3D-Daz Big Brother: Art Assets

Techn0magier

Jul 2, 2017
Uff, I checked the money value to purchase all needed props. Not gonna happen in the near future.(I prefere legal copys of props for different reasons)
Maybe you guys could list, which props (and their source) are needed for each room? So the planning of scenes would be easier. Some of the bundles listed above are only needed for one or two props. Huge investment, little gain.

celtic1138

Game Developer
Apr 22, 2017
Uff, I checked the money value to purchase all needed props. Not gonna happen in the near future.(I prefere legal copys of props for different reasons)
Maybe you guys could list, which props (and their source) are needed for each room? So the planning of scenes would be easier. Some of the bundles listed above are only needed for one or two props. Huge investment, little gain.
That is a lot of stuff to go through. I'll try... Off the top of my head...

Firstly, you need the Modern Villa set and and for everything. The create a room set is for the walls and structure, the dance studio is for the floors.

Most of (I think all) of the props for Alice's and Mom's rooms are in these two sets:

You need both sets for Alice's room, but the second one will do for Mom's (I think the plant we used for Mom's bedroom was from another set, but it's also in cozy bedroom). Of course you can load the rooms without having the props, and just delete whatever doesn't show up. The pillows and duvet at the bottom of the beds come from cozy bedroom. The props on Alice's desk area wall are from the home office. The chair by the window in the corner is from cozy bedroom.

The Main Living Room and Kitchen set needs props from:
The props needed are for the kitchen. Now, I can't remember if you need anything for the kitchen counter to load, if you do It's most probably from that Manhattan loft expansion. (Try loading the main room & kitchen and just remove the items that don't load)

Lisa & Max's bedroom needs:

That's for the beds the shelf the posters, a lamp and some other bits and pieces.

The bathroom needs a toilet, 3 towel racks, a toilet roll and holder and some small bottles.

The towel racks come from here:
Toilet and roll holder from:
The bottles are in the home office set used for Alice's room.
You can load this set as well and just remove the missing items, it looks fine without them. The toilet isn't correct anyway so you can just add one from another bathroom if you have one.

I can't remember what shader set is for what, you'll need to add a chrome shader to the taps and every other chrome surface, and there is probably other stuff that won't have the correct surface. But you can always fix that, with any similar shaders you do have.

The grass outside needs:

You may find daz will spit out that something is missing but often times it's just a texture missing that doesn't make much of a difference.

Most of the sets look fine without all of the props.

Sep 2, 2017
Not an art asset as such, but I just wanted to recommend . I've been using TeamViewer to manually and remotely set up render queues, and now I don't have to. Still a good idea to keep an eye on the program from time to time, since it can freeze up, but I no longer gotta check in every hour to see if I can begin the next render.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Not an art asset as such, but I just wanted to recommend . I've been using TeamViewer to manually and remotely set up render queues, and now I don't have to. Still a good idea to keep an eye on the program from time to time, since it can freeze up, but I no longer gotta check in every hour to see if I can begin the next render.
Yes - I've been using this for a while. It's awesome!!

Mobum

Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
I have two questions...

1) When I render a scene sometimes characters do not cast any shadow on the floor. (but the furnitures does..) What do I need to do?

2) I am looking for a genital set for G8M (for Max), any recommendation?

Thanks in advance.

Techn0magier

Jul 2, 2017
If you can afford them. The original in the Michael 8 Pro Bundle. Otherwise "Dicktator" is you only good option.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mobum

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
I have two questions...

1) When I render a scene sometimes characters do not cast any shadow on the floor. (but the furnitures does..) What do I need to do?

Thanks in advance.
Are you rendering using 3Delight or Iray? In Iray, light behaves like light, so you have to figure out what is illuminating your character. (Could it be the camera headlight? You'll never see shadows from it because they're always directly away from the camera.) I don't kow 3Delight well, but there are special settings for shadows in it as I recall - you may have to set a figure to "cast shadows." If you're just starting out, might as well get going with Iray - it's kind of the wave of the future...

Mobum

Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
Are you rendering using 3Delight or Iray? In Iray, light behaves like light, so you have to figure out what is illuminating your character. (Could it be the camera headlight? You'll never see shadows from it because they're always directly away from the camera.) I don't kow 3Delight well, but there are special settings for shadows in it as I recall - you may have to set a figure to "cast shadows." If you're just starting out, might as well get going with Iray - it's kind of the wave of the future...
Thank you for the quick reply! I attached the render I am talking about.

spidermax9.jpg

I used Iray, and as it was indoor scene I used the ceiling lights provided in the scenery only. (And the render setting was "dome and scene"). And no headlamp was on... As the scene was a bit dark so I increased environment intensity to 2.

Reactions: asd33asd33

Techn0magier

Jul 2, 2017
Instead of increasing the environment. Try instead the "Holy Trinity" of photography (ISO, f/stop, Shutter-Speed) with that, IRay should behave like intended. You can find them under tone mapping, in the render settings.

Mobum

Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
Instead of increasing the environment. Try instead the "Holy Trinity" of photography (ISO, f/stop, Shutter-Speed) with that, IRay should behave like intended. You can find them under tone mapping, in the render settings.
Thank you, will try that!

celtic1138

Game Developer
Apr 22, 2017
You have a strong light source pointing at them from behind camera left, it's washing the scene out (Lisa is looking directly at it). You can see it reflected in the mirror. I assume it's your enviroment map, and not a light. Check what the scene looks like with scene only and also with dome only, it'll give you an idea of what each is doing. Try lowering the enviroment intensity and rotating the dome instead, or try a different HDRI for your dome.

Mobum

Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
You have a strong light source pointing at them from behind camera left, it's washing the scene out (Lisa is looking directly at it). You can see it reflected in the mirror. I assume it's your enviroment map, and not a light. Check what the scene looks like with scene only and also with dome only, it'll give you an idea of what each is doing. Try lowering the enviroment intensity and rotating the dome instead, or try a different HDRI for your dome.
Seems I can fix it by rotating the dome, as advised by you. I want to render as professional as you soon.. :) Thanks!

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
ghts provided in the scenery only. (And the render setting was "dome and scene"). And no headlamp was on... As the scene was a bit dark so I increased environment intensity to 2.
As mentioned before, Iray is "physically based", so light behaves the way that, well, light behaves. So you kind of have to think like a photographer when it comes to lighting. "Dome and Scene" implies that environment lighting (render settings) is included. "Scene only" implies that only the lights that exist in the scene are used - the environment "stuff" in the Render Settings is not included. Sometimes that's what you want, some times not. But interior scenes (assuming the ceiling or walls aren't hidden) the scene, as opposed to the dome, should normally provide most of your lighting. And just like photographers have to use film with a greater ISO number inside as opposed to outside, you frequently have to twiddle with those settings in Render Setting when you're inside vs outside.

Mobum

Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
As mentioned before, Iray is "physically based", so light behaves the way that, well, light behaves. So you kind of have to think like a photographer when it comes to lighting. "Dome and Scene" implies that environment lighting (render settings) is included. "Scene only" implies that only the lights that exist in the scene are used - the environment "stuff" in the Render Settings is not included. Sometimes that's what you want, some times not. But interior scenes (assuming the ceiling or walls aren't hidden) the scene, as opposed to the dome, should normally provide most of your lighting. And just like photographers have to use film with a greater ISO number inside as opposed to outside, you frequently have to twiddle with those settings in Render Setting when you're inside vs outside.
As I am not a good photographer myself ISO F/stop shutter speeds comes to me as alien words to me.. :) I will start reading some article about basic photography first. Thank you again for the kind advice, Rich!

Techn0magier

Jul 2, 2017
Got "Dicktator" yesterday and it looks like a... third leg... Thanks!
yep, but you can use morphs to bring it somewhat down. It is fully rigged, which meas, you can shape it to your needs.
That is the problem with Gen8 curretnly is the lack of options for males. Michael8 and G8M was released this summer, so this are the options. That is, why I said, when you can afford them, use the originals. Dicktator is the only other option that can, at least, be used for G8M, without the trouble of extra materials.
And on the bride side, it should be easy now, to recreate the monster thet the MC has in the original game. :)

p.S.: And if you really are disappointed by the options, that dicktator have, you can always use Blender to create new morphs for it. It is always a good idea, to have some basic skills with at least one modeling tool, when you use DAZ.

Last edited:

Mobum

Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
yep, but you can use morphs to bring it somewhat down. It is fully rigged, which meas, you can shape it to your needs.
That is the problem with Gen8 curretnly is the lack of options for males. Michael8 and G9M was released this summer, so this are the options. That is, why I said, when you can afford them, use the originals. Dicktator is the only other option that can, at least, be used for G8M, without the trouble of extra materials.
And on the bride side, it should be easy now, to recreate the monster thet the MC has in the original game. :)

p.S.: And if you really are disappointed by the options, that dicktator have, you can always use Blender to create new morphs for it. It is always a good idea, to have some basic skills with at least one modeling tool, when you use DAZ.
No, I was just surprised by its size, not disappointed at all.. It was quiet difficult to make Lisa open her mouth to fit that size... (and not making her face scary at the same time) Learning blender seems a great idea.. Even though I am currently learning Daz and Renpy as well.. Thanks for the advice!

bubbas

Apr 26, 2017
For those you do not want to register to NVIDIA, I have uploaded nvidia_vmaterials_v1.4 to under the Shader folder!

Installation:
1) Install vMaterials AEC 1.4 for DazStudio and vMaterials Design for DazStudio 1.4. Copy data and Shader Presets folrder of each zip to your library.

nvidia 01.png

2) copy data folder to your data folder in your library.

nvidia 02.png

3) Open DazStudio 4.9
Select [Window] > Panes (Tabs) > Shader Mixer

A new pane will open. It will have its own main menu.
Select [Edit] > MDL Directoy Manager

A new window will open, and will have the following tree inside it.

MDL Directories
- * Current Directories ( the * represents a selection circle that should be selected [or lit])
+ Base Paths

Select Base Paths. You will now have the option to Add a Base Path to the directory. When
you select this , a Windows Explorer window will open. Go to <YOUR DAZ3D LIBRARY> > data > !MDL
selecting the !MDL folde

Click Accept in the MDL Directory Manager and then Apply in the Shader Mixer pane.

That's it! Under Shader Presets in your library you should have !vMaterials which you can apply to any surface. Happy rendering!

nvidia 04.png

Techn0magier

Jul 2, 2017
One thing in advance, when you use these shader presets.
Most of them are way to scaled up. Bring their scale on the X and Y axis down, to achieve better results.