Kisama33

May 13, 2018
Good news for all CK fans aparently the development of chapter 8 already started, keep in mind that because the rest of the game will be made in Unity there is the possibility that ne chapters will be posted in a new thread, development may take around 6 - 8 months but there is really now way to know for sure so be patient because just like with previous chapters and Eld you will only get a release date that is really short in time (less than a week) since it only makes sence to make on if its certain that the game will be ready.

toffles

Jul 3, 2021
would you guys recommend waiting for the dev to swap this over to the unity engine before playing? it seems kinda confusing to me with all the chapters and stuff and flash seems really outdated.

Mar 1, 2020
would you guys recommend waiting for the dev to swap this over to the unity engine before playing? it seems kinda confusing to me with all the chapters and stuff and flash seems really outdated.
Pros: Probably it'll be more complete experience in somewhat near future. Cons: Art is one of the best, something one has to see. Game was structured for episodic nature as chapters were coming out, I felt it in my playthrough, full game might feel different.

Reactions: toffles

Kisama33

May 13, 2018
That will depend a lot on your taste for games too, the first 2 entries are quite easy and some people deslike the difficulty spike that happens in chapter 3 and keeps increasing as new mechanics and changes are made in that case the compiled version will give you the most balanced experience without you having to get used to the new stuff over each chapter.

Now your patience is also something you will need to take into account because it will probably take a few years until the entire volcano arc is compiled.

In terms of plot the devision into chapters is not a problem is just like a book you read ine chapter and change the place to a new one.

Flash is not really a big deal while the engine limited what was possible to do with the game overall is still a enjoyable experience.

I would sugest to test the first chapter, is relatively short and because it doesn't have a save system you need to finish it in one go (around 15 to 20 minutes) if you enjoy it then try the next one and if at some point you just don't feel engaged in the game is probably that you will not like the new Unity version either unless the problem is with the visuals or the flash engine limitations but you can only know that for sure when the new chapter (8) comes out that will be entirely build on Unity already so is up to you.

You can always try to look for some gameplay online I remember that someone speedrunned the first chapter in Youtube but you will need to deal with the spoilers tho.

Relative to the cons mentioned by BloomYourDreams if anything the Art will be inproved in the Unity version, some rework will need to be done to fit the new widescreen and the game will still be divided in episodic sections too if I'm not mistaken, even if that is the case it's confirmed you will not be able to backtrack too far (for plot reason) so it will feel like that in some way even if some new stuff will be added that my allow you to visit recent areas for some optional content (this is not confirmed, only a possibility so far).

Last edited:
Reactions: crackad and toffles
May 25, 2022
the first 2 entries are quite easy and some people deslike the difficulty spike that happens in chapter 3 and keeps increasing as new mechanics and changes are made
On the flip side, for some people that's a huge plus. Like me. In the easy chapters it feels basically like... you know the slo bowls for dogs, with the extra shapes and obstacles in the bowl just to make the dog eat slower? Imagine the art is the delicious delicious kibble and then the whole experience is like that, with the combat being just the annoying internal walls of the bowl with otherwise nothing else to it. Now, don't get me wrong, it still has that function in the later chapters too, but with some actual challenge now present I actually loved how it then transitioned into being a Real Game.

Reactions: Kisama33

F1forhalp

SOTD: Mudhoney - Dissolve
Donor
Oct 28, 2019
i'm entirely uncertain about the outcome of this whole Unity migration. from past experience, games which did migrate got abandoned, in numbers.. and those which didn't, came out worse than the initial Flash versions.
don't ask for a list, that'd be too much effort. i haven't played -all- of those.

• Sad
Reactions: Kisama33
May 25, 2022
i'm entirely uncertain about the outcome of this whole Unity migration. from past experience, games which did migrate got abandoned, in numbers.. and those which didn't, came out worse than the initial Flash versions.
don't ask for a list, that'd be too much effort. i haven't played -all- of those.
This one seems promising though. It's not like the dev was one day like "hey I'mma switch to Unity let's gooooooooo". Instead he first decided to make another project first to learn it (Eld), and it was not a small one, either. Even if it is technically "unfinished" as-is (it's more like "he fully did a chapter 1 of what could be a big story if he chose to continue") we can actually see how that went, and it went quite well. I think there's reasons to be optimistic here.

F1forhalp

SOTD: Mudhoney - Dissolve
Donor
Oct 28, 2019
This one seems promising though. It's not like the dev was one day like "hey I'mma switch to Unity let's gooooooooo". Instead he first decided to make another project first to learn it (Eld), and it was not a small one, either. Even if it is technically "unfinished" as-is (it's more like "he fully did a chapter 1 of what could be a big story if he chose to continue") we can actually see how that went, and it went quite well. I think there's reasons to be optimistic here.
tbh i'm not gone yet (as in, still watching this thread) exactly because i'm patient enough to hang on until we get to see some actual turnout of the then new version of CK. expectably that'll take quite some time, given the rather big differences in both platforms; one can't just copy pasta the assets and scripts and whatnot from Flash to Unity, that's quite a stack of manual work with the 7 chapters we already have. also i think i faintly recall some dev comment somewhere early on, that he wanted to adjust balance and some other things, long before he planned the Unity thing.
so what does he have.. the main plot/storylines, the raw assets, the Flash game mechanics.. which might possibly serve as skeleton to look at when rebuilding the game on a new platform. i don't think there's a magical 'Flash2Unity' tool with a zero-problem result..?
so that's like, ok you can build a totally new house and have at least them old bricks, and the doors and windows are still there. lessee if those fit. if not, at least we know what the new ones should look like.
tons of work. my best guess would be something presentable in late spring/early summer, soonest.

*edit* found a typo. now it's mine.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: SpicyWintercress
4.60 star(s) 34 Votes