Man of the House Troubleshooting Help

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
Posted the following in the discussion thread and they sent me here.

Veronica's achievement list being inaccessible was solved by switching resolution down from 1600x900 to 1280x720. This also solved some graphical alignment errors (such as the phone display) that I had previously just assumed were down to the game being incomplete.

Having read through this thread I've still not solved my animation problem. I'm running Windows 8.1 64-bit fully updated, DX12.2, Display adaptors are up to date, I did not previously have the recommended codec pack installed but getting that has made no difference, I've tried disabling DPI scaling, I've tried running in compatibility mode and as administrator, and I play with no incest patch but even tried replacing the mapping.xml with ones suggested here. Also tried limiting frame rate via the in game setting.
Just to note: it's not a black screen I'm faced with as others have reported, I seem to be getting stuck with the last image before the animation when the animation speed controls appear. I can progress the text with that same image stuck on screen up until the option to ejaculate and then I'm trapped.
Another note: I have yet to encounter any other animations so I don't know if my problem is with all animations or just this one in particular.

Thanks in advance.

Edit ---
Yeah, same problem with Sophia in the sauna, after the date with Ashley, and after ice cream at the beach with Ashley. It's definitely a problem with all animations for me it would seem.
So you can't see the animated scenes at all, but you can see the dialog prior to and after the animated scenes?

Could you give me the specs on your graphics card?

I do get a little bit of a lag just before the animated scenes appear, but it's only momentarily.

PC: Custom build
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3
CPU: 8-core AMD FX-8320E Socket AM3+
RAM: 16GB PNY PC3-14900 DDR3-1867 (32GB max)
GPU: ATI AMD Radeon R7 250 Series GPU
Monitor: Acer 24" K242HL

That gives you an idea of what I'm running on my box. Nothing fancy. So I'm thinking one of two possibilities. Not enough RAM or a problem with the GPU. I'm finicky.. I never use the integrated graphics card, even though it's a fairly decent ATI HD. I'd rather use an expansion card with its own RAM so I'm not having to share the RAM between the system and the card. Shared memory is okay, but it just causes lagging sometimes.

Although another thing you *could* do (if you don't do this already) is clear out your pagefile when you restart. You don't have to do it all the time, just when you start to notice your box running a little sluggish (I do it at least every other week to keep my system running smoothly).

The easiest way to do this is by using this command from the command prompt:

This enables the clear pagefile at shutdown:
Code:
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v ClearPageFileAtShutdown /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001 /f
Restart your computer then run the command below to disable it.

This disables the clear pagefile at shutdown:
Code:
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v ClearPageFileAtShutdown /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000000 /f
Restart your computer again.

arcsoul

Jun 11, 2017
Okay, let's check something. Here is what I will need you to do.
  1. Go into Windows Update
  2. Click "View update history"
  3. Click "Installed Updates" (wait for the list to populate)
  4. At the very top right, in the box that says "Search Installed Updates", copy and paste paste this: KB2670838
If that isn't listed, then that's what's missing. It's the Platform Update for Windows 7. Since you have a 32-bit operating system, the file you will want to download from is Windows6.1-KB2670838-x86.msu

Once you've installed that update, a restart is required. After you've restarted, see if you still experience the same problem.
already installed since the game won't start without it because of resolution problem. i guess i skip the game for now.
thanks for your time dude.

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
I have I can not fix
Follow the instructions except you want the update for x64-based systems. Do not download both updates.

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
want the update for x64-based systems....
what do you mean
If you've gone to this site you'll see 2 updates available for download. The first one is for 64-bit operating systems, the second is for 32-bit operating systems. You want the first update, not the second one.

Information on what you need to do before you download the update you need is here:

Netsepp

Aug 27, 2018
i have a problem with all scenes where the zoom is included. The game stops and i can only close the game and restart.
can anybody tell me where the problem is ?
thx mike

ꜱᴛᴀɢᴡᴏᴏᴅ

Bush Rustler
Donor
Aug 23, 2018
So you can't see the animated scenes at all, but you can see the dialog prior to and after the animated scenes?

Could you give me the specs on your graphics card?

I do get a little bit of a lag just before the animated scenes appear, but it's only momentarily.

PC: Custom build
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3
CPU: 8-core AMD FX-8320E Socket AM3+
RAM: 16GB PNY PC3-14900 DDR3-1867 (32GB max)
GPU: ATI AMD Radeon R7 250 Series GPU
Monitor: Acer 24" K242HL

That gives you an idea of what I'm running on my box. Nothing fancy. So I'm thinking one of two possibilities. Not enough RAM or a problem with the GPU. I'm finicky.. I never use the integrated graphics card, even though it's a fairly decent ATI HD. I'd rather use an expansion card with its own RAM so I'm not having to share the RAM between the system and the card. Shared memory is okay, but it just causes lagging sometimes.

Although another thing you *could* do (if you don't do this already) is clear out your pagefile when you restart. You don't have to do it all the time, just when you start to notice your box running a little sluggish (I do it at least every other week to keep my system running smoothly).

The easiest way to do this is by using this command from the command prompt:

This enables the clear pagefile at shutdown:
Code:
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v ClearPageFileAtShutdown /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001 /f
Restart your computer then run the command below to disable it.

This disables the clear pagefile at shutdown:
Code:
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v ClearPageFileAtShutdown /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000000 /f
Restart your computer again.
Those commands don't work for me. I'm not running a Professional version of Windows 8.1 so it's missing a bunch of stuff, managed to clear the pagefile through control panel etc though. No change as far as the animations go.

Admittedly, the specs on my PC aren't great but considering that I'm having trouble pulling up pre-rendered videos I'm not sure it should matter. I mean this thing runs zBrush as smooth as butter ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ anyway this is what I can tell you.

Motherboard: MSI A55M-P33 <MS-7786>
CPU: 4-core AMD A6-3670 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
RAM: 8GB
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6530D

I'm aware I need to update this potato I'm using, but I really don't see how these kind of games could be more demanding than other things I use this machine for. I'm hoping I've just got something setup wrong, but with this latest post by Netsepp and other players reporting the same issues I'm not so sure.

As always, you have my thanks and appreciation for taking the time to hear me out.

Edit ---
Could someone point me in the direction of older builds of this game I could check out? Currently I've only played this version and I'm particularly interested in checking to see if the previous version with webm instead of mp4 clips works for me.

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
Those commands don't work for me. I'm not running a Professional version of Windows 8.1 so it's missing a bunch of stuff, managed to clear the pagefile through control panel etc though. No change as far as the animations go.

Admittedly, the specs on my PC aren't great but considering that I'm having trouble pulling up pre-rendered videos I'm not sure it should matter. I mean this thing runs zBrush as smooth as butter ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ anyway this is what I can tell you.

Motherboard: MSI A55M-P33 <MS-7786>
CPU: 4-core AMD A6-3670 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
RAM: 8GB
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6530D

I'm aware I need to update this potato I'm using, but I really don't see how these kind of games could be more demanding than other things I use this machine for. I'm hoping I've just got something setup wrong, but with this latest post by Netsepp and other players reporting the same issues I'm not so sure.

As always, you have my thanks and appreciation for taking the time to hear me out.

Edit ---
Could someone point me in the direction of older builds of this game I could check out? Currently I've only played this version and I'm particularly interested in checking to see if the previous version with webm instead of mp4 clips works for me.
From what I'm seeing in your specs, your system *should* support the game with no problem.
I've played the game on a system with 2GB of RAM and a dual-core CPU and it ran fairly well, albeit a bit slow, especially during the animated scenes.

The problems began around, I think, v0.7.6 or v0.7.8. So if you wanted to check an earlier version, I'd start just before that. I know when I began testing MotH on various operating systems in VMware when the resolution problems started popping up, the only OS that I found where I didn't need to do anything with was Windows 8.1. Strangely, MotH ran right out of the box with no additional software or updates needed. Windows 7 and Windows 10 OTOH required updates to the OS before it could be played. Mind you, these were clean installs of Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 in VMware with nothing "extra" added.

The two commands I gave most likely didn't run because you would have needed elevated privileges in the command line (running it as administrator). So that would explain why that didn't work, but you were able to clean the pagefile, so that's good.

According to the specs on your motherboard, your MSI supports up to 16GB of DDR3 (1066/1333/1600/1866). I see you only have 2 DIMM slots available, so you'd want to look for a 2 x 8GB kit if you ever decide to upgrade the memory. Adding more RAM would definitely improve performance, not just for MotH but for day-to-day activities as well.

Unfortunately, a quad-core is the best your motherboard is going to support. So there's not much you can do to upgrade the CPU unless you decided later down the road to upgrade the mobo. But as the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

One thing I can suggest (if you're able to) is to make a backup of the partition of your hard drive. This will back up the entire system and will take several hours to do so (I'd start the backup when you're going to bed). And then once that's done, format your drive and do a reinstall of the OS/drivers/Windows Updates then recover your files from the backup you made and see if that cleared up the problem, not just with the game, but any other issues (slow performance for example, programs becoming unresponsive/crashing, etc..) you might be having. You'd need an external drive or an extra internal SATA drive.. with at least 25GB of free space. If you need software to do the backup, let me know and I'll make it available. I use, and highly recommend Farstone's TotalRecovery Pro (not freeware).

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
i have a problem with all scenes where the zoom is included. The game stops and i can only close the game and restart.
can anybody tell me where the problem is ?
thx mike
That sounds like a graphics card issue. Check the manufacturer's website to see if there are updated drivers for your video card. Alternatively, make sure you're not using the cheat mod. If so, delete it.

Aug 5, 2017
This is caused by arch mixing and can be fixed by doing the following
winetricks quartz amstream devenum ffdshow
winecfg
Use winecfg to add the winegstreamer library and then disable it.
now run the following
wineboot -u

This should fix the issue with the video playback.
This works, but you don't need amstream or devenum. I tested by moving my .wine directory and starting fresh. Also, expanded on how to disable gstreamer for people not familiar with wine already because it's non-obvious that disable doesn't mean remove.
  1. winetricks ffdshow quartz corefonts (corefonts are not needed, but are good to have for other compatibility reasons)
  2. Accept all the defaults
  3. winecfg
  4. Go to the Libraries tab
  5. Type 'winegstreamer' in the box under 'New override for library'
  6. click Add
  7. under Existing overrides, click winegstreamer (native, builtin)
  8. Edit
  9. Disable
  10. Ok, then Ok again
  11. wine explorer.exe /desktop=temp,1920x1080 'man of the house.exe' (Put your desired resolution there)
  12. Tell it to run fullscreen and it will fill the entire window you gave it.
This should work on any recent distro of linux.

Reactions: Sycho

Netsepp

Aug 27, 2018
That sounds like a graphics card issue. Check the manufacturer's website to see if there are updated drivers for your video card. Alternatively, make sure you're not using the cheat mod. If so, delete it.
hm, i updated my drivers last week with driver booster. I don't use Cheat Mode. my Version is 0.8.1b (extra)

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
hm, i updated my drivers last week with driver booster. I don't use Cheat Mode. my Version is 0.8.1b (extra)
Try going into the phone, click on the gear icon and select "Limit frame rate (30fps)".

Netsepp

Aug 27, 2018
Try going into the phone, click on the gear icon and select "Limit frame rate (30fps)".
with 30fps i got the same error. always just before the end of the scene i see the pic but nothing goes on (no dialog no clickable options). I have to close the game and restart.

this always happens when the zoom is on the right ?
all other sequences are ok.

thx Mike

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
with 30fps i got the same error. always just before the end of the scene i see the pic but nothing goes on (no dialog no clickable options). I have to close the game and restart.

thx Mike
It's actually not a zoom function in the animated scenes. The + and - buttons speed up or slow down the animation. It starts out on the slow speed by default until you click the "+" to speed it up.

Tell me a little about what you're running on your system and maybe I can help you figure a way to resolve the problem.
  1. What operating system do you use (and is it 32-bit or 64-bit)?
  2. How much RAM do you have installed on your system?
  3. What video card do you have installed?
  4. What's your CPU?

ꜱᴛᴀɢᴡᴏᴏᴅ

Bush Rustler
Donor
Aug 23, 2018

thx Mike
Does the animation start for you or are you left hanging on the last still image before exhausting the dialogue and being left stuck?
If the animation doesn't show it sounds like the exact same thing I'm experiencing, always when the speed controls for an animation that doesn't appear shows at the right hand side of the screen.

Netsepp

Aug 27, 2018
Does the animation start for you or are you left hanging on the last still image before exhausting the dialogue and being left stuck?
If the animation doesn't show it sounds like the exact same thing I'm experiencing, always when the speed controls for an animation that doesn't appear shows at the right hand side of the screen.
the animation starts normal, all dialogs are there. then i have the chioce of zoom or orgasm. after this choice there are 1 or 2 dialogs and then the picture stays, no dialog and no option to click is there. the only way is to exit the game..

i am running windows 8 with 4MB RAM, all other games work perfect...

thx Mike