Tool Ren'Py Alternative/ Second save location for RenPy 7.7.1 / 8.2.1 SDK in Android Ports

Wills747

Engaged Member
Dec 14, 2018
Updated to 7.6.1/8.1.1
RenPy 8.1.1/7.6.1 Release
Nothing new from my end, just the upstream fixes.

Of note:
Some antivirus in Android devices are picking up ports as infected. I'm guessing it's because of the storage permissions we need to use a different folder.
Antivirus in Android would be considered a virus itself if it was actually smart enough to read another app's coding.

Mar 6, 2021
Huh, I have security_keys.txt and upgraded.txt in my save folder and this seems like it doesn't right. Any solution how to disable creation of them?

Sod!

Dev FitB Games
Game Developer
Feb 10, 2019
Updated to 7.6.1/8.1.1
RenPy 8.1.1/7.6.1 Release
Nothing new from my end, just the upstream fixes.

Of note: Some antivirus in Android devices are picking up ports as infected. I'm guessing it's because of the storage permissions we need to use a different folder.
Antivirus in Android would be considered a virus itself if it was actually smart enough to read another app's coding.
Thank you so much for this.

On the injection issue, Is there a way to fix that false report of Torjan? maybe something that can be done backend in the code to fix this. It is very difficult to make people understand it's not a Torjan, specially on an official port.

Wills747

Engaged Member
Dec 14, 2018

On the injection issue, Is there a way to fix that false report of Torjan? maybe something that can be done backend in the code to fix this. It is very difficult to make people understand it's not a Torjan, specially on an official port.
Not that I'm aware of, no.
I think Avast is indicating on the all files permissions and that's kinda the core of alternative saves enabling us to move files between seasons, read/write outside of android/data etc.
Not all antivirus are indicating and I think Avast is the only one if you run it through online scanners.

Reactions: Sod!

estrada777

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Mar 22, 2020

We're pretty sure the external save permissions are the culprit.

Reactions: Sod!

Sod!

Dev FitB Games
Game Developer
Feb 10, 2019
Not that I'm aware of, no.
I think Avast is indicating on the all files permissions and that's kinda the core of alternative saves enabling us to move files between seasons, read/write outside of android/data etc.
Not all antivirus are indicating and I think Avast is the only one if you run it through online scanners.
We're pretty sure the external save permissions are the culprit.
Yeah, I tried a couple of AVs which didn't have any problem at all, including Malwarebytes. VirusTotal did highlight the reading/writing permission to be 'dangerous'.

estrada777

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Mar 22, 2020
Yeah, I tried a couple of AVs which didn't have any problem at all, including Malwarebytes. VirusTotal did highlight the reading/writing permission to be 'dangerous'.
Maybe there's a better way to request permissions. There are definitely apps that have external write permissions in the play store and they aren't triggering any warnings.

Brainos

Aug 18, 2017
Could you update your code to the latest nightly release? Since the new git version of renpy changes a lot of code for android, this code for 8.1.1/7.6.1 is no longer compatible with the latest git version. The targetSdkVersion must be higher than 31 since .

estrada777

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Mar 22, 2020
Could you update your code to the latest nightly release? Since the new git version of renpy changes a lot of code for android, this code for 8.1.1/7.6.1 is no longer compatible with the latest git version. The targetSdkVersion must be higher than 31 since .
Stop using unreleased versions and you wont have this problem! :D

Reactions: doujin1

F.Lord

~ Dark Magic ~
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 13, 2018
Hello, Wills747

Do you still have a Ready-to-go version of RenPy 7.5.3 in your archive? I've noticed that versions after that tend to lag on Android, with video playback dropping to around 15 FPS (For some of my latest videos only, I believe the issue might be related to the type of video encoder I use) Thank you for providing this solution.

Wills747

Engaged Member
Dec 14, 2018
Hello, Wills747

Do you still have a Ready-to-go version of RenPy 7.5.3 in your archive? I've noticed that versions after that tend to lag on Android, with video playback dropping to around 15 FPS (For some of my latest videos only, I believe the issue might be related to the type of video encoder I use) Thank you for providing this solution.
Sure, here you go

• Red Heart
Reactions: MikoKju and F.Lord

Wills747

Engaged Member
Dec 14, 2018
Hi all, I have made a package that will enable alternative or second saves in Android ports done on RenPy, currently 7.6.1 and 8.1.1

Based in part on the work done by Naidin and second save mod by DarkAssassin

Recommended Install RenPy 8.1.2/7.6.2/7.5.0.242n pre packaged below.
Bare files are provided as well including optional build naming. If you want to keep track of APK versions this is the easiest way.
- best to apply them before starting RenPy.

Optionally open all the .py and .rpy files and replace "RenPy_Saves" with a folder name of your choice(i.e. Wills747 ;) )
Hope this all makes sense.

By default saves will be in "Documents/RenPy_Saves/"
Also creates "Documents/RenPy_Saves/game.name.here/game" folder. This is now the default search path and mods or update files can be added there in the device.

RenPy 8.1.2/7.6.2 Release
Minor fix in keystore placement for if the game's root folder is deleted/moved after apk built and before continue to Laucher's Aandroid screen

RenPy 8.1.0/7.6.0 Release
Added back in default saves location (thanks estrada777 )
Added function to copy file (GL2_on.rpy) from documents folder(if exists) to game folder pre load. (useful for PowerVR devices, may break videos on others)
(Attached exmple file)
Added autocopy android.keystore/bundle.keystore from rapt to game's project folder(if it doesn't exist in project folder already)
log.txt will now show:
Alternative_Saves_Android_Port
Manufacturer/ Model (standard)
Android Version
Device Architecture
Maybe a few other things I've forgotten.

RenPy 8.0.3/7.5.3 Release
Updated 3/12/22 - Version compatability for Android 5 - 13

RenPy 7.5.0.242n Nightly
Yes it's older but relatively bug free
Backport Android clean and tmp file cleanup.
RenPy changes listed in github, notably some games not going full screen either on start or after task switch.

Current:
RenPy 8.1.2
Includes rapt and ready to go.

RenPy 8.1.2 Bare Files Pack.

RenPy 7.6.2 Includes rapt and ready to go.

RenPy 7.6.2 Bare files pack.

Older Files:

RenPy 7.5.0.242n (Nightly) install Incl rapt with Single Alternative Save ready to go:

Bare files needed for 7.5.0.242n and optional build output naming:

(Some older versions back to 7.4.5 are available on request but typically won't be supported)
Updated for RenPy 8.1.2//7.6.2

Reactions: mazinogamer

iamnamedCid

Apr 17, 2023
Anyway to read rpy and image files from the secondary location? I'm trying to add a patch file into the secondary location, the game doesn't read it unless the data is in Android/data location.

Wills747

Engaged Member
Dec 14, 2018
Anyway to read rpy and image files from the secondary location? I'm trying to add a patch file into the secondary location, the game doesn't read it unless the data is in Android/data location.
It should be reading files from the "documents/game name.here/game" folder, that's where the search path is.

iamnamedCid

Apr 17, 2023
It should be reading files from the "documents/game name.here/game" folder, that's where the search path is.
Yeah I tried adding a png there, same folder structure as it was in the game, but yeah it doesn't read, not sure what I am doing wrong then.
Here is the app I am testing,
I am placing a png file into game/images/cidsports/tbt.png
It should replace the little rgb bar in the mod menu should change to that png, but doesn't seem to work on my side. Both of the devices I tested is Android 13 though.
But it works if I do that inside Android/data folder.
Edit: It is the 8.1.3 version I am using.

Last edited: