Mod QSP Abandoned Girl Life: Quality Of Life Mod [1-10][toolkitxx]

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
Thanks, nice mod, looking forward to the future updates for this :)
Thank you for the encouragement. I am actually late with the current update because i got caught in some nasty code stuff that prevented my clean-up a bit. But next update will be before the weekend!

DeMarcus16

Apr 12, 2017
Thank you for the encouragement. I am actually late with the current update because i got caught in some nasty code stuff that prevented my clean-up a bit. But next update will be before the weekend!
Blame me, not toolkitxx! The "nasty code" was a mess I made that he graciously tried to help me clean up. Mod is really good.

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
@DeMarcus16 I actually wasnt talking about that - the blame is full on me actually

Allright peeps and fappers - here it goes:

Version 1-3 is not going to be the big one as i had hoped for. I need to push some things from the clean-up parts to the next update as i have to rewrite more code than expected. x'D

But nevertheless - more clean-up has been done meanwhile and i changed more for the stats window. Bimbo withdrawal is now clearly visible in the status and bonus/malus messages are added as well.

The main menu (character etc) has been reworked a bit and i introduce a 'settings' menu.
main menu.PNG
The settings menu will consolidate many of the navigational links that where left in the status window. There are direct options to change the status window font size now as well as showing/hiding skills and attributes
settings menu.PNG
I decided to make the font size changer the top option - it becomes essential for usability whenever you add information to your status window. If that placement is inconvenient let me know via feedback here.

Some might notice that the 'old menu' is gone. Yup - into the waste-bin. Not coming back. The cheat menu can still be accessed via the phone as well but i deem it important enough for many people to be selectable via the settings menu.

Note: Please make sure to place the pictures and graphics into your image folder and 'replace' when prompted. Some graphics/pictures have been 'unified' in size to ensure better readability. This will ultimately happen to all pictures! I will release that as a full image pack when ready.

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
Somebody wanted to contribute and send me a message asking for the parameters i use to 'unify' the things in my mod.

So for those with interest in it I have compiled a small list that works as my design template when taking things apart or renaming things. As the main focus right now is to create a cleaned up version for the community to use and expand on, my particular interest is to make things readable for everyone who understands basic english. This includes not only the displayed text but variable names, action names etc. It should be noted that none of this is my personal invention but simply following some rules of 'good coding' and project management. This will also be the base instruction when i publish on github.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

vkozyrev

Jul 2, 2017
Have you considered using a different development platform, like Python/Ren'Py or .NET, for the project?

vkozyrev

Jul 2, 2017
Yes, I know, and I really like his new layout! He was also talking about creating new events, which makes me worry; in the past, I had a rather bad experience modifying qsp files for the older version of the "Pro Eto" game.

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
Have you considered using a different development platform, like Python/Ren'Py or .NET, for the project?
That would be outside of the scope since i never intended to take this and make it my main development project (i have one already). I really love this game but was very unhappy with how bad it was treated in terms of readability and feedback regarding quests and events.

The TFG team has some clear ideas how and where they want to go and while i was reading back in the bug and development threads I had to conclude that they had no real interest or ability to clean the mess. Community means first and foremost collaboration in my book - and the code in its current state prevents that. Adding to it doesnt help at all - its the main source of things constantly breaking again as lots of variables and locations still have funny names, are split into various sublocations for no reason etc. Porting any game would require full understanding of the code to begin with. Right now i highly doubt anyone can claim that knowledge as even TFG people state they dont understand many things in the code.

Yes, I know, and I really like his new layout! He was also talking about creating new events, which makes me worry; in the past, I had a rather bad experience modifying qsp files for the older version of the "Pro Eto" game.
The problem isnt qsp at all because it is actually quite simple and structured. Its how things are distributed and connected. I have silently deleted code without explicitly stating it in the changelog as it is part of the clean-up. Many times you would find a full copy&paste of one and the same routine or function in the middle of a location description. You currently have multiline quest statements in the middle of a locationA and locationB instead of just combining the code, putting it into a proper questmodule and writing a single call. That is what causes the trouble - the programme simply does what it is told. Code is like a baby - if you dont tell it clearly and precisely what to do it does surprising things. Happens in all languages. Not more often in qsp than in C# and others. By having executable code in the middle of descriptions etc it became very hard if not impossible at times to find the culprit who caused trouble. I am not a qsp master but i know a thing or two about support and project management. 'Fixing' stuff on the run is good and well for a while but one also has to go full stop once in a while to clean out those 'fixes' into real code and proper places.

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
Updated to version1-4 - see changelog for detailed changes

Attention! : If your save is in any of the locations directly connected to the city centre you will have to leave the area and re-enter after loading the new qsp since i started to rewrite things into the new location template system. If your menu shows more than 2 actions ('where to...' and 'wait') you need to leave to call the new code.

Please report any error messages regarding location missing here (preferred with a snip of the actual message) even if i am certain i checked it all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quacker

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
Attention Hotfix1-4: I was obviously faster to notice than any of you and found a miserable error. New version is uploaded on frontpage as usual.
(I was so in bimbo mode that i totally forgot to reconnect the shopping mall shops properly)

Attention! : If your save is in any of the locations directly connected to the city centre you will have to leave the area and re-enter after loading the new qsp since i started to rewrite things into the new location template system. If your menu shows more than 2 actions ('where to...' and 'wait') you need to leave to call the new code.

Please report any error messages regarding location missing here (preferred with a snip of the actual message) even if i am certain i checked it all.

Reactions: Quacker

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
As i have been asked if the 'old menu' would reappear i'd like to post my answer also in the open here:

Before i started this mod i had been through hundreds of pages over at TFG to get an idea what the main problems for users where and if they where similar to my own concerns. TFG was running a poll at that time asking on which platform people play - this is the latest result of it:

TFGPlatformpoll.PNG
Nearly 1k votes and 88% of the users play on PC. 5% on Android. The 'old' menu mainly made sense for Android users thus i made a harsh decision what to work with and what to ignore for the time being. So until the overall cleanup is done there wont be a revived 'old menu' style anymore.
The most common navigation method of users is 2-handed mouse+keyboard for the majority of users which is reflected in the changes the mod does.

Quacker

The Quacker
Respected User
Donor
Aug 6, 2016
As i have been asked if the 'old menu' would reappear i'd like to post my answer also in the open here:

Before i started this mod i had been through hundreds of pages over at TFG to get an idea what the main problems for users where and if they where similar to my own concerns. TFG was running a poll at that time asking on which platform people play - this is the latest result of it:

View attachment 8754
Nearly 1k votes and 88% of the users play on PC. 5% on Android. The 'old' menu mainly made sense for Android users thus i made a harsh decision what to work with and what to ignore for the time being. So until the overall cleanup is done there wont be a revived 'old menu' style anymore.
The most common navigation method of users is 2-handed mouse+keyboard for the majority of users which is reflected in the changes the mod does.
Wow, an yeah i see what you mean its better to cleanup there mess than, trying to do something... when its smarter to do it afterwards

elliochness

Aug 15, 2016
This mod is great and you've got me hoping that maybe there will be meaningful development on Girl Life again that isn't held up by a rat's nest of old shitty code.

Reactions: toolkitxx

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
This mod is great and you've got me hoping that maybe there will be meaningful development on Girl Life again that isn't held up by a rat's nest of old shitty code.
Thank you very much for your kind words - they just come at the right time as i am actually in the middle of the 'rats nest' called pavresidental and it scares the f... out of me. This is very motivating!

Reactions: F95

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
Short status for the next update:

I am aiming to publish the next version the upcoming weekend (14th or 15th July). As some might have noticed i was pretty scared about diving into one of the major locations as it has references from 300 calls/functions and just the sheer amount of code that simply doesnt belong into a phys. location had me goofed.

The good news is that i finally found the inherent flaw of the current code and why event code, stat checks etc are written into all kinds of places. As my goal is to enable collaboration on this i can quickly explain (non coders just ignore this bit for now):
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: elliochness

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
Just a quick note (changed OP accordingly):

I learn something new everyday - even at my age. There is actually no need to replace your player's qspgui.cfg file. You can place the qspgui.cfg directly into your game directory and the player will use that. If you want to prevent changes please make sure to set 'read-only' attributes on it.

RamboT

Jun 11, 2017
Hi

I understand the need for this mod since most people believe that it's "difficult" to code. They are correct in many cases but certainly not in this case. The public girllife-ecv git page got all ppl need with all info except how to install python and compile the stuff. Seriously if ppl just understood that this code is more or less English and very basic math there would be tons of games like this one. But to be honest some of the changes this mod does might not be for everyone to do "at home". But many of the "this thing annoys me" can mostly be done within a few minutes by most people.

There is a problem though with modding code yourself. First of the feeling "I want the newest constantly updated with the dev github version". Means download the current and verify if your personal changes needs tweaking add and compile. I found this thread only because the girllife-ecv git page is currently down and I sort of don't want to play unless I have the absolutely latest changes.

Secondly and more important is that the game will be less interesting since when you find something you want to change, find the file for it you look under the hood and suddenly you know all events/story available for that part and as times go by you know most of it. Kills it for me at least.

Impressive that this mod author got the energy to release this and keep doing it, that's dedication. I'm way to lazy.

Noticed a nice thing in the git for this mod. .webm, great idea! I spent 15 minutes on testing qsp on the image capabilities but gave up on my idea to change a few .jpg to animated .gif, but since the img code in qsp is retarded I gave up. If you feed it an animated gif named .jpg you get static image. Thus code needs to be change and it's not worth the work for me personally.

Great work on this mod though, love the changes done, impressed by the willingness to put in the work and share (and answer the questions that follows). Sadly my brain won't allow me to use it, I'm stuck in the development version for "the newest" stuff.

/have a nice day!

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
Hi

I understand the need for this mod since most people believe that it's "difficult" to code. They are correct in many cases but certainly not in this case. The public girllife-ecv git page got all ppl need with all info except how to install python and compile the stuff. Seriously if ppl just understood that this code is more or less English and very basic math there would be tons of games like this one. But to be honest some of the changes this mod does might not be for everyone to do "at home". But many of the "this thing annoys me" can mostly be done within a few minutes by most people.
I beg to differ regarding the 'more or less english' as it was one of the reasons to begin the mod. If you refer to syntax and commands in general for QSP I totally agree and it is one of the reasons why we placed the translated QGen helpfile and the translated xml file on github to enable others to see that. QSP builds on BASIC which was one of the easier things to learn.

Secondly and more important is that the game will be less interesting since when you find something you want to change, find the file for it you look under the hood and suddenly you know all events/story available for that part and as times go by you know most of it. Kills it for me at least.
One of the main reasons for this mod after all. A player should not be forced to dig into code to find out where to start or continue a questline and if they do they quickly lose interest and fun as you state yourself. Good to hear that feeling is shared by others.

Impressive that this mod author got the energy to release this and keep doing it, that's dedication. I'm way to lazy.
Appreciate the recognition and invite you to come back to this and look at the code again a few versions down. You might actually change your mind regarding 'the newest content' then :)

Noticed a nice thing in the git for this mod. .webm, great idea! I spent 15 minutes on testing qsp on the image capabilities but gave up on my idea to change a few .jpg to animated .gif, but since the img code in qsp is retarded I gave up. If you feed it an animated gif named .jpg you get static image. Thus code needs to be change and it's not worth the work for me personally.
You cant in classic player.

Great work on this mod though, love the changes done, impressed by the willingness to put in the work and share (and answer the questions that follows). Sadly my brain won't allow me to use it, I'm stuck in the development version for "the newest" stuff.

/have a nice day!
Thank you very much for your kind words and enjoy 'the newest stuff' over there - if it bores you or github goes down again you will probably find new content over here that isnt even 'over there' :)

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
Version 1-5 is out and OP has been updated accordingly.

Special thanks to @Krull for the work on our 'girly' phone

As stated in the OP we will accept bug reports from now on. Feedback in general is also highly welcome.

Note: As quite a few locations have been cleaned and updated you will probably encounter situations where your menu/actions mess up. Pavlovsk residential, commercial(formerly highstreet) and the outside of Pavlovsk trainstation have been affected. If you want to ensure to be able to continue with your current save i highly recommend to leave the Pavlovsk area completely, save and then using the update. Move back normally without using cheats.

Reactions: Krull

Eoin

The Bug Hunter
Donor
Feb 21, 2017
So a bug I noticed in the newest version, is that when one does a full 60 min exercise (as in 260 stamina) EDIT: Any exercise, it white-screens after the press-ups. I seem to be able to recreate this every time. Must have been something you did with the code. It worked in v1-4.

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes