of require the long-winded intro.

Either way, once past the introduction you've pretty much got all your main and side characters in the game. Moving on from there is pretty much just time spent with one or another of those already introduced. It isn't like every release is 3 new characters. So pacing does clean itself up a decent amount.

DMD is a game that plays out more like there is 1 central couple and then several bit players that continually poke their head in from time to time. Melody has more of a feel like you aren't really sure who the main couple is, or that you have a choice in the matter (for good or bad). Since Melody is the title character though, she seems to get all the game mechanics pointing to her and splitting screen time even when other characters get more/better scenes.

Intro aside, the central theme of naive girl corrupted (by someone in authority over her), the quality and style of graphic artistry, not to mention the general style of the writing is all the same in DMD and Melody. There are plenty of differences between the two games as well, but it is those 3 (well, plus the obvious "coincidence" that they are made by the same author) that causes all the comparisons. Melody is the more convoluted game from both a story and mechanics point of view (for better or worse).
Thank you for that well thought out and comprehensive response. I appreciate it. I think you've given me what I need to invest myself enough to play through the opening chapter(s).

Reactions: John Winkel

Simon Jester

Aug 14, 2018
Hey I noticed that the changelog on page 1 only goes to 3b, but the version of the Melody I have is v0.04. So Is there info on what changes their are between 3b and 4? Also is the mega links on page one for the v.4 or the v.3b? I don't remember where I got the one I played (it ended with Melody staying over with the MC and a dream sequence (as I recall). Also are the walkthroughs supposed to be linked on page 1 or are they spread throughout the forum? Inquiring minds and all that.

4.50 star(s) 280 Votes