• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Tool Ren'Py Alternative/ Second save location for RenPy 7.7.1 / 8.2.1 SDK in Android Ports

Wills747

Engaged Member
Dec 14, 2018
No, this one seems to work also on the new device. I installed the game, made a save and removed the game again. After I re-installed it the save was still there.
Hmmm, that means there's something wrong with your RenPy SDK folder. I've literally used the zip I posted with folder modification changing RenPy_Saves to Wills747
IMO delete it and set it up again.
Use the SDK with rapt included in the first post, you can also add the main.rpy file from my post above to the sdk/renpy folder if you like. It shouldn't be needed but I'll probably use it going forwards.

KoGa3

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Aug 14, 2018
Hmmm, that means there's something wrong with your RenPy SDK folder. I've literally used the zip I posted with folder modification changing RenPy_Saves to Wills747
IMO delete it and set it up again.
Use the SDK with rapt included in the first post, you can also add the main.rpy file from my post above to the sdk/renpy folder if you like. It shouldn't be needed but I'll probably use it going forwards.
Weird. Well, I'll downloaded it again and did a fresh install. Is there something I have to check when installing it? I'll normally install it under C:\Program Files (x86), I did it now in another location. Also at the first start and going to Android I still have to "Install SDK and Create Keys". Is that ok?

Wills747

Engaged Member
Dec 14, 2018
Weird. Well, I'll downloaded it again and did a fresh install. Is there something I have to check when installing it? I'll normally install it under C:\Program Files (x86), I'll did it now in another location. Also at the first start and going to Android I still have to "Install SDK and Create Keys". Is that ok?
I would just put it under c:\ or at the root of another drive.
You should install the SDK, create the keys BUT copy your old keystore file/s from your old renpy rapt folder.
If you create another key it will prevent update installs(one version over another) and you will start getting google play protect warnings again as there won't be many apks out there with the newly generated key.

Reactions: KoGa3

KoGa3

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Aug 14, 2018
I would just put it under c:\ or at the root of another drive.
You should install the SDK, create the keys BUT copy your old keystore file/s from your old renpy rapt folder.
If you create another key it will prevent update installs(one version over another) and you will start getting google play protect warnings again as there won't be many apks out there with the newly generated key.
Thanks for your efforts. Unfortunately, no improvement on my side. Still the same behavior. New download (I used your 8.0.3 package), installed it on "C:", installed the SDK when asked, copied the keys from my working 7.4.10. No further changes from my side. But it's still "ignoring" the second save location.

Well, seems I'm kinda stuck on my 7.4.10 so far. Maybe I use the new one only for new Mods/ports where the base game has already RenPy 7.5 or 8. Again thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Wills747

Engaged Member
Dec 14, 2018
Have just updated Alternative Compressor to create archive.rpa from media files, RPA and APK files can be zipped and distributed together. RPA needs to be put in the search path after installing and running the apk(creates folders) I.E. Documents/RenPy_Saves/ com.game.name/game.
This has the advantage of:
a) Bypassing the 2gb APK limit and can be installed from Android 5 up.
b) Smaller apk updates. Once the RPA is in place you can use the original folder minus the original media and add the updated media and scripts.

Wills747

Engaged Member
Dec 14, 2018
it doesn't give me this error when i use the normal renpy
IMO it's because of the path length.
Windows has a MAX_PATH limit of ~256 characters. If the length of the path and filename combined exceed ~256 characters you will be able to see the path/files via the Windows Explorer, but may not be able to delete/move/rename these paths/files.

See here for one possible solution:

Reactions: mazinogamer

mazinogamer

Dec 2, 2022
IMO it's because of the path length.
Windows has a MAX_PATH limit of ~256 characters. If the length of the path and filename combined exceed ~256 characters you will be able to see the path/files via the Windows Explorer, but may not be able to delete/move/rename these paths/files.

See here for one possible solution:
thanks, I managed by shortening the renpy folder name

Reactions: Wills747