• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Man of the House Troubleshooting Help

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
You need to install corefonts using winetricks. It's one of the steps in the post @Sycho linked.
Thanks for that! I wasn't sure what the problem with not being able to see the text in the title screen was. I didn't know if that would have affected being able to see the dialog in the game as well.

zitrussorbet

Nov 7, 2017
Played the game for a few hours with seemingly no problems.
Just ran into my first animated scene.
But instead of the animation, there was just a blackscreen.
Any idea, what the problem could be?

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
Played the game for a few hours with seemingly no problems.
Just ran into my first animated scene.
But instead of the animation, there was just a blackscreen.
Any idea, what the problem could be?
What operating system are you running?

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
Okay, first thing I'd check is to make sure you have the updated mapping file (mapping.xml). Sometimes that will cause a black screen either throughout the game or in the animations if you're using an outdated mapping file.. If you're using a cheat mod, delete it as it's not needed and will cause problems with the game (cheats are already on the phone; man in the black hat).

Lastly, you may need to update your video card drivers. Check your system manufacturer's website, motherboard manufacturer's website, or if you're using your own video card, check the card manufacturer's website. See if there's a driver update available. Once installed, restart your computer and try playing up to one of the animated scenes. You can also click the picture gallery (in the phone), go to "Videos" and try playing any one of the videos you have.

Some have suggested using one of the codecs in the OP on the first page in the main thread. That's actually incorrect. As long as you have DirectX installed, you can play the game (and see the animated scenes) without any codecs. From the sound of it, it looks to me like you have DX installed. Otherwise you'd be getting a resolution error message and wouldn't be able to play the game at all. So you're in great shape there at least.

zitrussorbet

Nov 7, 2017
Okay, first thing I'd check is to make sure you have the updated mapping file (mapping.xml). Sometimes that will cause a black screen either throughout the game or in the animations if you're using an outdated mapping file.. If you're using a cheat mod, delete it as it's not needed and will cause problems with the game (cheats are already on the phone; man in the black hat).

Lastly, you may need to update your video card drivers. Check your system manufacturer's website, motherboard manufacturer's website, or if you're using your own video card, check the card manufacturer's website. See if there's a driver update available. Once installed, restart your computer and try playing up to one of the animated scenes. You can also click the picture gallery (in the phone), go to "Videos" and try playing any one of the videos you have.
Sadly none of these seem to be the problem. I have the recent mapping file (from OP/lewdpacher) and don't use and mods.
I just updated my video cards driver (Radeon R7 M265DX btw, if that helps)
Still only a black screen during the video scenes :(

Any more Ideas?
Otherwise, I'll have to use the CG Rip for the missing scenes...

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
Sadly none of these seem to be the problem. I have the recent mapping file (from OP/lewdpacher) and don't use and mods.
I just updated my video cards driver (Radeon R7 M265DX btw, if that helps)
Still only a black screen during the video scenes :(

Any more Ideas?
Otherwise, I'll have to use the CG Rip for the missing scenes...
The only other idea that comes to mind is to check Windows Update for any additional software (possibly an update to DirectX). Make sure you have “Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows” checked.

Optionally, you could go and download the offline update for DX.

For security reasons, I downloaded the file and scanned it myself with ESET Endpoint Antivirus. I also scanned the URL with Virus Total. Both came back clean.

Lastly, you could try this method for Windows 10:

Disable Full Screen Optimization:
1 Right click on “Man of the house.exe” and select properties.
2 Click on compatibility.
3 Disable full screen optimization.
4 Click apply and “OK”.

Bluecats

Aug 12, 2016
Save it as a .txt? I can download the zip file which has a bunch of stuff in it too but none of them allow me to run anything
warning: taskset/cpuset not available on your platform!

------------------------------------------------------

wineserver not found!
I'm getting a lot of this on my terminal

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
warning: taskset/cpuset not available on your platform!

------------------------------------------------------

wineserver not found!
I'm getting a lot of this on my terminal
Did you follow the steps exactly? That message sounds like you ran winetricks in a regular terminal window, not the wine staging window.

Jaker

Jul 12, 2017
Windows users: If you are seeing an error message that looks like this (see attached image), you need to update your operating system through Windows Update.

For Windows 7 users:
  1. Go into Control Panel.
  2. Click the "Windows Update" applet.
  3. Search for updates.
  4. Click the "Optional" updates that it has found and select them all (except the language packs).
  5. Install all of the updates and restart your computer.
  6. Now you can play the game.
For Windows 10 users:
  1. In the search box in the task bar, type "Windows Update".
  2. Click "Advanced Options".
  3. Select “Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows”.
  4. Install all of the updates and restart your computer.
  5. Now you can play the game.
I did the same but still did not play the game

Jaker

Jul 12, 2017
windows 7 64bit.
When I use the 32 bit version it is normal but on 64 bit I can not play it