Jun 9, 2018
Eh, still.
Also, tasteful profile pic if I do say so myself :p
Funnily enough, I found myself thinking something similar about your own avatar.

And understandable. Ultimately, given the infuriating nature of the MC, I don't really thinking the restoration patch will make this all that much better. It'd be really nice not to have to deal with the totally out-of-left-field Spanish, though.

IndigoHawk

Aug 9, 2016
I'm going to be honest, I don't mind him changing it at all.

I've been beging and pleading for translators to get rid of things like that and honorifics in English translations for years. I'm not Japanese, we don't use them, they look ridiculous. I realise that's only my view but when a translator does remove them it gives me the happy.

I live in the UK, nobody here is sensei, chan, san or whatever other silly title they give each other that makes supposedly intimate friendships and relationships look formal as fuck. For me it completely ruins romance novels. When you have a couple that are supposed to be in love addressing each other with surnames and titles they don't look in love to me.

Where I live, if i meet someone called Dave then it's just Dave and my big brother is my big brother. If I called him onii chan I think he'd disown me. I've never heard anyone use that word unless it was to take the piss out of someone.

I know some people disagree vehemently but i'm English and i'm reading these novels in English. We don't use honorifics or titles I don't like them and they have no place in an English translation.
Variety is part of the fun of having stories from different cultures. The nuance of the social structure can be important to Japanese stories; that's why honorifics are preserved in good translations. The flavor reinforces that the relationships function a bit differently. I'm missing out if the translator sanitizes the language for English.

Also, English uses honorifics in its own way. Dr., Mr., full name, last name, first name, shortened first name, nickname, guy, etc. English has a variety of ways to refer to people from formal to informal that serve similar functions to honorifics. However, since English is more casual about it, it's difficult to translate directly without losing meaning.

A good localizer has to decide which term to use based on context. For example, if Jones is a teacher, Jones-sensei is probably pretentious and could just be Mr. Jones. However, sensei can be used in other contexts where Mr. wouldn't be quite right. Senpai is another term that can't be translated. No one says "Upperclassman Bob", but if senpai is completely omitted, then the social structure between the two people isn't reinforced. Since senpai-kohai relationships actually impact how people behave in stories, it's informative to keep the terms.

I also think replacing "onii chan" with "dude" is probably a bad translation, but not always. No one says "onii chan", but people could use "dude". But the connotation is different, so that's why keeping the original "onii chan" indicates "this is a foreign work and we can't translate to a word you know without losing some meaning." Unless the character also happens to live on the beach in Hawaii, I wouldn't go with "dude". For that level of familiarity, it would be more common in English to simply have no identifier. So instead of "onii-chan, how was your day?" just "How was your day?" But again, it's possible to lose meaning.

As a reader, I prefer keeping honorifics so I'm informed, rather than have a translator decide I'm an English speaker who can't handle or isn't interested in subtleties.

EldenFZ

Jul 16, 2017
I think the "my dude" stuff is the one thing that puts me off the most in this VN. I prefer to wait for that patch that will remove and replace it with a proper term like "brother" or something before playing it.

Fortunately the translation didn't go south like this manga here
It's grammatically well done but...pffft I can't take it seriously even during the dramatic moment. That just proves that going TOO MUCH out of context isn't a good idea especially when it comes to characterization. It's not really about culture or anything, it's all about weither or not the translation portray the message in which it originated from. And translating "Onii-chan" = "my dude" isn't really what I could call a good translation. I'm sure the translator wanted to add his own style of speech, and it's good at some times...if done with moderation.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Variety is part of the fun of having stories from different cultures. The nuance of the social structure can be important to Japanese stories; that's why honorifics are preserved in good translations. The flavor reinforces that the relationships function a bit differently. I'm missing out if the translator sanitizes the language for English.

Also, English uses honorifics in its own way. Dr., Mr., full name, last name, first name, shortened first name, nickname, guy, etc. English has a variety of ways to refer to people from formal to informal that serve similar functions to honorifics. However, since English is more casual about it, it's difficult to translate directly without losing meaning.

A good localizer has to decide which term to use based on context. For example, if Jones is a teacher, Jones-sensei is probably pretentious and could just be Mr. Jones. However, sensei can be used in other contexts where Mr. wouldn't be quite right. Senpai is another term that can't be translated. No one says "Upperclassman Bob", but if senpai is completely omitted, then the social structure between the two people isn't reinforced. Since senpai-kohai relationships actually impact how people behave in stories, it's informative to keep the terms.

I also think replacing "onii chan" with "dude" is probably a bad translation, but not always. No one says "onii chan", but people could use "dude". But the connotation is different, so that's why keeping the original "onii chan" indicates "this is a foreign work and we can't translate to a word you know without losing some meaning." Unless the character also happens to live on the beach in Hawaii, I wouldn't go with "dude". For that level of familiarity, it would be more common in English to simply have no identifier. So instead of "onii-chan, how was your day?" just "How was your day?" But again, it's possible to lose meaning.

As a reader, I prefer keeping honorifics so I'm informed, rather than have a translator decide I'm an English speaker who can't handle or isn't interested in subtleties.
Here is the issue, you are debating a point I don't like as if it's going to change my mind in explaining why they are there, it won't.

Your point about senpai is ridiculous, want to know why no one says upperclassman Bob .... because nobody talks like that outside of japan, and again, i'm not Japanese.

It doesn't add anything to the story, it just looks silly.

How does it possibly lose meaning?

We don't use honorifics yet everyone has managed for centuries with social situations. Reading someone say "good morning" is fine, what does "good morning, onii-chan" add"?

Absolutely nothing, not a thing, just extra words that mean absolutely sod all to someone who knows nothing about Japanese culture. If I cared about the culture, i'd learn the language, i'm reading the English translation for that very reason.

The biggest problem for me with those honorifics is like I said before, it's all too formal. Watching people talk to others using them and surnames doesn't come across as a group of say, close friends. They are addressing each other with titles, they seem like strangers lumped together for the sake of a story. With friendship comes familiarity which honorifics take away. Same for "romantic" relations. They call each other by their surname and still use honorifics yet i'm supposed to believe these 2 are in love and share a connection on a deeper level yet talk formally like a couple of strangers and spend 10 minutes story wise saying how awkward it is to use first names.

The single most mind numbingly, cringe inducing shit piece of writing i've ever bore witness to in a VN is watching a "couple" use each others first names for the first time in a 50+ hour story. I'm supposed to believe in a connection here when they haven't even used their first names.

Amariithynar

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to be honest, I don't mind him changing it at all.

I've been beging and pleading for translators to get rid of things like that and honorifics in English translations for years. I'm not Japanese, we don't use them, they look ridiculous. I realise that's only my view but when a translator does remove them it gives me the happy.

I live in the UK, nobody here is sensei, chan, san or whatever other silly title they give each other that makes supposedly intimate friendships and relationships look formal as fuck. For me it completely ruins romance novels. When you have a couple that are supposed to be in love addressing each other with surnames and titles they don't look in love to me.

Where I live, if i meet someone called Dave then it's just Dave and my big brother is my big brother. If I called him onii chan I think he'd disown me. I've never heard anyone use that word unless it was to take the piss out of someone.

I know some people disagree vehemently but i'm English and i'm reading these novels in English. We don't use honorifics or titles I don't like them and they have no place in an English translation.
If you want a game without honorifics, then play media that isn't Japanese in cultural origin. Yes, we don't use honorifics in the West, because we have a different culture. Stop demanding the culture it was created within be excised just because it's not what you enjoy. THAT is actual cultural appropriation. It's not "silly" or "cringey" (though bad voicework can be), it's ANOTHER FUCKING CULTURE. Learn some fucking respect.

Even worse when it's bullshit like this.
To My Beloved Dude.jpg

Amariithynar

Oct 26, 2017
This line alone almost makes the questionable localization worth it.
For a joke translation, meant to just get some laughs, sure. Like that one hmanga that got an "australian translation", or the April Fools' "voice acting" addition to CrossCode, or the Funimation dub of Ghost Stories. But to do that SERIOUSLY and say that that's a proper translation of the original? Fuck no.

Reactions: Arrocha
Sep 29, 2017
For a joke translation, meant to just get some laughs, sure. Like that one hmanga that got an "australian translation", or the April Fools' "voice acting" addition to CrossCode, or the Funimation dub of Ghost Stories. But to do that SERIOUSLY and say that that's a proper translation of the original? Fuck no.
Well, since it'll be fixed within the month courtesy of whoever's working on that patch, I'm not upset. And since I'm not upset, I'm going to get as many laughs out of this as I can.

Amariithynar

Oct 26, 2017
Well, since it'll be fixed within the month courtesy of whoever's working on that patch, I'm not upset. And since I'm not upset, I'm going to get as many laughs out of this as I can.
As far as I'm aware, and according to another commenter in this thread, it's going to be a name-fix for Yuki (to Yuuki), image-fix, and 'dude' fix only, so far. I do hope that it goes more in-depth, but that this is considered acceptable by translation companies at all is just terrible.

Basically, this.

Part of the appeal of these stories is that it's in a foreign world, with a foreign culture, and foreign customs. Not all readers want to pretend Japanese novels are set in Chicago. We want to experience different things - that's what books, movies, and video games are all about. I mean, imagine putting Harry Potter in Kansas. An enormous part of the charm of Harry Potter was the linguistic differences vs. US English, as well as reading about how they do things differently overseas (dragons and witchcraft aside). Even in Hogwarts, those customs came through.

It's just like reading a fantasy novel, only more educational and interesting because it's not fantasy - those honorifics, shoe lockers, tatami mats, kareoke parlors, and kotatsu are totally a thing. Why would you want to gut that "fantasy" world just so it's more relate-able? That's kind of terrible.

EldenFZ

Jul 16, 2017
As far as I'm aware, and according to another commenter in this thread, it's going to be a name-fix for Yuki (to Yuuki), image-fix, and 'dude' fix only, so far. I do hope that it goes more in-depth, but that this is considered acceptable by translation companies at all is just terrible.
While I think it's good to do an in-depth correction, I think fixing the 'dude' and the other two problems might be enough? Or is there anything else about this translation other than these 3 problems that needs to be addressed? Well I didn't play the game at all yet so I don't know anything about the in-game content.

Reactions: Zastinx

Zastinx

Feb 18, 2018
While I think it's good to do an in-depth correction, I think fixing the 'dude' and the other two problems might be enough? Or is there anything else about this translation other than these 3 problems that needs to be addressed? Well I didn't play the game at all yet so I don't know anything about the in-game content yet.
You are right but they're purists so I doubt that's good enough for them.

Sep 29, 2017
I don't quite get why changing Yuki to Yuuki is so critical. Perhaps I'm lacking some key knowledge of Japanese names. Is Yuki a boy's name or something?

Zastinx

Feb 18, 2018
I don't quite get why changing Yuki to Yuuki is so critical. Perhaps I'm lacking some key knowledge of Japanese names. Is Yuki a boy's name or something?
Well japanese names have meanings Yuki's name meaning does get mentioned in the story so it does matter...if you actually knew that fact from the start.

Sep 29, 2017
Damn i was looking forward to this someone recommend me some pure game only has romance and happy sex please.
Considering that's my favorite genre I've got a pretty good list. Right now I'm playing through Wagamama High Spec again. I'm also currently chewing through Sabbat of the Witch, which so far seems to be going in the right direction for a pure love story. Other games I've played are Magical Marriage Lunatics, Majikoi, Chrono Clock, Hatsukoi 1/1, Dracu-Riot, Noble Works, Princess Evangile, Shuffle!, and SakuSaku Love Blooms with the Cherry Blossoms, just to name a few.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Here is the issue, you are debating a point I don't like as if it's going to change my mind in explaining why they are there, it won't.

Your point about senpai is ridiculous, want to know why no one says upperclassman Bob .... because nobody talks like that outside of japan, and again, i'm not Japanese.

It doesn't add anything to the story, it just looks silly.

How does it possibly lose meaning?

We don't use honorifics yet everyone has managed for centuries with social situations. Reading someone say "good morning" is fine, what does "good morning, onii-chan" add"?

Absolutely nothing, not a thing, just extra words that mean absolutely sod all to someone who knows nothing about Japanese culture. If I cared about the culture, i'd learn the language, i'm reading the English translation for that very reason.
Not to beat a dead horse, but how does cultural norms being portrayed not add anything? This isn't just a Japanese thing. The same sort of honorifics can be found in Korea and probably China and most other asian countries. The idea of "senpai" is pervasive in every facet of life in these countries (school, work, any organization with hierarchy). Addressing someone by just their name would be extremely disrespectful. Sure, a good localization can be done if the translator is skilled, but character relations and even plot points could be altered. When they do a poor localization, you end up with something like "dude."

The biggest problem for me with those honorifics is like I said before, it's all too formal. Watching people talk to others using them and surnames doesn't come across as a group of say, close friends. They are addressing each other with titles, they seem like strangers lumped together for the sake of a story. With friendship comes familiarity which honorifics take away. Same for "romantic" relations. They call each other by their surname and still use honorifics yet i'm supposed to believe these 2 are in love and share a connection on a deeper level yet talk formally like a couple of strangers and spend 10 minutes story wise saying how awkward it is to use first names.

The single most mind numbingly, cringe inducing shit piece of writing i've ever bore witness to in a VN is watching a "couple" use each others first names for the first time in a 50+ hour story. I'm supposed to believe in a connection here when they haven't even used their first names.
You just seem closed minded. America(UK) is the best! Other cultures suck! Why do they act like this? If you don't want to understand how other cultures might be different, maybe just stick to western games. FYI, addressing your SO with honorifics is not at all odd in east asia depending on the setting, especially if there is an age gap. I have more knowledge of Korean so I'll give an example. A girl calls her older senior in the workplace Sunbae-nim (Senpai). She may continue to call him this as they start dating. When they are going steady, she might start calling him oppa (kind of like oni-chan but can apply to any older male as an expression of endearment and farmiliarity). At no point would she call him by just his name unless she's fighting him or something. The guy would call her name-Sshi (like name-san). He could keep calling her this as they start dating. When they are going steady, he could just use her name or even just Ya (hey you). Eventually he will probably adopt a pet name for her or something. Would you throw this all out in this office love VN I just made up? Its a major plot point of how their relationship develops.

Amariithynar

Oct 26, 2017
Well japanese names have meanings Yuki's name meaning does get mentioned in the story so it does matter...if you actually knew that fact from the start.
It matters whether or not you knew it from the start. Would you like it if, as your name is Zastinx, people called you Zastinky instead? It doesn't have the same meaning, but who cares that it's insulting you by calling you stinky; it's close enough that people understand, right? That's what your argument is, at its core. That it's close enough and you don't care for it to actually be accurate.

Bowdlerisms, like YOU SPOONY BARD!, came about because of heavy-handed censorship of Japanese culture forcing Bowdler to recreate the script as best he could in a way that was still internally consistent. He did well with what he had to work with, but that should NOT be considered the gold standard for translation- especially because it IS NOT translation, but re-writing, aka "localization", which falsely purports to change things to make them easier to understand, when it's just trying to scrub cultural references that the ignorant won't understand or even bother trying to educate themselves on, least of all when there's an in-media note that actually explains it, like Viz Media do with the manga they translate.

Walg

Visual art is my magnet. Currently inactive
GFX Designer
Donor
Oct 5, 2018
You just seem closed minded. America(UK) is the best! Other cultures suck! Why do they act like this? If you don't want to understand how other cultures might be different, maybe just stick to western games. FYI, addressing your SO with honorifics is not at all odd in east asia depending on the setting, especially if there is an age gap. I have more knowledge of Korean so I'll give an example. A girl calls her older senior in the workplace Sunbae-nim (Senpai). She may continue to call him this as they start dating. When they are going steady, she might start calling him oppa (kind of like oni-chan but can apply to any older male as an expression of endearment and farmiliarity). At no point would she call him by just his name unless she's fighting him or something. The guy would call her name-Sshi (like name-san). He could keep calling her this as they start dating. When they are going steady, he could just use her name or even just Ya (hey you). Eventually he will probably adopt a pet name for her or something. Would you throw this all out in this office love VN I just made up? Its a major plot point of how their relationship develops.
Everyone's entitled to their own opinions about how things should be translated as everyone has their way of appreciating games. There's no need to take it to a personal level.

@Avaron1974's opinion is her opinion about it. Honorifics don't exist in the Western world (With the exception of doctorates and the special titles) at the same level as the Japanese or other Asian cultures (Around cultural respect within family/school/ages/etc). How a translator takes that is up to them. Whether you agree that the honorifics should be translated is your own opinion but please focus on the topic rather than the person.

Reactions: Caiin

Darkhound

Sep 2, 2017
Everyone's entitled to their own opinions about how things should be translated as everyone has their way of appreciating games. There's no need to take it to a personal level.

@Avaron1974's opinion is her opinion about it. Honorifics don't exist in the Western world (With the exception of doctorates and the special titles) at the same level as the Japanese or other Asian cultures (Around cultural respect within family/school/ages/etc). How a translator takes that is up to them. Whether you agree that the honorifics should be translated is your own opinion but please focus on the topic rather than the person.
While I think that Honorifics are important in VN with japanese Origin, I accept the opinion of @Avaron1974. Though I have to say, when a translator thinks he has to "westernize" a japanese VN to make it more "appealing" to the western community, you get what you got with "If my heart had wings". Totally changed story-parts, it was a very poorly done job. And of the people I know, not one of them liked the "westernized" version of that game and was more than happy to apply the restoration-patch.

The same with this "dude"-thing... That is just retarded in my opinion, a better way would have been some other nickname if one is adamant about not using the onii-chan... though it clashes for me in VN with Voice-Acting like this one. The same goes for the Yuki/Yuuki thing. Since they mean different things. Yuki, depending on the kanji, means happiness or snow. While Yuuki, again depending on the kanji its written with, means excellence, superiority, gentleness or distant, leisurely. True if you don't know it, it doesn't make a difference for you... But if it gets mentioned in the story, what the name means, it makes quite a big difference, if only in terms of correctness in our western eyes (not initially knowing what the name means).

I can just talk for me, but I like the japanese VN's how they are, with honorifics and the cultural/social background they have. If I wanted to read a westernized story, I would read one with western Origin and not bother with storys with its origins from the east. Another approach would be just to say: "You don't like it? Do it yourself the way you like it." And its not meant to point at one specifically in this thread but thats what I think about people that seem not open minded to other customs and/or rules to me.

4.30 star(s) 3 Votes