Ren'Py Abandoned After Class [v0.05] [RAR Games]

2.70 star(s) 3 Votes

micojive

Oct 2, 2017
I think the renders are pretty good so far, at least the characters are attractive. That dick tho...it is literally bigger than both girls entire torso...completely ridiculous to the point of just laughing when he whipped it out.

phreakinowski

Dec 1, 2017
I think the renders are pretty good so far, at least the characters are attractive. That dick tho...it is literally bigger than both girls entire torso...completely ridiculous to the point of just laughing when he whipped it out.
Yeah... dude's got a major case of "Horse Dick" going on... a real negative in my opinion. Going big is fine, but come on, the guy would pass out every time he got a woody from the lack blood to his brain because it would take like 3 pints to pump up that giant horse cock.

supermanz95

Aug 7, 2016
Lol everyone keeps talking about the size of the dick... It looks normal to me... Maybe I'm larger than average? I didn't enlarge it... its the size that the futalicious gen comes in...
Thats what you get for photo scanning your dick into the game mate, average lads such as us put the smaller fellas into insecure corner

Reactions: monkeybird69

Bagger288

Jul 11, 2017
Eh. Not a game I'd follow, but good enough for low-energy nights iff the filesize stays within impulse limits.

I was positively surprised by the animations - thought had been put into those. My biggest gripe would be with the initial branch, where all three extant branches were so similar that I was only 40% confident there was any point in clicking through that scene a second (and third) time. I would suggest refactoring the code to allow the skip button to work there, but that's a bunch of work for a relatively minor QoL feature, or adding exclusive poses to each to make it clear that half the content is behind those.

Reactions: Darkaura
Aug 22, 2017
This also sounds like a good scenario for image mapping which I need to learn to do for the next game. If anyone has any pointers on how to do image mapping I would be very grateful.
You need to learn renpy. That's more than just a couple pointers. Making a scheduling system is comparably easy, try to learn python by implementing a scheduler, and try to learn renpy by making a few screens with buttons that let you manage this scheduler in the game, and once you've figured that out, it's easy to simply expand on that. You don't need to release the first version of that, just do it for yourself so you figure out how things work.
If anyone has any good renpy technical tips that you think could improve the game I would even credit them in the game for their help.
Where to even start? You need to create screens, those screens contain imagebuttons, and you enable alpha masking. Don't use imagemaps, they're outdated compared to imagebuttons. From an UI perspective, I recommend against "making background objects clickable", such as clicking on doors, this forces the player to go pixel hunting and will result in him missing out on stuff (or give him the feeling he might have missed out on stuff) Instead, use buttons in an overlay so you clearly communicate to the player what his options on a particular screen are, as a more graphically appealing alternative to a (text) menu.

bas

retired
Respected User
Donor
Former Staff
May 6, 2017
You need to learn renpy. That's more than just a couple pointers. Making a scheduling system is comparably easy, try to learn python by implementing a scheduler, and try to learn renpy by making a few screens with buttons that let you manage this scheduler in the game, and once you've figured that out, it's easy to simply expand on that. You don't need to release the first version of that, just do it for yourself so you figure out how things work.

Where to even start? You need to create screens, those screens contain imagebuttons, and you enable alpha masking. Don't use imagemaps, they're outdated compared to imagebuttons. From an UI perspective, I recommend against "making background objects clickable", such as clicking on doors, this forces the player to go pixel hunting and will result in him missing out on stuff (or give him the feeling he might have missed out on stuff) Instead, use buttons in an overlay so you clearly communicate to the player what his options on a particular screen are, as a more graphically appealing alternative to a (text) menu.
That was one huge drink from a fire-hose man. :) But all good advice, if you have the time and inclination.

Best tip I can give you is this: Use the Unren tool here on the forum to unpack and decompile renpy games that you find something cool in and then dig in to see how it works so you can recreate in your game. Many things are surprisingly simple, and very easy to customize once you get the hang of them.

In my experience, it's simply not practical to try to learn an entire language for the sake of learning it. What works for me is find something you want to do with it, learn how to do that, and move on to the next thing in your day.

Personally, I'd recommend you stay away from sandbox games in renpy. It can be done, but doing it well is very complicated and requires a tremendous amount of skill and work. If you get to the point that you want a game that complex, move on to Unity.

Aug 22, 2017
In my experience, it's simply not practical to try to learn an entire language for the sake of learning it.
That's precisely not what he's gonna do. He's gonna make a game - a shit one, make no mistake about it - but in making a game, he's going to acquire the renpy skills needed to make a game that's not quite as shit. And once he's made that game, he'll have the skills to make a game that may not even be shit at all, and so forth. You best learn by doing, by creating. That way you're confronted with the actual problems.

Personally, I'd recommend you stay away from sandbox games in renpy. It can be done, but doing it well is very complicated and requires a tremendous amount of skill and work. If you get to the point that you want a game that complex, move on to Unity.
I disagree strongly. Renpy supports sandbox-like stuff just as much as Unity, RPGM, QSP or Twine do. The nature of a sandbox just forces you to think a little bit more about everything in advance, and do a little more coding - such as a scheduler, basic "AI" for NPCs. Just look at the games that are being made, easily more than half of renpy games on here have some sort of sandbox. It's not hard, and the difficulties that come with "opening" a game aren't solved by an SDK, they're such that you need to create a world for the player to move around in, rather than string a few scenes together.

Reactions: bas
Aug 22, 2017
all I ever find is an ancient renpy forum that mostly doesn't work with the new version.
The lemmasoft forum is still active, with lots of people posting there, go ahead and get an account and look through the code example forums. The problem is that google points you to threads & answers from 5-10 years ago that are indeed out of date.

The renpy online manual should be fairly current however, at least renpytom, renpys dev insists it is. It's not the best documentation, but it's enough to get you into things. Do peruse the lemmasoft forum however. Now for something like a day/night cycling scheduler, that's not a renpy problem, that's a "you need to learn to do even basic programming" problem. But this would be a good opportunity for you, just create a basic renpy game and implement your basic scheduler, controlling it using renpys own facilities using placeholder graphics, refining it as you need. Once you've got that figured out, and maybe added functionality like "Person X is only there during time Y", it's trivial to adapt it to a proper game.

supermanz95

Aug 7, 2016
I wish this site would allow my other game here. I have some skill in renpy that isn't shown with this game... I feel like everyone is judging my entire short career by this very half assed game that I never intended to be more than just a quick fuck visual novel.
And why would they not allow your game here?

U

User_10739

I have central air so I don't worry about overheating... I'll play your game if you pm me a link, I went looking on itchy.xx and couldn't find it. Boss is busy telling everyone how great klx is :p so I'll do the honors.

OP updated to v0.05

Reactions: bas

bagodoughnuts

Jan 7, 2018
I liked it, but is it only 5 minutes or did I screw up. Tried each reply to the short girl and got different scenes, but then it ends.

Moviebuff3000

Dec 9, 2017
0.05 Was a waste of a download at least give us something to chew on before uploading it even if you are having heat problems.

privitude

Jun 26, 2017
What the...

Ok, the last update was short, but this one? I feel like I'm being trolled here. There's like...five or six paragraphs of dialogue added, followed by "storyline in development." Why would you release it at this stage? Wait until you've actually added something.

bas

retired
Respected User
Donor
Former Staff
May 6, 2017
Ok, I'm done. I won't be answering any more comments on here. You people are ungrateful, whiny, and disrespectful. If you don't like a game then don't play it. If you don't like what I do then move along. Just like I'm doing right now. Hope you enjoyed the free game. It'll be the last one from me.
The most disrespectful posts on your game's thread were from you towards our members and I deleted them. Your posts shitting on other developer's games on their threads are still on the forum. Your posts on this thread whining about Patreon banning your "misunderstood" game with a midget that everyone keeps "mistaking" for is a kid are still here too.

Hypocrisy is funny.

2.70 star(s) 3 Votes