Genesis 9 is Coming

Smbt3D

Nov 3, 2019
Why do I read "Genesis 9 now avoidable" on the Daz3D shop page banner all the time ?:unsure::cool:

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
Why do I read "Genesis 9 now avoidable" on the Daz3D shop page banner all the time ?:unsure::cool:
Maybe you're clairvoyant.

Josie 9 just dropped. No HD, no 8k textures, carbon copy of Mika/Tika 8, yet they still have the audacity to charge $60. What a shitshow, lol.

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
To be fair, they never did. But, yeah. Definitely underwhelming.

Edit: Outside of the detail maps.
The says "8K HD materials". And Versluis's fawning sycophant livestream made such a big deal out of them.

In the end it was just misleading advertising to trick people into putting preorders in, I guess.

Reactions: MissFortune
Nov 9, 2022
The says "8K HD materials". And Versluis's fawning sycophant livestream made such a big deal out of them.

In the end it was just misleading advertising to trick people into putting preorders in, I guess.
The part that really messes with me is, why not just make it true? You've already sculpted the HD mesh. Surely you can bake an 8k texture from that. You'll need 4x the RAM and video memory as a 4k texture, but it's doable. We have the technology.

Or is the real problem that end-user systems can't handle 8k textures, so we need to use 4k textures + a tiling detail map and call it "8k Materials?"

In principle, Genesis 9 could work. But only if it actually speeds up the rate at which developers crank out HD characters. This sort of feels like a negative feedback loop between developers and consumers of "wait-and-see," but it could just be a bit of delay while developers iron out the kinks of their new production pipelines.

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
The part that really messes with me is, why not just make it true? You've already sculpted the HD mesh. Surely you can bake an 8k texture from that. You'll need 4x the RAM and video memory as a 4k texture, but it's doable. We have the technology.
A mod on the Daz forums said that 8k textures are "opt-in" and that PAs aren't obligated to do it unless it's contracted work. Except Josie 9 is contracted work because it's supposedly a "Daz Original".

Or is the real problem that end-user systems can't handle 8k textures, so we need to use 4k textures + a tiling detail map and call it "8k Materials?"

In principle, Genesis 9 could work. But only if it actually speeds up the rate at which developers crank out HD characters. This sort of feels like a negative feedback loop between developers and consumers of "wait-and-see," but it could just be a bit of delay while developers iron out the kinks of their new production pipelines.
The real problem is their crypto investments fucking failed so they rushed this shit out the door to scam people on overpriced preorders for a non-upgrade.

Given the cash-hungry dumpster fire that is Daz3d, your Six Million Dollar Man joke might actually become truth sooner or later.

Nov 9, 2022
The real problem is their crypto investments fucking failed so they rushed this shit out the door to scam people on overpriced preorders for a non-upgrade.
They've actually been working on this for a few years now? I think I saw it in a GDC video that's paywalled now, or something. The bad splash art with the skirt phasing through her legs because only the top half of her body has Dforce, the seizure-inducing flashing lights in the unskippable full-screen animation on the homepage, all of it.

The truth is, Genesis 9 honestly is built from the ground up for content developers, not end-users.

In theory, that means it will be for consumers, but not until a few years from now, at best.

I'm glad the crypto bubble is bursting now before it gobbled up the entire entertainment industry? Hopefully Daz, the company, only wasted a bunch of R&D expenses chasing the technology, and didn't buy into their own hype and start over-leveraging themselves in their competitors' monopoly monies.

Given the cash-hungry dumpster fire that is Daz3d, your Six Million Dollar Man joke might actually become truth sooner or later.
Um. It was more of a random reference than a joke. I don't really understand what it "coming true" would look like. Walk me through what you're thinking.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Me and my g9 8k textures :

1335837203262.jpg

Wait they also trashed the spec occlusion thingy they made with PBRS lmao. Can't blame them tho, it was as effecient as my grandma on bike (who compete for Giro tour).

acusrola

May 30, 2020
Somewhat unrelated and maybe the wrong thread to ask. Recently I noticed that Daz3d is "part of Tafi".

What the fuck is that? Their site is a complete mess that doesn't tell me much as I'm not a cryptobro. Something about avatars for the metaverse, enabling Web3 interactions on a simulational level whilst also working virtually through unilateral systems of engagement? Okay maybe not that, but still, a lot of bullshit imo.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Somewhat unrelated and maybe the wrong thread to ask. Recently I noticed that Daz3d is "part of Tafi".

What the fuck is that? Their site is a complete mess that doesn't tell me much as I'm not a cryptobro. Something about avatars for the metaverse, enabling Web3 interactions on a simulational level whilst also working virtually through unilateral systems of engagement? Okay maybe not that, but still, a lot of bullshit imo.
Daz is a subsidiary of Tafi. All that really means is that Tafi more or less owns Daz as either a parent or holding company. The avatars seem to be part of their Samsung partnership for AR (Augmented Reality) Emojis:

Samsung and Tafi have partnered to bring a robust lineup of clothing and accessories to the Galaxy AR Emoji store. Starting in October 2020 users now have access to significantly more options to personalize their AR Emoji.
Which basically reads as a Mii from the Wii days, but probably more advanced. Gotta be fairly decent if it's being backed by Samsung. This is more or less goes along with what they actually do. Looks like they're pretty deep into the AR/Avatar-type stuff. Daz and their "Unity at Tafi" (which basically seems to be a project to bring Daz morphs and such over to the Unity Store, at least that's what I gathered from a quick skim.). Their NFT side looks relatively new, and it'll probably be gone just as quickly.

Tafi has made Daz quite profitable (from what I've read, at least), though. So, obviously, whatever they're doing is working to some extent. Whether that's a good thing or bad thing is up to the individual, I suppose.

Last edited:

acusrola

May 30, 2020
Right, okay - thanks for the clarification. Good thing about the DAZ formats is that they can't really lock them out from me since the software is free and the assets too (yar har har).

Focus on AR emojis / avatars is probably not an outright bad thing, as I would assume the clothes made for G8 or 9 would probably work with the AR stuff - or, maybe rather that the avatar is some proprietary version of GX.

Personally, I don't like it, but then I don't think it affects me that much due to - as I said - the file format that DAZ uses for models and such.

Reactions: MissFortune

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018

It's in fact midly interesting when you dig into it. Did that long time ago.