Genesis 9 is Coming

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
I am just curious.
Does this then need a more powerful machine or gfx card if you would to use these figures?

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
I am just curious.
Does this then need a more powerful machine or gfx card if you would to use these figures?
Not really.

The renderer is exactly the same.

8k texture maps use four times the memory obviously, but if you're masochistic enough to use Daz you should have Scene Optimizer already, so just shrink the textures down.

And vertex count means fuck all until you cross into the hundreds of thousands.

Biggest issue is, all morphs will be unisex now, so Daz's shitty property hierarchy will lag your computer like a motherfucker twice as bad.

Reactions: glassware

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
I really want that hair tho... is it a new one, is it old?
If it's the , then it's probably not and will never be a Daz hair. It's made, or "groomed", in . So, largely via Maya. Could be wrong, though. I'm not sure if any Daz PAs/Creators make XGen hairs (I'm like 90% sure OOT does, honestly.) to sell on the Daz store, though.

They aren't specifying if Genesis 9 models are 8K only, or if they're 4K by default and offer 8K texture as an option. If you're working with the former as the assumption, then you'll need a higher-end system. 32+GB of ram and at least a 3070 (which is probably stretching it). If you're working with the latter as the assumption, then you'll at least need a system that can handle 8.1 models.

Reactions: coffeeaddicted

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
wasn't the original Genesis unisex anyway?
It was, and people complained it didn't look good. Now they're throwing more vertices and texels at it and hoping that fixes the problem, I guess?

Otoh maybe this'll solve the problem of nobody making stuff for men because it doesn't sell? Now everybody has to buy male content, I guess?

There's a lot of questions here.

Boogie

Aug 7, 2017
Biggest pain for me with manual posing still has to do with face bones and their weird deformations. Really curious if the supposed FACS improvements listed on the product page have any significance as well as how the new base mesh reacts to deformations.
They didn't show the new FACS process, but there were side by side examples of the same G8.1 expression used on a G8.1 and the new V9 character. The expressions looked so much more natural on V9 even though they were created for G8.1.

:unsure:
It was mentioned that hair is supposed to be included in the Victoria 9 Pro Bundle.

stabrepete

Dec 5, 2020

View attachment 2057500

:unsure:

PS: feet looks promising from the very few promo pics out there...
I feel like there were making another character and slapped the "victoria" name on. The vicky models have always had strong facial features and high cheek bones. This ones face is now more soft and rounded.

Also her story she has gone from a Model to deaf to a vitiligo ginger. who did she piss off lol

SummmerP

Disrespected User
Game Developer
Jun 26, 2017
how about this 'unified figure' thing?
if Daz is gonna run both male and female dials when creating or loading a G9 character? sounds based

gonna have to find a part time job to fill that time in-between load characters/scenes now

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
Can't wait for DAZ to crash even more then. Working with the existing HD morphs is already too much for DAZ.
I love how Versluis rattled off his beefy computer specs, then when he tried to dial a morph in his computer froze for five seconds.

Lewd4D

Jun 28, 2019
G8 is already miles ahead of what most other alternatives offer. The program itself is the problem and needs a major overhaul.
My guess is that nobody who is capable of doing major changes to the program is working at the company anymore and they are just trying to keep the "corpse" alive as long as possible.

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
G8 is already miles ahead of what most other alternatives offer. The program itself is the problem and needs a major overhaul.
My guess is that nobody who is capable of doing major changes to the program is working at the company anymore and they are just trying to keep the "corpse" alive as long as possible.
They've had the same lead dev for twenty years, that guy who posts the release notes on the forum, with the arrow-brain avatar. I think the CEO is just a fucking clown who orders the devs to make shit like the NFT PFP GTFO generator MetaMixer rather than anything useful.

Apr 18, 2021
8k texture maps use four times the memory obviously, but if you're masochistic enough to use Daz you should have Scene Optimizer already, so just shrink the textures down.

And vertex count means fuck all until you cross into the hundreds of thousands.
Which begs the question. Why?
Fuck, all we have wanted for YEARS is better animation tools, better posing tools. They should be going after iClone as a basis for moving forward.
Instead we get 8K textures and more verts to bog your renders!
a6pgWww5_700w_0.jpg

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Kind of a baseless assumption until Daz 5 comes around.

grohotor

May 15, 2020
160$!!? Have they fucking lost their mind? This is truly the pay pig special.

Kind of a baseless assumption until Daz 5 comes around.
Not baseless once you look at the state of it. I have only been following the development for a year now and the only thing they have done is a badly implemented volumetrics system

Then you look at what blender has done in a similar timeframe...

Last edited:

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Not baseless once you look at the state of it. I have only been following the development for a year now and the only thing they have done is a badly implemented volumetrics system

Then you look at what blender has done in a similar timeframe...
They haven't been sitting on Daz 4 for over a decade without doing anything. No competent business is going to stay in business that way. And even with 80% of their assets being pirated by developers/users, they're still afloat. That much should be telling. Either way, Daz 5 is likely to have some kind of DRM and will likely destroy the AVN market in doing so.

Blender? You're comparing what is essentially a team vying to be an industry-standard to a program made for amateurs. If Blender wants to hang with Autodesk, they need to be on top of it. Meanwhile, a majority of people using Daz are making book covers, prototypes, and visual novels - all with premade assets. The only tough work with Daz is lighting, which is a bitch for everyone in any software. They're two different beasts that excel at two different things, though Daz being far easier to get better results from out of the gate. The only reason Blender isn't hanging with Maya/3DSMax is because most people spend more time trying to fix the issues it creates than they do actually working with it.