Genesis 9 is Coming

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
If you do a Google for "cb swim outfit daz", you can find a cached page for a product Daz released yesterday and then deleted. This fits with Daz's whole "jaw-dropping" livestream coming up on the 21st.

Here's the promo pic.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

It looks... fine, I guess? I know Raiya created the Genesis 3 base figures and this sure looks like a Raiya figure.

But without proper IK in Daz Studio, does it really fucking matter?

Reactions: ALISHIA and Domiek

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
Another screenshot.
1663347236185.png

Note that it's still compatible with 4.20. And Daz 5 isn't listed.

So I assume that means Daz 5 isn't being released. Also, evidently NVIDIA is having their conference the day before.

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
The compat is always whatever the "current" version of Daz is. Even stuff from before Genesis says for 4.20. So it's automated, I don't put much stock in it.

I hope the Nvidia conference is just a coincidence. I don't give two shits about a new Iray until after Daz fixes their awful posing tools. Talk about polishing a turd.

BrknParts

Aug 4, 2020
Even If everything for 8.1 works on 9, still is too early, I wonder what could be improved this time to create a whole new branch, the 8.1 was focused on Face Improvements, for 9 maybe body ?

Reactions: Fatalmasterpiece

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
Even If everything for 8.1 works on 9, still is too early, I wonder what could be improved this time to create a whole new branch, the 8.1 was focused on Face Improvements, for 9 maybe body ?
What I'm really hoping for are some sort of drivers and default skin morphs on the face for existing facs controllers. That would make expressions so much better.

Kendricktdr

Feb 25, 2022
It could be gen 9 yeah but for those reading the thread: 21 sept 2022 is just going to be a 'sneak peek' into the development of what is probably gen 9. So yeah we might get some insight but it is nowhere near release ready. So relax and keep working with 8/8.1 :)

Sven2022

Jun 23, 2022
You can always hope for Softbody physics!
its time

Not that great promo picture btw
girl to the lefts left thumb goes through the shorts.

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
Yeah, it's Genesis 9.

Jay Versluis has fucking rambled about 8K vitilago textures and how the 8.1 FACS expressions Daz sold us last year are actually shit, but he hasn't mentioned anything about an FK/IK switch rig.

So it looks like this is a bust and Daz3d just wasted our time.

Glad I didn't get my hopes up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Domiek

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
Yeah, it's Genesis 9.

Jay Versluis has fucking rambled about 8K vitilago textures and how the 8.1 FACS expressions Daz sold us last year are actually shit, but he hasn't mentioned anything about an FK/IK switch rig.

So it looks like this is a bust and Daz3d just wasted our time.

Glad I didn't get my hopes up.
The better looking base topology looks cool and the separated eyes/mouth from the mesh saves some steps but yeah, this is pretty much a non-event.

Edit: looks like their might actually be some FACS improvements that weren't shown.

Last edited:

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
View attachment 2057266
Versluis went over the "improved posing & animation" in the event. In typical Daz style they're hyping up nothing. They renamed abdomen and chest bones to Spine 1, Spine 2, Spine 3, and Spine 4. It sounds like it's meant for video game exporting, not posing in Daz Studio itself.

I was struggling to figure out what the point of this livestream was -- G9 is trans-friendly? It has better expressions for your NFT PFP GTFO? -- until Versluis said that magic word:

"Preorder."

And now we know why they're telling us about this shit a month in advance instead of dropping it overnight.

I guess this means their fucking NFT scam has gone tits up and they're strapped for cash.

• Haha
Reactions: HentaiSensei777

grohotor

May 15, 2020
They want to repackage their lingerie catalogue i guess.

There is no real reason to change the geometry or the uv's with the introduction of a new model.

Things that daz should actually work on.

the daz PBR skin shader is bugged. each model takes longer and longer to load depending on how many they are, something that does not happen with the uber skin shader.

The timeline. You cant even stop daz from automatically creating keyframes or stop interpolation. This is basic stuff. The fact that daz lacks it is actually crazy.

Proper IK system. Despite what people on the daz forums say, its not just for animations. it makes posing ridiculously easier.

Physics. cloth, fluids etc.

Volumetrics atm are half assed.

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
They are acting like you can't use 8k textures right now. You can, none makes them because they are a waste of time unless you like using a microscope.
Deepsea makes 8k textures.

Proper IK system. Despite what people on the daz forums say, its not just for animations. it makes posing ridiculously easier.
Agreed.

I posed this in Blender and exported a pose preset from Diffeomorphic. Even with the exporting, it took a quarter of the time it'd take in Daz Studio, because the "pinned" IK chains wobble all over the place the instant you adjust the collar/upper arm.

That is, after the 3-5 seconds of lag where the program freezes.

And god forbid you need a pole target to aim the elbow somewhere.

god_bless_final.png

Reactions: Domiek

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
Deepsea makes 8k textures.

Agreed.

I posed this in Blender and exported a pose preset from Diffeomorphic. Even with the exporting, it took a quarter of the time it'd take in Daz Studio, because the "pinned" IK chains wobble all over the place the instant you adjust the collar/upper arm.

That is, after the 3-5 seconds of lag where the program freezes.

And god forbid you need a pole target to aim the elbow somewhere.

View attachment 2057319
Biggest pain for me with manual posing still has to do with face bones and their weird deformations. Really curious if the supposed FACS improvements listed on the product page have any significance as well as how the new base mesh reacts to deformations.

SummmerP

Disrespected User
Game Developer
Jun 26, 2017

V9bundlemainimage.jpg

I really want that hair tho... is it a new one, is it old?
:unsure:

PS: feet looks promising from the very few promo pics out there...

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
Biggest pain for me with manual posing still has to do with face bones and their weird deformations. Really curious if the supposed FACS improvements listed on the product page have any significance as well as how the new base mesh reacts to deformations.
Apparently G9 has double the vertex count, and all morphs are gonna be HD now. I think?

The new expressions look more realistic, I guess, but I've gone back to Powerpose with 8.0 so the FACS improvements mean nothing to me. I used to like FACS but Daz's system is too rigid and limited. I like the ability to tweak lips and brows better in Genesis 8.0 over FACS morphs that never go beyond "mildly surprised".

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021

View attachment 2057500

I really want that hair tho... is it a new one, is it old?
:unsure:

PS: feet looks promising from the very few promo pics out there...
The main page says the bundle will come up an OutOfTouch hair, and that sure looks like one.

Also, I absolutely love how the shirt is clearly clipping above her left boob, and her arms are clipping into her shirt. This is the promo pic they went with, love it. 8k skin textures, no improvements to mesh deformation.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Reactions: glassware