Tads Completed XXX-Men, Ch. 2 -- Fast Times at the Xavier Institute [v1.0.0] [Alec Roberts]

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

Aetrun

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not really up for playtesting, but I will say I am thrilled to see you have a second chapter for us. Loved the first installment, and greatly looking forward to playing the second.

Doctor Shark

Nov 7, 2019
Oof, super excited to see a new chapter, guess I should put this thread on the watchlist so I don't miss playtest offers and update news.

Reactions: alecroberts

VoltGenma

Apr 28, 2020
Hm, I've never seen anything like that. What OS and interpreter are you using? Or are you just using the pre-packaged .exe on Windows?
I'm getting the same thing. Using the .exe, windows 10. I fired up the first chapter since I remember that one working back when I played it. The same error shows up but the game still starts up, no idea why chapter two won't start

alecroberts

Jul 8, 2022
I'm getting the same thing. Using the .exe, windows 10. I fired up the first chapter since I remember that one working back when I played it. The same error shows up but the game still starts up, no idea why chapter two won't start
How strange. It's working fine for me on Windows 10, and I can't think of any relevant differences between the first and second chapters.

If I were you I'd try downloading the HTML TADS interpreter ( ) and running the .t3 file instead of the .exe.

If that doesn't work, your fallback is to use Parchment, which is a web-based interpreter ( ). The only thing it fails on is text formatted in tables, which means that a couple of the minigames will not be drawn properly. It's not a huge deal--you can just skip those two minigames when they come up.

(By the way, this one issue with tables is the biggest reason why Parchment isn't the default/recommended way to play my games in the first place. I looked into it a little, but it didn't seem like an easy problem to solve ( ). If someone were to make a fully-featured web-based HTML TADS interpreter, that would be pretty fantastic, though! :p Then people could play my games right on itch.io without downloading anything. I might at some point devote some effort to working on this, since it seems like the best way to "future-proof" my games, i.e. make sure they continue to be playable into the unforeseeable future.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Doctor Shark

VoltGenma

Apr 28, 2020
How strange. It's working fine for me on Windows 10, and I can't think of any relevant differences between the first and second chapters.

If I were you I'd try downloading the HTML TADS interpreter ( ) and running the .t3 file instead of the .exe.

If that doesn't work, your fallback is to use Parchment, which is a web-based interpreter ( ). The only thing it fails on is text formatted in tables, which means that a couple of the minigames will not be drawn properly. It's not a huge deal--you can just skip those two minigames when they come up.

(By the way, this one issue with tables is the biggest reason why Parchment isn't the default/recommended way to play my games in the first place. I looked into it a little, but it didn't seem like an easy problem to solve ( ). If someone were to make a fully-featured web-based HTML TADS interpreter, that would be pretty fantastic, though! :p Then people could play my games right on itch.io without downloading anything. I might at some point devote some effort to working on this, since it seems like the best way to "future-proof" my games, i.e. make sure they continue to be playable into the unforeseeable future.)
The standalone player doesn't work, same error and result, the browser version is working. I'll sit on it a bit and hope you find a solution since I'd like to see the minigames, but no worries if you can't. I know shit like this can be finnicky

BobertJoe

Aug 9, 2016
I had the same issue. The normal TADS interpreter also didnt work. I used QTADS and have had no issues.

Also Im very disappointed that I cant type "x avier" or "x men". Please fix.

alecroberts

Jul 8, 2022
I had the same issue. The normal TADS interpreter also didnt work. I used QTADS and have had no issues.

Also Im very disappointed that I cant type "x avier" or "x men". Please fix.
Oh, thanks for mentioning QTads ( ). That's also a good option. I didn't think of it because for some reason it has really weird issues on my computer, but it does at least render the tables correctly!

P.S. You may be happy to learn that "x x" does work (since "x" is recognized as part of the vocab "professor x"). ;)

Reactions: Doctor Shark

DraKeoniS

May 11, 2020
I have to say i really loved your game ^^ i am a big fan of tads and adrift kind of game and i am always glad to see a new one coming out, even more when it’s one of my favorite franchise.
Ps: Oh, i found a small error in the game, not game breaking however, once you finish the study scene with jubilee you can still type study in the room and your score keep going up while the textbook is duplicated, it seem it also send jubilee in the kitchen again like she do once the original scene end.

alecroberts

Jul 8, 2022
I have to say i really loved your game ^^ i am a big fan of tads and adrift kind of game and i am always glad to see a new one coming out, even more when it’s one of my favorite franchise.
Ps: Oh, i found a small error in the game, not game breaking however, once you finish the study scene with jubilee you can still type study in the room and your score keep going up while the textbook is duplicated, it seem it also send jubilee in the kitchen again like she do once the original scene end.
Glad you enjoyed the game!

Good catch on that study bug, and thanks for letting me know. I'll probably put out a v1.0.1 at some point that fixes it.

Mordecai77

Jul 11, 2017
question, how to get jubilee out of the pool?

btw, LOVES TADS GAME! x-men theme game? BRILLIANT, thank you for making this game

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes