Fan Art Big Brother: Fan Art

4.50 star(s) 8 Votes

celtic1138

Game Developer
Apr 22, 2017
Celtic, how exactly do you light your scenes? just asking as the lighting always seems perfect on all your renders you've done here, like others I got a few headaches with lighting and getting it right
Thank you. Often a LOT of trial and error:)

Depends on the scene, of course, but often a good HDRI as the environment map (play around with intensity). Maybe a mesh light or two, depending on the look I'm trying to get.... (If you create a spotlight and set Light geometry to rectangle and height(diameter) and width to somewhere between 50 and 100 you basically create a light with a softbox so it's not as harsh, Lumen setting can be anywhere between 10000 and 5000000).

Those last scenes I did in the bathroom (you'll get it in the Identify assets thread) are lit with environment mode set to scene only, and all but two (I think) are using only the lights that were created for that set. I only added a light when the scene was too dark because of the figure's position.

Don't be afraid to hide an unseen wall or roof to let in more light for daylight scenes.

I've mentioned it before but Iray prefers brighter scenes, so keep that in mind.

Something else useful are skin shaders, you can find different ones to download and try out.

Hope that helps.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
I'll second what @celtic1138 said - getting good scenes with Iray is always about light. If it gets too bright, you can always tone it down a bit by decreasing the Film ISO setting in Tone Mapping. Contrarywise, if there's not so much light in the scene (like the ones I did of Max and Alice mostly lit by the TV), then you can brighten them by increasing the ISO. But the less overall light in the scene, the longer it takes Iray to converge. And the default values DAZ chooses for spotlights are almost always WAY too small - add zeros!!

Reactions: Born2game

kqmaverick

Jun 26, 2017
Have you tried the Smoothing slider together with Collision item (Alicia's bodypart)?
So with your help and some googling i was able to get it to look good by setting Smoothing Iterations to 20, Collision Iterations to 20 and SubD Edge Interpolation to Soft Corners and Edges. I also went in and set the Cutout Opacity, Base Bump, Diffusion Strength and Base Color to none. I got a good looking Alice Tanktop with those changes.

Reactions: DimS40

kqmaverick

Jun 26, 2017
I kinda feel at least from these angles that Lisa is a bit too tall compared to Alice but beyond that I think the lighting in these is much better then your first image.
First one was low light by design, i was going for a TV glow only for lighting. The next two are after Max turn's the room light's on. I think i went a little too bright on these tough, going to lower the ISO for next series of images.

Reactions: Hybris

Techn0magier

Jul 2, 2017
Just a quick render to see how some new stuff works out. (diverse shader presets for IRay, HDRI from sIBL Archive, pose converter script with some Gen3 orgasm poses, Michael8, morphs for Gen8 male genitals, etc.)
Big thx to celtic for his Gen8 character morphs. I tested Liza on this one too. :)
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

p.S.: Her Hairstyle is different from the original. I like this one more.

4.50 star(s) 8 Votes